Dana White: ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira has agreed to retire after UFC 190

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

RIO DE JANEIRO -- It appears that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira won’t be entering the Octagon anymore.

The former UFC and PRIDE heavyweight champion suffered his third straight loss at UFC 190, losing via decision to Stefan Struve. UFC president Dana Whiteannounced at the post-fight press conference that "Minotauro" has agreed to retire after Saturday’s fight.

"I love ‘Big Nog’, and I think everybody loves ‘Big Nog’. He is such a good guy," White said after UFC 190 at the HSBC Arena. "He's respected by everybody. He and I actually talked tonight and I'm done. I don't want to see him fight anymore."

Nogueira entered the UFC in 2007 and won back-to-back fights against Heath Herring and Tim Sylvia to claim the interim heavyweight title, but bounced between wins and losses over his next six bouts before entering a three-fight losing streak.

Dana White: ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira has agreed to retire after UFC 190 - MMA Fighting

Last edited by a moderator:

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I have a hard time taking combat sports retirements very seriously, but if this is the end for Nog, he was one of my favorites when I started getting into the sport. His perseverance and ability to recover to win was something to behold.

Kinosis

May 26, 2015
Good decision, but at least Nog can feel proud he didn't get KO'd by Struve like Miocic did.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dudes had a long, storied career. I hope this really is it for him and he enjoys the fruits of his labor.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I agree he needs to retire, but to offer him a spot....why? What about all the other guys who are and was just as big as Nog?

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
A real hero in my eyes, still pissed that I missed his seminar back in Sweden because of Visa bullshit. Fuck Visas.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Regardless, I'm about sick and tired of dfw going out in the media and announcing he's the decider of fighter retirements.
As if blaf "cares" about anything with a heartbeat other than his own.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I hope he went out on his terms and not Danas...Sure it's a good call but if Nog retired because Dana forced his hand then I'm not cool with that.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I agree he needs to retire, but to offer him a spot....why? What about all the other guys who are and was just as big as Nog?
Big Nog is huge in Brazil. I'm sure it will be some ambassadorial role for the sport/UFC in Brazil. He'll trot out on a few occasions, shake hands, take a few pictures, and cash his cheques.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Big Nog is huge in Brazil. I'm sure it will be some ambassadorial role for the sport/UFC in Brazil. He'll trot out on a few occasions, shake hands, take a few pictures, and cash his cheques.
Im sure as well but there are alot of other guys who have contributed to the sport that the UFC could do the same with, makes you wonder why the select a few. Chuck well im sure he was danas party buddy, Forrest who knows. Matt was a legit choice

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Hopefully, the man is a legend and a good man from all I hear and have read....... I can't remember who wrote that book (off the top of my head) "a fighters heart" I think, but it was stated that there is so much "love" and friendliness coming from him. I could only feel that he is a man I would have liked to be associated with.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The thing is, Nog looked old. But he's looked old for years, and the same since birth.
Watch him come out and somehow overcome his next guy.
This isn't it for him. No way.
He needs to headline his retirement fight, and it should be in stone, by his own hand.
UFC 194: "3's a charm" Mir/Nog III
MMA owes him a little more.