VID Dana White: Conor vs Khabib 'trending close to 3 million' PPV buys

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
A week ago Meltzer said the trending numbers could be in the 2-2.25m area but usually early trends are higher than the final numbers
I can see 2m, 3m is crazy IMO

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
dana pretty much just pulls these numbers out of his ass

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Meltzer:
The biggest show of the year, and if we are to believe that early trending figures are accurate, a show that will blow away all previous MMA numbers, UFC 229, takes place on 10/6 at the T Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

I want to mention that before the first MSG show we were told about ridiculous trends and biggest ever and two million buys and it didn’t come remotely close. That was Conor McGregor’s last fight, so it’s easy to be skeptical of 2.2 million to 2.6 million projections or Dana White’s publicly throwing around the three million number.

Based on beyond record presales I’ve been told the company would actually be disappointed with a two million buy number at this point.

The one thing is the big ones are the hardest to predict, because so much of this depends on the cultural buzz the day of the show. But if a fight explodes and the day of the show it becomes something everyone wants to see, the sky is the limit. The advance orders being way ahead of any UFC show in history is a reliable metric to predict it will do well.

But the all-time record is 1.6 million for the second McGregor vs. Nate Diaz fight, so the numbers they are talking about are a gigantic jump at a time when most UFC shows are doing under 300,000 and the last one did 130,000. That said, using the same logic of what McGregor and Mayweather’s prior fights did before facing each other, their number also made no sense.

It’s really down to the work McGregor does in the final three days of promotion and he did pull 4.3 million in the U.S. alone and probably close to 6 million worldwide in his Mayweather fight.

-

I thought the bold was very interesting

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Wishful thinking by the Egg.
I think it will be around 1.6 million buys.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Conor said it was trending towards 3-3.5M during the press conference, but even Dana gave a look as if to say “slow down kid.”