Dana White fires back at Conor McGregor, claims he turned down short-notice fight at UFC 249

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shorinji

Intergalactic Destroyer of Souls
Oct 25, 2015

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
It is interesting that he would publicly call him out for that. One day Dana says that it would be tough to give up the gate $ Conor brings in and that he would be smart to wait to fight the winner of Khabib/Justin. Soon after, he calls out his biggest star for saying he is not a "replacement fighter" despite the fact that he has previously praised Conor for being willing to step in on short notice and how he will fight anyone. Which is it Dana? The dude is schizo.
1591804594222.png

M

member 3289

Short-notice fights and Conor McGregor will never be a possible combination. Conor is the greatest showman and self-promoter we have ever seen in combat sports. There's a reason he made $30 million or more for the Khabib fight and $30 million or more for the Cerrone fight.

But I also smell bullshit with what Dana is saying. The UFC needs time to promote a Conor fight so that they can make money. More money for Conor also means more money for the UFC.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Short-notice fights and Conor McGregor will never be a possible combination. Conor is the greatest showman and self-promoter we have ever seen in combat sports. There's a reason he made $30 million or more for the Khabib fight and $30 million or more for the Cerrone fight.

But I also smell bullshit with what Dana is saying. The UFC needs time to promote a Conor fight so that they can make money. More money for Conor also means more money for the UFC.
back when everyone used to like Conor, he used to take short-notice fights (mendes, diaz)

you can tell Conor lost the fire now since money is the priority for him. Not sure how successful he'd be against an actual competition

M

member 3289

back when everyone used to like Conor, he used to take short-notice fights (mendes, diaz)

you can tell Conor lost the fire now since money is the priority for him. Not sure how successful he'd be against an actual competition
The Nate fight/UFC 196 was something he had already been promoting against RDA. Much different than Conor being the one to step in on late notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

I believe he's referencing the first Nate fight which was on a handful of days notice. Conor used to brag about not caring who he fought.
I'm aware. I meant to type 196.

In that fight, it was Nate who was the short-notice replacement, not Conor.

M

member 3289

do you think todays conor will take on short-notice replacement?
I think it would depend on the opponent and how short-notice we're talking about.

Khabib or Nate Diaz? Probably not.

Someone like Tony Ferguson who uses his face to protect his hands? Yes.

M

member 3289

wasn't Tony offered for 249??
I explained this. Conor is ok taking short-notice fights when he's the headliner and his opponent drops out, but he doesn't jump into someone else's shit late-notice because he needs time to sell the fight.

After his horrendous performance against Gaethje do you honestly think Ferguson would've lasted more than a round against Conor?

Lay off the Cali weed if so.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I explained this. Conor is ok taking short-notice fights when he's the headliner and his opponent drops out, but he doesn't jump into someone else's shit late-notice because he needs time to sell the fight.

After his horrendous performance against Gaethje do you honestly think Ferguson would've lasted more than a round against Conor?

Lay off the Cali weed if so.
well he still lost the fire and money is the top priority for him now

yea Ferguson would have gone way more than a round, he took all that shots from Gaethje, and Conor is known to gas out as fight goes on

Cali weed is the best bro

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
It is interesting that he would publicly call him out for that. One day Dana says that it would be tough to give up the gate $ Conor brings in and that he would be smart to wait to fight the winner of Khabib/Justin. Soon after, he calls out his biggest star for saying he is not a "replacement fighter" despite the fact that he has previously praised Conor for being willing to step in on short notice and how he will fight anyone. Which is it Dana? The dude is schizo.
View attachment 6979
Stop bringing logic into any discussions, you’re starting to make sense and I don’t like people messing with my friend Dana....I’m gonna text him and tel him about you so he’ll shut you off on social media

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Stop bringing logic into any discussions, you’re starting to make sense and I don’t like people messing with my friend Dana....I’m gonna text him and tel him about you so he’ll shut you off on social media
XVdl.gif

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I really do like the guy for giving us a view into the inner workings for the most part, but he does contradict himself a lot, whether it’s marketing or not, you’ll all hate when this corporate machine that acts aloof doesn’t have him anymore....I’ll miss my friend when he’s done

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
View attachment 6979
not a schizo, just not good at his job.