Dana White Guarantees Rousey vs Cyborg would do 2m buys

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He left out the part where Cain vs. Jones and GSP vs. Anderson would also be on the card.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'll be shocked if this fight ever happens. And if it does, there's no way it does 2 million buys. 750k max and that's with a stack main card to go with it.

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
He left out the part where Cain vs. Jones and GSP vs. Anderson would also be on the card.
that would still not do close to 2m.

Rousey vs Cyborg
Brock Lesnar vs Kimbo Slice
Jon Jones in return fight vs whoever champ is
GSP and Anderson Silva vs each other in their return fights
CM Punk vs Power Ranger

And a Gina Carano mid show striptease.

MIGHT

and it's still a big MIGHT, do 2m.

If Rousey/Cyborg made it over 1m (I don't believe it would), it would have done phenomenally well and be a huge success. I think as Dana probably knows it's not really going to happen, he can say whatever number he wants as he won't ever get proved wrong.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I'll be shocked if this fight ever happens. And if it does, there's no way it does 2 million buys. 750k max and that's with a stack main card to go with it.
If Ronda vs cat did 700 I could see a million but 2 million is ludicrous.

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
If Ronda vs cat did 700 I could see a million but 2 million is ludicrous.
I thought Ronda/Cat did around 600? I think it'd probably do under 1m, but, that's not out of the question. It would have been a reasonable thing to say.

Now if they do 1m, which would be a huge achievement, it still looks like they didn't achieve what they set out to with the fight. At least, to anyone who takes Dana's comments seriously and thinks he actually believes the stuff he says anyway.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
I thought Ronda/Cat did around 600? I think it'd probably do under 1m, but, that's not out of the question. It would have been a reasonable thing to say.

Now if they do 1m, which would be a huge achievement, it still looks like they didn't achieve what they set out to with the fight. At least, to anyone who takes Dana's comments seriously and thinks he actually believes the stuff he says anyway.
You may be right it was between 600-700. It was expected to do around 300. That was a terrible card as well. If done right with a legit co main. Not Pennington vs Holm I could see a million.

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
You may be right it was between 600-700. It was expected to do around 300. That was a terrible card as well. If done right with a legit co main. Not Pennington vs Holm I could see a million.
Yeah 1m wouldn't shock me with the right card, I'd still venture it's a case of "it could" rather than "it will", but I'd love to be proved wrong.

That Rousey/Zingano card really was a one fight card, so to do over 600k was outstanding. Anthony Pettis with two title fights did what, around 350k I think without checking? I know it was RDA, not the most marketable challenger, but still.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
So let's review the fights that Dana said would be huge.
Fedor vs Randy
Fedor vs Brock
Gsp vs Silva
Silva vs Jones
Ronda vs cyborg
Does anyone else notice a similarity with all these fights ?

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
So let's review the fights that Dana said would be huge.
Fedor vs Randy
Fedor vs Brock
Gsp vs Silva
Silva vs Jones
Ronda vs cyborg
Does anyone else notice a similarity with all these fights ?
yeah, and there is a genuine part of me that thinks deep down he knows this fight isn't happening so he can pluck whatever number he wants. When it's a fight that's actually going to happen like Conor/Aldo, it's "yeah, we are totally gonna do 1m for this".

Think about the context here too, he's not long finished a bunch of promotion for that fight, which he is insisting is basically the biggest thing they've ever done in terms of the promotion they've put into it, and he's saying that'll do 1m. We haven't even got to that show yet, and he's inadvertently talking it down by playing up Cyborg/Rousey.

Saying Cyborg/Rousey is twice as big as Aldo/McGregor doesn't make Cyborg/Rousey look huge, it makes Aldo/McGregor look small.

fwiw, I think both fights will do around the same sort of figure, somewhere between 750k and 1m. If either does over 1m that will be a great achievement and shouldn't be downplayed, certainly not by Dana throwing stupid numbers around that make them seem like failures in comparison.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
that would still not do close to 2m.

Rousey vs Cyborg
Brock Lesnar vs Kimbo Slice
Jon Jones in return fight vs whoever champ is
GSP and Anderson Silva vs each other in their return fights
CM Punk vs Power Ranger

And a Gina Carano mid show striptease.

MIGHT

and it's still a big MIGHT, do 2m.

If Rousey/Cyborg made it over 1m (I don't believe it would), it would have done phenomenally well and be a huge success. I think as Dana probably knows it's not really going to happen, he can say whatever number he wants as he won't ever get proved wrong.
Gina alone does 10m :)..Id drink her bath water with a Krazy straw..

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
All those shills on that other board would have you believe that nobody outside of the most hardcore fans even knows who Cyborg is, but according to Dana she's already one of the biggest draws in MMA.

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
All those shills on that other board would have you believe that nobody outside of the most hardcore fans even knows who Cyborg is, but according to Dana she's already one of the biggest draws in MMA.
There is a difference though between this fight drawing, and her being a draw. Dana isn't saying she's one of the biggest draws in MMA, he's saying the fight is THE biggest draw in MMA. It's a specific situation. Her fight with Gina did good numbers. Cyborg was not a draw in any sense once Gina was gone though.

Same really applies here. Rousey is a draw, Rousey vs Cyborg is an even bigger draw. Cyborg vs anyone else is not.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Same really applies here. Rousey is a draw, Rousey vs Cyborg is an even bigger draw. Cyborg vs anyone else is not.
You can't really state that with any certainty since Cyborg has yet to fight in the UFC. Cyborg vs Miesha or Cat would probably draw decent numbers for a WMMA fight, especially with the full weight of the UFC's marketing team behind it. Obviously I don't believe for a minute that Ronda vs Cyborg would actually do 2 million in pay per view sales.

May 20, 2015
This is the only fight i can see Rodan Rousey losing and its by shear power. knockout. that why its comelling.
but shes far more skilled and would not put my child but maybe my leg on the line (went crazy deep) that ronda would win.

Stephen J Rivers

Mar 14, 2015
You can't really state that with any certainty since Cyborg has yet to fight in the UFC. Cyborg vs Miesha or Cat would probably draw decent numbers for a WMMA fight, especially with the full weight of the UFC's marketing team behind it. Obviously I don't believe for a minute that Ronda vs Cyborg would actually do 2 million in pay per view sales.
The fact Cyborg has yet to fight in the UFC, and that she is fighting in front of barely anybody with almost no one watching on Fight Pass, doesn't mean that we don't know if she's a draw yet. It means she's not one. When you go through the numbers attached to her fights she never has been.

Her fight against Carano did well, nothing else has. Once Gina was gone Strikeforce were stuck with a champion that was tough to promote. She did nothing to move the needle at all.

Nobody is compelled to go out and sign up for Fight Pass because they get to see her fight Charmaine Tweet or Faith van Duin. Plenty of fighters have been able to get people watching their fights without the UFC. Cyborg is not one of them. If her name was sufficient to sell pay per views, somebody would have signed her and been making money off promoting her.

If she turned up in the UFC tomorrow and was fighting anyone other than Ronda, she wouldn't get anywhere near a main event, let alone a pay per view one. There would be no money there.

Rousey is the only individual draw in women's MMA as of right now. Not Tate, not Zingano, definitely not Cyborg. None of them move the needle. None of them have a notoriety or presence at this point that translates into pay per view buys, and of those Cyborg is the one who has had the least exposure by a fair distance..

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Obviously Dana would hype the shit out of Cyborg, showing clips of her crushing her opponents and how she's the baddest at 145, Ronda is the baddest at 135 and this is a true super fight etc etc.