Dana White: Jon Jones, Chris Weidman wanted to fight each other at MSG

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

LAS VEGAS -- The UFC could have had a historic superfight on its hands at Madison Square Garden.

UFC president Dana White said in a Q&A during the UFC Fan Expo that Jon Jones and Chris Weidman were both interested in fighting each other on the UFC's first card in New York if the state legalized MMA this year.

"Chris Weidman and Jon Jones wanted to fight each other to see who was the King of New York," White said. "We were talking about that for a while."

Weidman hails from Long Island, N.Y., and still lives and trains there. Jones is from upstate New York, though he now lives and trains in Albuquerque, N.M. White was not clear on whether that would have been a 205-pound title fight or something at a catchweight.

Of course, multiple circumstances went into busting that dream fight for the time beinhg.

Jones was arrested in April on a felony hit-and-run charge. He's still awaiting his fate, which is in the hands of the Bernalillo (N.M.) Country district attorney. The UFC suspended Jones indefinitely and stripped him of the light heavyweight title a day after his arrest. "Bones" remains the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but no one knows when he'll fight again.

Also, last month the MMA bill died again in the New York State Assembly. After eight straight years passing through the Senate by a wide margin, the legislation was not brought to a vote in the Assembly -- again. The UFC was more hopeful this year than any other before due to the arrest of now ex-Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver on fraud charges. Silver was believed to be the man most responsible for keeping MMA out of New York.

Dana White: Jon Jones, Chris Weidman wanted to fight each other at MSG - MMA Fighting

Last edited by a moderator:

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
And they were gonna build a stadium for Fedor..

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
"Chris Weidman and Jon Jones wanted to fight each other to see who was the King of New York," White said. "We were talking about that for a while."
Dana's the kind of guy who probably thinks sequels are always better than the original movie.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
He is also the guy that will say anything even if there's no truth to it.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
"I'm tellin' you, China is gonna happen. Bruce and Conor have been jawing at each other for a while now. Lorenzo and I have discussed it and we're sure about it, about the possibility of it. We'll reopen the offices we closed in Hong Kong for this one. Not that they ever closed. Who fuckin' told you THAT? The offices, I'll show you the lease right here. I don't have it on me, okay? But I'll show it to you right now. They're open, and we're going to open them if we have to.

Listen, UFC is really ramping up in Asia this year. Asia can't get enough of us. I got kids 2 and 3 years old running down the fuckin' streets of Shanghai, the only words they know is 'UFC'.

And you know, Ireland and China have that intense rivalry that goes deep anyway. So these guys are gonna do it.

And let me tell ya, Bruce ain't dead. That man lives in a coffin because it's harder, because that's the Chinese way. And he's one of the few who can do that.

Bruce and I get along. He's a good kid. We're close to signing him---we've signed him, got his signature, and it's a done deal as soon as he signs off on it. I don't know if his flight, if he's on the flight right this second, I'm not God so I couldn't tell ya. I'm told he's probably on a plane right now. Kid flies all the time, as much as Conor. Doesn't even phase him.

So I don't really know what's happening in China but we got Bruce Lee and Conor McGregor, possibly in New York but we're looking at China, Ireland, Oakland, places like that. Does that answer your fuckin' question?"

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
By "we were talking about that for a while", he means Chris mentioned it in a couple of interviews.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Speaking of which, if we had legitimate rival promotions, a true superfight gets it best definition automatically---a unification title fight between the org champions. Of course, that would involve cross-promotion, so...

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Speaking of which, if we had legitimate rival promotions, a true superfight gets it best definition automatically---a unification title fight between the org champions. Of course, that would involve cross-promotion, so...
I'd be happy if they made it win a belt and minimum 5 defenses or a generation of contenders cleaned out or something. Weidman qualifies in none of that.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
There hasnt really been a superfight that i can remember, they have his idea of if they say superfight people will go nuts. Plus if they have an actual superfight then they have no excuse to have Rousey meet in the middle at 140. Without superfights they can demand Cyborg drop to 135.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Gaethje vs RDA is a Super fight I want..

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
"I'm tellin' you, China is gonna happen. Bruce and Conor have been jawing at each other for a while now. Lorenzo and I have discussed it and we're sure about it, about the possibility of it. We'll reopen the offices we closed in Hong Kong for this one. Not that they ever closed. Who fuckin' told you THAT? The offices, I'll show you the lease right here. I don't have it on me, okay? But I'll show it to you right now. They're open, and we're going to open them if we have to.

Listen, UFC is really ramping up in Asia this year. Asia can't get enough of us. I got kids 2 and 3 years old running down the fuckin' streets of Shanghai, the only words they know is 'UFC'.

And you know, Ireland and China have that intense rivalry that goes deep anyway. So these guys are gonna do it.

And let me tell ya, Bruce ain't dead. That man lives in a coffin because it's harder, because that's the Chinese way. And he's one of the few who can do that.

Bruce and I get along. He's a good kid. We're close to signing him---we've signed him, got his signature, and it's a done deal as soon as he signs off on it. I don't know if his flight, if he's on the flight right this second, I'm not God so I couldn't tell ya. I'm told he's probably on a plane right now. Kid flies all the time, as much as Conor. Doesn't even phase him.

So I don't really know what's happening in China but we got Bruce Lee and Conor McGregor, possibly in New York but we're looking at China, Ireland, Oakland, places like that. Does that answer your fuckin' question?"
hahah awesome!

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015

One of my favorite posts of all times. Thank you sir!

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

He's a good kid. Bwahahahahaha!!!