Dana White: Lawler/RDA winner will fight Woodley for the title

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It sounds like Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos will determine the next UFC welterweight title challenger – not Stephen Thompson vs. Jorge Masvidal or Demian Maia vs. Colby Covington. That’s according to UFC president Dana White, who told the assembled media at the UFC 217 pre-fight press conference in Toronto on Friday that the Lawler vs. dos Anjos winner will be next in line to fight champion Tyron Woodley.

The UFC announced Thursday that Lawler — a former welterweight champ — and dos Anjos — a former lightweight champ — will headline UFC on FOX 26 in December.

Lawler took a year off after the Woodley knockout loss. He…

White confirms Lawler vs. RDA winner fights Woodley next

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
What about Masvidal?
Masvidal hasn't beaten anyone in the top ten, I don't think, except Cerrone, if he was in it. But I think Cerrone was over-ranked at that time anyway.

I think he did well against Maia, but I agree with the RDA vs. Lawler winner getting the shot.

Masvidal hasn't beaten anyone in the top ten, I don't think, except Cerrone, if he was in it. But I think Cerrone was over-ranked at that time anyway.

I think he did well against Maia, but I agree with the RDA vs. Lawler winner getting the shot.
I think he's the only guy at that weight who has the skills and the durability to decisively beat Woodley but you do make solid points.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
you might be right, the funny thing is egg is probably kicking himself for letting that happen
Most normal people may feel regret but I doubt Dana is one of them. Rory is one of the best fighters out there but isn't the type of Star the FC wants imo. Rory need to be promoted by the promoter (what an idea right?) as he's not the flashy big talk kind of guy Dana prefers. Most the casuals will have already forgotten him even though he's the last guy to beat the current champ.

Most normal people may feel regret but I doubt Dana is one of them. Rory is one of the best fighters out there but isn't the type of Star the FC wants imo. Rory need to be promoted by the promoter (what an idea right?) as he's not the flashy big talk kind of guy Dana prefers. Most the casuals will have already forgotten him even though he's the last guy to beat the current champ.
I agree but look at who's been sitting atop the ww class since around the time Rory left. At least Rory has the stone-cold thing to him, the current champ plays the race card outside the octagon and plays it safe inside. Losing depth to your roster is not a good move, even Egg knows that.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Let Conor tee off on any of them...let them sort out who should earn the right to fight him

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I agree but look at who's been sitting atop the ww class since around the time Rory left. At least Rory has the stone-cold thing to him, the current champ plays the race card outside the octagon and plays it safe inside. Losing depth to your roster is not a good move, even Egg knows that.
Agree on those points but let's see what kind of future Tyron has once he loses 1 or two fights. That's not a prediction from me just curious as Woodley is probably one of the most hated champs who's fights have been rather boring lately. Too bad as I loved his early ones, very fun to watch when he turns it up.

Agree on those points but let's see what kind of future Tyron has once he loses 1 or two fights. That's not a prediction from me just curious as Woodley is probably one of the most hated champs who's fights have been rather boring lately. Too bad as I loved his early ones, very fun to watch when he turns it up.
I have no interest in ever watching that dude fight again.
I'd like to see Rory vs. Masvidal, that would be a very good and very interesting fight imo.

Nov 21, 2015
you might be right, the funny thing is egg is probably kicking himself for letting that happen
That was perhaps the dumbest move Egg and company have made all year.
Especially if Bisping starches GSP and sends him packing back to his dark place.

Rory is the current and future key to the Canadian MMA market

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

It sounds like Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos will determine the next UFC welterweight title challenger – not Stephen Thompson vs. Jorge Masvidal or Demian Maia vs. Colby Covington. That’s according to UFC president Dana White, who told the assembled media at the UFC 217 pre-fight press conference in Toronto on Friday that the Lawler vs. dos Anjos winner will be next in line to fight champion Tyron Woodley.

The UFC announced Thursday that Lawler — a former welterweight champ — and dos Anjos — a former lightweight champ — will headline UFC on FOX 26 in December.

Lawler took a year off after the Woodley knockout loss. He…

White confirms Lawler vs. RDA winner fights Woodley next
That's a shame. I was hoping the winner of RDA vs Lawler would fight Woodley for the title.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
If (and when) Rory beats Lima, he'll be the best welterweight in the world. Aside from Fedor, I can't remember the last time the UFC didn't have the best fighter as champion in one of their marquee divisions.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
If (and when) Rory beats Lima, he'll be the best welterweight in the world. Aside from Fedor, I can't remember the last time the UFC didn't have the best fighter as champion in one of their marquee divisions.
It's a bit of an MMAth situation. Rory beat Woodley but lost to Wonderboy and Lawler, and also had a far closer fight with Maia then Woodley did.

Woodley would still rightly considered the best WW in the world.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
What I don’t get is...

If GSP left the sports and the division that he was dominating in because he thought majority were on steroids, and now that USADA filtered all of that, how come he doesn’t want to come back and face the top challengers in the division he used be the king? Does he still think ppl at ww are still on roids??

Boring or not, Woodley is a legit champ. And Rory’s not even there anymore.

Doesn’t make sense.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
It's a bit of an MMAth situation. Rory beat Woodley but lost to Wonderboy and Lawler, and also had a far closer fight with Maia then Woodley did.

Woodley would still rightly considered the best WW in the world.
To be fair, by the time Woodley faced Robbie, he’s been in 5 straight 5 rounder wars (including Rory).

The way Rory lost to Thompson wasn’t that devastating, it was almost as close as Woodley/Thompson 2.

And like u said Rory beat Maia more convincingly and Rory has a win over Woodley,

I think this MMath is correct.

Rory > Woodley

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Considering the basic rule that whatever Dana says the opposite will happen, I have a bad feeling about this ...