Dana White on Gegard Mousasi’s fighter pay complaints: He’s not selling out arenas

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Like many of his contemporaries nowadays, Gegard Mousasi is greatly dissatisfied with the money he has been getting from the UFC. Last week, he aired out his grievances, pointing out how fighters such as Vitor Belfort, Michael Bisping, Mark Hunt, and even the retired Dan Henderson were getting paid more than him.

Mousasi just fought out the last fight on his contract on Saturday night against Chris Weidman, a win which was marred by controversy. During the post-fight press conference, Dana White gave his reason why the former Strikeforce champion was not making as much as the aforementioned names.

“Dan Henderson has been in the game forever. Mark Hunt has an entire country behind him. When we do fights in…

White on Mousasi’s pay complaints: He isn’t selling out arenas

M

member 603

Dana you dumb fuck, you're a PROMOTER.... PROMOTE the guy who is knocking out big names better until he's selling out arenas ya dumb bastard.

Or is that how you control your fighters... Keep them all under thumb, and only promote a few heavily.... Keeps your payouts low because "they're not needle movers".

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Dana you dumb fuck, you're a PROMOTER.... PROMOTE the guy who is knocking out big names better until he's selling out arenas ya dumb bastard.

Or is that how you control your fighters... Keep them all under thumb, and only promote a few heavily.... Keeps your payouts low because "they're not needle movers".
yeah its kind of wild, ive yet to see a push for mousasi.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
They have never put him on a headlining card in the Netherlands or Iran so how does he know that he can't sell out an arena in his home country?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
They have never put him on a headlining card in the Netherlands or Iran so how does he know that he can't sell out an arena in his home country?
Who at MW is their big star selling out arenas? They were giving Conor the lights out walk ins before his first title fight.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015

Imagine BLAF doing his job rather rather than being a lazy, 3rd-rate reality TV star & making the fighters do his job for him. Conor's & Ronda's don't grow on trees. It takes, like, some work & effort to promote fighters.

Last edited:
M

member 603

Who at MW is their big star selling out arenas? They were giving Conor the lights out walk ins before his first title fight.
That's the point, these guys go out and do their jobs.... Moose has been KOing guys and doing his part. Where have you seen the UFC push him as a top guy?

Case in point, Carvallo went out this weekend and had a good fight.... Personally I thought Pearl was a no show in that fight, she never really even attempted to get anything going. Little roughneck Carvallo wins and starts quoting Nate Diaz, next thing you know Dana is saying she's the next Rousey or Conor... Even though you have legitimately 3 or 4 ladies in front of her who are awesome but don't get that comparison (or probably the push she's going to get).

The company chooses who they want to push, the fighters are all starting to try to emulate that shit talking game to get themselves noticed, but now it's become so commonplace it's boring (I'm the money fight, yada yada). MMA comes off looking like a bunch of douchebags who shit talk for attention.

Moose could sell out in the Netherlands, they could try to do a card in the middleeast region (Dubai, Abu Dhabi) and have him headline.... The options are there, but until the company sees it as something they want to do, they keep fighters under thumb and use the "they're not a draw" line to not advance them in title contention or pay them more.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
That's the point, these guys go out and do their jobs.... Moose has been KOing guys and doing his part. Where have you seen the UFC push him as a top guy?

Case in point, Carvallo went out this weekend and had a good fight.... Personally I thought Pearl was a no show in that fight, she never really even attempted to get anything going. Little roughneck Carvallo wins and starts quoting Nate Diaz, next thing you know Dana is saying she's the next Rousey or Conor... Even though you have legitimately 3 or 4 ladies in front of her who are awesome but don't get that comparison (or probably the push she's going to get).

The company chooses who they want to push, the fighters are all starting to try to emulate that shit talking game to get themselves noticed, but now it's become so commonplace it's boring (I'm the money fight, yada yada). MMA comes off looking like a bunch of douchebags who shit talk for attention.

Moose could sell out in the Netherlands, they could try to do a card in the middleeast region (Dubai, Abu Dhabi) and have him headline.... The options are there, but until the company sees it as something they want to do, they keep fighters under thumb and use the "they're not a draw" line to not advance them in title contention or pay them more.

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
This is the Conor era...aka self promotion. This gives guy like Dana ammunition to pay the fighters less.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I hope he goes to Rizin and makes his money. Then other fighters will see the opportunity for financial gain and follow his lead. We will finally get a worthy successor to Pride.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2015
So UFC is a popularity contest. You can have a 1win out of a hundred but if you sell out crowds (popular)you in good graces? I thought this was a sport, guess its sports entertainment. Maybe call out Mayweather. Seems to work for Rhonda and Conor. At least Rhonda defended the belt once.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
"Listen, he aint selling out arenas, this guy does not have what McGregor, those interchangeable Brazilians, or Bisping have. He can complain, but I'm saying he is not marketable in this fight business"

"You want him to re-sign"

"Of course, he is a great fighter, I am a big fan of his fights. I'm the one that brought him into this fighting organization"

Dana used Confusion, and must say, was super effective.

Last edited:

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Looking at this list, Mousasi is the fighter you should be trying to keep more than any other. Bisping, Romero, Jacare, Silva, and Vitor are all in their late 30's or early 40's. Weidman is on a 3 fight losing streak and Rockhold is gonna go be a model. Mousasi is entering his prime and he's only 31 years old. If they let him go to Bellator, they'll regret it.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
The closest would have been his debut in the UFC which was in Sweden. Sold out in a few hours but I'm sure most of that is credited to Gustafsson.

It was also Conor's debut in the UFC.

*Edited to add*

This was also the fight that Gus was pulled late due to a cut and Ilir Latifi stepped in on short notice. But it wasn't sold based on that fight so any numbers were based on Gus/Moose.

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Looking at this list, Mousasi is the fighter you should be trying to keep more than any other. Bisping, Romero, Jacare, Silva, and Vitor are all in their late 30's or early 40's. Weidman is on a 3 fight losing streak and Rockhold is gonna go be a model. Mousasi is entering his prime and he's only 31 years old. If they let him go to Bellator, they'll regret it.

I agree.

Moose, Whittaker, and Brunson are definitely the youth in the division.

The only downfall to Mousasi at this point, since he's finally vocal and showing his real personality, is that he has had 50 MMA fights already on top of his kickboxing fights and you never know when his chin is going to give up.

Otherwise, he has the skills to be a champ.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
The closest would have been his debut in the UFC which was in Sweden. Sold out in a few hours but I'm sure most of that is credited to Gustafsson.

It was also Conor's debut in the UFC.
Mousasi headlined a FN in Berlin vs. Munoz, which did fine. But the UFC is doing a terrible job of promoting here all in all, including how to actually see events.., for the most part at least.
I doubt most people would even know he is from around the corner more or less.
Alistair would certainly draw better though, not gonna lie.
(and K1 is prolly still promoted better here than the UFC!)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Ariel reported today that Jacare's last fight on his contract is this one against Whittaker. Holy crap. Jacare and Moose both on the free market? That's big.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015

Nah looking at the list Whittaker is the one the ufc should be promoting.