Dana White: Ronda Rousey admitted she was 'exhausted' going into Holly Holm fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Dana White: Ronda Rousey admitted she was 'exhausted' going into Holly Holm fight
By Marc Raimondi@marc_raimondi on Dec 4, 2015, 9:00a 226

 TWEET SHARE (7705) PIN
Ronda Rousey hasn't really spoken publicly since her loss to Holly Holm, outside of a statement posted to Instagram. However, she has spoken to UFC president Dana White regularly since UFC 193 on Nov. 14.

White told "Off The Record" with Michael Landsberg on Thursday that he and UFC CEOLorenzo Fertitta sat down with Rousey earlier this week in Las Vegas. And what Rousey said shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

"I've talked to her almost everyday after the fight and when she sat down with me and Lorenzo a few days ago, she said, 'I was exhausted going into that fight. I was exhausted mentally, physically, emotional,'" White said. "She had a lot of personal things going on, too, with her family."

Holm knocked Rousey out in the second round with a head kick to become the new UFC women's bantamweight champion. Coming in, Holm was a massive underdog.

Dana White: Ronda Rousey admitted she was 'exhausted' going into Holly Holm fight - MMA Fighting

Rousey is the most well-known MMA fighter on the planet. She had a ton on her plate leading up to UFC 193, including the responsibility to draw a UFC record crowd of more than 55,000 to Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia for the fight with Holm.

Rousey did a record amount of media in the lead up to the fight and never really had a break after knocking out Bethe Correia at UFC 190 in August. On top of that, Rousey has obligations in the film industry and with commercials and photo shoots. During her training camp, her mother slammed her coach, Edmond Tarverdyan in multiple interviews. And Bloody Elbow reported Tarverdyan's odd financial situation -- he has recently filed for bankruptcy, claimed no income and said he did not recall the last time he did his taxes -- just days before the bout. Also, Rousey's romantic relationship with fellow UFC fighter Travis Browne came to light during her fight preparation.

White agreed with Landsberg that Rousey's odd weigh-in outburst at Holm could have been a clue that she was overstressed heading into the fight. Rousey almost got into a skirmish with Holm during the staredown and then called Holm fake in an interview with Joe Rogan.

"It was uncharacteristic of her," White said. "She doesn't act like that ever. Even against a girl like Bethe, who said a lot of bad things and she really didn't like Bethe Correia."

Even though he thought it was strange, White said he was still stunned when Rousey got knocked out. Because of his close friendship with her, White said it was hard to see Rousey in that state.

"Me and 57,240 people in the arena were obviously shocked," White said. "I'm never shocked at somebody losing, but it's the way that she lost that's so shocking. Obviously, everybody is saying, 'He's devastated.' He's this, he's that. Listen, I always call myself the bells and whistles guy. We put on all the bells and whistles, we promote the show. They step in the Octagon and whatever happens is determined by them.

"But in the history of the UFC, there's been two people -- Chuck Liddell that I was very close to and Ronda Rousey I'm very close to. She's one of my very good friends, so to see her lose that way, yeah it was tough."

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I was wondering when the excuses would start to fly from white and the UFC but i am shocked it took 20 days for them to start the spin machine up.

TravelBug

Oct 18, 2015
Dana should be or at least act more neutral.
Showing favortism toward any fighter is unprofessional.

That said, I think it's obvious Ronda was cracking from all her obligations and outside drama. But she took the fight so hopefully she wont use that as an excuse.

In her post fight interview after the Carmouche fight she said "All the media in the world wont save those girls from me"

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Dana should be or at least act more neutral.
Showing favortism toward any fighter is unprofessional.

That said, I think it's obvious Ronda was cracking from all her obligations and outside drama. But she took the fight so hopefully she wont use that as an excuse.

In her post fight interview after the Carmouche fight she said "All the media in the world wont save those girls from me"
No you wont hear her use the excuse, thats why dana is doing it because atm he is her mouthpiece.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I think it's just natural for a fighter to search for excuses after a big loss as part of the healing process. People believe what they want to believe. It's easier to swallow the "I wasn't at my best" pill than to take the "I Lost to a better fighter" suppository.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think it's just natural for a fighter to search for excuses after a big loss as part of the healing process. People believe what they want to believe. It's easier to swallow the "I wasn't at my best" pill than to take the "I Lost to a better fighter" suppository.
I give her credit, she hasnt came out and said an excuse, the one who no one believes did

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This reminds me of when Brock lost. So many people came to his defense and out up excuses but he didn't say much at all which is good. No matter what is said now its simple, she agreed to fight and lost. She either didn't take Holly serious enough or overcommitted herself for reasons not too many will know, tough way to learn a lesson.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
She had just as much going on when she beat Zingano and Alexis Davis. Holly just happened to get in that ass. That's the only difference really.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
So exhausted she couldn't touch gloves...she wasn't too tired to do post weigh in interviews..no amount of fatigue could excuse that lack of technique or getting launched..she got wrecked fair n square..Dana is nut hugging bitch (not fighter bashing) that will cater to the same woman he hated on years back...hind sight is 20/20, his bald ass needs an eye exam..holly would kill then both and he is so butt hurt Astro glide has partnered with Reebok..

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Here is a link to the full interview and not the chopped up one above.

Whether Rousey was mentally taxed going into the fight or not, White also states that credit must be paid for Holm's performance, where she countered the former Olympian at every turn and then landed one of the most dramatic knockouts in UFC history just 59 seconds into the second round. None of that happened by mistake because Holm had all the credentials to stand in the Octagon with Rousey, and she took full advantage of every opening the former champion gave her in that fight.
Dana White: Ronda Rousey 'was exhausted' mentally and physically ahead of UFC 193 | FOX Sports

Jtrigg

Nov 27, 2015
This is just the beginning of the rematch hype formula. 1) Promote excuse/reason why loser was not at the top of their game. 2) Constantly push that loser is going to be completely focused for next fight 3) Start to push the highlights of loser onto the public. Etc etc, its a formula used since forever.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
thanks but im done listening to excuses
I couldnt tell since you posted this thread.

No one is providing excuses for Ronda. She went through with the fight. She was a true champion and unlike some current champions she didnt pull out of the fight, faking injury, because she didnt feel ready. The loss is squarely on her. Holly did what she needed to do.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Dana is one of the reasons the ufc will never be a true sport in many people's eyes. I could not imagine the commissioner of the NFL stating he has a favorite team and making excuses for his favorite teams loss and making fun of teams he does not like. His interviews will probably come back to bite him during the lawsuit against the UFC.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Hopefully Ronda comes back more focused on mma and less focused on everything else. I want to see the rematch when they are both 100%.

Winnson

We can't stop here. This is bat country!
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I can't listen to The Baldfather anymore, sort of like Barack Obama.

Maybe ten seconds and I have to shut them off or my BS meter blows up.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
ZZzzZzzzZZz man, I am too exhausted to pos... ZZzzzZZZZZZ

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You don't believe in "exhausted Ronda" bro?
well it is a possibility but shes fought the same way for what a few years and never this excuse when she won, no exhaustion on a win? But the first time her teeth were removed now all of a sudden she was exhausted. COME THE FUCK ON!

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I can't listen to The Baldfather anymore, sort of like Barack Obama.

Maybe ten seconds and I have to shut them off or my BS meter blows up.
Your actually 'The Man"for going 10 seconds.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
well it is a possibility but shes fought the same way for what a few years and never this excuse when she won, no exhaustion on a win? But the first time her teeth were removed now all of a sudden she was exhausted. COME THE FUCK ON!
Funny how I called it exactly like that before the fight. She had too much personal shit going on, combined with endless promoting to break the attendance record to be at 100%. Holm did what she needed to do to take advantage of it. It was the perfect challenger and perfect scenario to see Ronda lose.

I'm not surprised at all to hear she was exhausted. And let's remember this was not a full camp. This was a replacement fight for Condit/Lawler.

"Maybe it was everything else with the leadup," Tate said. "I'm now hearing that there's a lot of personal issues. It just seemed like maybe Ronda was distracted a little bit. But I feel like Ronda has always had a lot on her plate. She's always had a lot going on. I don't think it's ever a perfect training situation for anybody going into a fight, especially a title fight. They're longer camps and there's more demand for media and all those things. I think that's just the way Ronda is used to dealing with things. I don't know if there was really anything different this time other than she just didn't seem like herself." - Meisha Tate