Daniel Cormier dealing with injuries, pushes back retirement date

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

March 20 was supposed to be the end of the road for Daniel Cormier.

That’s the day Cormier turns 40 and he’d publicly mapped out a path that would see him retire this year and move on from the rigors of combat sports. With three title fights in 2018, including a win and defense of the UFC heavyweight championship, Cormier was poised to go out with at least one more big money fight before walking away for good.

However, as of today, Cormier does not have his next fight scheduled. His body hasn’t been cooperating and he told Luke Thomas on The MMA Hour that it’s his back that’s been giving him problems lately after years of wear and tear as well as the unavoidable problems that come with age.

“I hurt my back in New York City when I sneezed. This was no joke and it’s just still trying to rehab it and get better,” Cormier said. “It was just me hurting my back. I put a lot of miles on myself in my life with the wrestling, but then last year was a big year and you don’t get to have that type of year at my age and not really feel the effects of it and I’m still going through that right now.”

Daniel Cormier dealing with injuries, pushes back retirement date

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
love these active champs
I still think Belts should be defended 3-4 times yearly or give the belt up

Inactivity and cherry picking/milking is why Belts mean nothing to me and a lot of realistic MMA fans

Hope Danny Boy heals up...still hasn't defended his belt IMO...Derek "my back is out" Lewis doesn't count, especially when you ducking the UFC HW beast Stipe

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I will never forget the worst back injury I ever sustained was literally me standing up and something went out. That night was a nightmare. Sneezing coughing are the worst things for people with back pain.

wanderlei_sonnen

I want to Fuck Chuck.
Feb 29, 2016
love these active champs
I still think Belts should be defended 3-4 times yearly or give the belt up

Inactivity and cherry picking/milking is why Belts mean nothing to me and a lot of realistic MMA fans

Hope Danny Boy heals up...still hasn't defended his belt IMO...Derek "my back is out" Lewis doesn't count, especially when you ducking the UFC HW beast Stipe
How can you duck someone you just KO'ed? That doesn't make sense