VID Daniel Cormier: I hope Jon Jones was watching me win the UFC title

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Daniel Cormier is the UFC light heavyweight champion. Regardless of who you believe is the best fighter, Cormier won the title by choking out Anthony Johnson in the third round Saturday night at UFC 187 in Las Vegas.

And Cormier hopes Jon Jones, the former champ, was tuning in from home on pay-per-view.

"I hope he was," Cormier told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "Could you imagine him sitting there watching me of all people get the belt? If the roles were reversed, I would be going insane if I had to watch him do that if I was in his situation. He doesn't want to see me win. He doesn't want to see me carry what he probably feels is still his title, which it isn't -- it's mine."

Jones and Cormier have had a heated rivalry for years, going back to 2011 when they first met and Jones ribbed Cormier that he could take him down. There was a brawl at a press conference last August and a memorable, profane exchange on a hot mic that neither of them thought would ever reach the public.

It all culminated in their fight at UFC 182 on Jan. 3. Jones beat Cormier by unanimous decision that night. It was a clear win. Cormier would have to work his way back if he ever wanted to fight for the belt again.

At least that's what we thought at the time. Now, Cormier is the champ without even needing to beat Jones. On April 27, Jones was arrested on a felony hit-and-run charge in Albuquerque, N.M. A day later, the UFC suspended him indefinitely and stripped him of the belt. Cormier was announced as the replacement against Johnson in the UFC 187 main event.

After Cormier won Saturday, he took the mic from Joe Rogan and addressed Jones.

"Get your sh*t together," Cormier said. "I'm waiting for you."

Why would Cormier call out Jones just a few seconds after realizing his dream of winning the title?

"Because he beat [me] like Jon just beat me and I just beat the guy that a lot of people thought was going to beat him," Cormier said. "So I'm like, you know what, man? I still want to fight him. I want to challenge myself against the best guy. He's good.

"More than anything, I think Saturday night showed how special the kid is if he can get himself and everything else in order. For him to have beaten me and for me to do what I did to Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson, that's crazy man. So yeah, I want to compete against him. I hope that he does get it together so that we can fight again."

UFC president Dana White has said that Jones will get an immediate title shot if and when he returns to the Octagon. However, there is the matter of his legal issues. Jones is currently waiting to see if his felony case will be brought to a grand jury by the Bernalillo County district attorney. If it does, the grand jury will decide whether or not to indict. There are still steps to go in the process. Jones is being accused of running a red light in a rental vehicle and striking a car driven by a pregnant woman, breaking her arm.

Cormier will likely get Ryan Bader next and the two sold the fight hard in the post-fight press conference Saturday night. Cormier talked smack to Bader, who was in the room and approached the dais. The two had to be separated.

Cormier, 36, has a particular talent for promotion. He vows, though, to be a role model while wearing the belt in an obvious shot at Jones.

"I believe that I will represent this sport in the best light possible," Cormier said. "I won't mess it up. I won't get myself in any trouble. I'm gonna live my life the correct way and I'm gonna be a champion the kids look up to and hopefully aspire to be like."

LINK to full article: Daniel Cormier: I hope Jon Jones was watching me win the UFC title - MMA Fighting

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5Iru6xcbQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Jon just beat me and I just beat the guy that a lot of people thought was going to beat him," Cormier said. "So I'm like, you know what, man? I still want to fight him. I want to challenge myself against the best guy. He's good.

"More than anything, I think Saturday night showed how special the kid is if he can get himself and everything else in order. For him to have beaten me and for me to do what I did to Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson, that's crazy man. So yeah, I want to compete against him. I hope that he does get it together so that we can fight
Cormier is not nearly as hyper obsessed as the headline makes it seem.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I wish they could do at least one UFC 187 embedded after the fight. Like when Chris Weidman meets his family backstage, or when DC greets his children when he gets home. Would love to see the joy of the family whom the fighters sacrifice time away from.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I wish they could do at least one UFC 187 embedded after the fight. Like when Chris Weidman meets his family backstage, or when DC greets his children when he gets home. Would love to see the joy of the family whom the fighters sacrifice time away from.
This is a good idea. Maybe make a 30 minute broadcast out of it, that airs on FS1 the week after each UFC event...showing the emotions of both winners & losers. They could re-run the shit out of them, and give the fighters more exposure.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yea, he's obsessed.
I think this is certainly the case. It can be a healthy obsession, if used as motivation to train, improve, and fight thru tough situations. Or it can be a detriment, if emotions lead to mistakes that wouldn't normally occur in the octagon. We'll see how it goes the second time around.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He better just worry about getting better each day and leave the jbj talk at a minimum..

P

Punch

The last time DC kept egging Bones on, he was beaten. Might not be the wisest course of action to motivate Jones through trash talk.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Cormier should watch his fight with Jones and get a reality check.

The Ryan Bader Era is upon us. Get on the bandwagon early.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
The last time DC kept egging Bones on, he was beaten. Might not be the wisest course of action to motivate Jones through trash talk.
If DC thinks he can beat Jon Jones, which version do you think DC would want to challenge himself more-
a Jon Jones whose life is a wreck
or
a hungry motivated Jon Jones

DC thinks he can win, and wants to win against the best version of Jones. While you and me may feel his chances are slim, I admire that about DC.

P

Punch

If DC thinks he can beat Jon Jones, which version do you think DC would want to challenge himself more-
a Jon Jones whose life is a wreck
or
a hungry motivated Jon Jones

DC thinks he can win, and wants to win against the best version of Jones. While you and me may feel his chances are slim, I admire that about DC.
I understand honor in competition. I find it admirable. Not necessarily the smartest tactic mind you but definitely the bravest.

At the same time i don't relate to it nearly as much as honor in warfare. I've admitted to being a "dirty" fighter in the past, but tactically i was always taught strike first, strike fast, strike when the enemy's weakest, and strike so hard they can never recover. Never give your enemy warning or time to react.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I understand honor in competition. I find it admirable. Not necessarily the smartest tactic mind you but definitely the bravest.

At the same time i don't relate to it nearly as much as honor in warfare. I've admitted to being a "dirty" fighter in the past, but tactically i was always taught strike first, strike fast, strike when the enemy's weakest, and strike so hard they can never recover. Never give your enemy warning or time to react.
It's funny that Chael Sonnen has stated he wants the worst guy with the best record for the easiest paycheck. Then Chael sports a fake belt. Then Chael disses DC about how it's not the "real belt" lol. DC test himself, but is successful where as Chael test himself, but wasn't.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
It's good that DC still wants to prove himself against Jones. Of course I would want DC to win that fight, but he will never beat Jones. It won't happen. Say Jones is only gone 6 months then they fight. It will look exactly like the last fight. Suppose he is gone 2 years. DC may learn new techniques, but will would be 38 years old. Even with a late start in MMA, his body will likely start breaking down from all those years of wrestling at the highest levels and all the time Cain kicks his ass in the gym. The only was DC keeps that belt is if he avoids a fight with Jones until he retires. For some reason I have a feelingJones will come back at HW anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
It's good that DC still wants to prove himself against Jones. Of course I would want DC to win that fight, but he will never beat Jones. It won't happen. Say Jones is only gone 6 months then they fight. It will look exactly like the last fight. Suppose he is gone 2 years. DC may learn new techniques, but will would be 38 years old. Even with a late start in MMA, his body will likely start breaking down from all those years of wrestling at the highest levels and all the time Cain kicks his ass in the gym. The only was DC keeps that belt is if he avoids a fight with Jones until he retires. For some reason I have a feelingJones will come back at HW anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As great as Jones has been thus far in his career, I just don't get the logic of some of these posts. I would agree that Chael Sonnen and post TRT-Vitor will never beat Jones, and would both be finished again in a rematch, and I would agree that Glover doesn't have the speed or athleticism necessary to do much better than he did in their first fight (losing a decision), but Cormier? He lost a decision, and even though he gassed after three rounds, he was never hurt or in danger of being stopped. His biggest loss was the psychological game that took place leading into that fight, imo. I always go back to JDS knocking Cain out in the first round, only to later be dominated and brutally beaten in the rematch, and again in their third fight.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It's funny that Chael Sonnen has stated he wants the worst guy with the best record for the easiest paycheck. Then Chael sports a fake belt. Then Chael disses DC about how it's not the "real belt" lol. DC test himself, but is successful where as Chael test himself, but wasn't.
That could have been such a winning sentence if you had finished with 'where as Chael puts test in himself, but wasn't'. Ah, for opportunities missed.