VID Daniel Cormier: I hope Jon Jones was watching me win the UFC title

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
As great as Jones has been thus far in his career, I just don't get the logic of some of these posts. I would agree that Chael Sonnen and post TRT-Vitor will never beat Jones, and would both be finished again in a rematch, and I would agree that Glover doesn't have the speed or athleticism necessary to do much better than he did in their first fight (losing a decision), but Cormier? He lost a decision, and even though he gassed after three rounds, he was never hurt or in danger of being stopped. His biggest loss was the psychological game that took place leading into that fight, imo. I always go back to JDS knocking Cain out in the first round, only to later be dominated and brutally beaten in the rematch, and again in their third fight.
That fight wasn't a flash knockout like Cain vs JDS 1. He beat him convincingly in 4 out of 5 rounds, and Cormier, the Olympic wrestler, never completed a takedown(you have to establish control on the ground for it to count). The sooner the fight with Jones happens the better chance DC has, he is on a ticking clock, and as Belfort showed on the weekend, that clock stops for no man.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
That fight wasn't a flash knockout like Cain vs JDS 1. He beat him convincingly in 4 out of 5 rounds, and Cormier, the Olympic wrestler, never completed a takedown(you have to establish control on the ground for it to count). The sooner the fight with Jones happens the better chance DC has, he is on a ticking clock, and as Belfort showed on the weekend, that clock stops for no man.
I gave Cormier two rounds in that fight, and I'm of the opinion that he underperformed. That said, Jones beat him, and Cormier looked less impressive in large part because Jones is just that good. To see a truly dominant decision win, go back and watch GSP vs Hardy, or Alves, or the second fight with Kos. That's what truly dominant looks like.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Going by his post-fight call and further media interviews, it seems Jones is still wrecking havoc in Cormiers head.

It's all'n'well acknowledging the problem but i'm still not convinced he's fully addressed and overcome it.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I gave Cormier two rounds in that fight, and I'm of the opinion that he underperformed. That said, Jones beat him, and Cormier looked less impressive in large part because Jones is just that good. To see a truly dominant decision win, go back and watch GSP vs Hardy, or Alves, or the second fight with Kos. That's what truly dominant looks like.
While I wouldn't call that fight a dominant decision, there was a clear winner, whether you gave Jones 3 rounds or 4. It was a convincing win, there was no wondering who might get the nod at the end of the fight. DC definitely has a chance in a rematch, but Jones will be the favourite and rightly so. I also don't think it is unfair to say that DC's chances decrease with the passing of time, considering his age and the general decline of fighters after 36-38. Heavyweight seems to be the exception, which I think is a combination of power being the last to go and lack of high caliber athletes, since big athletic dudes are significantly more likely to be playing sports which pay more.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
While I wouldn't call that fight a dominant decision, there was a clear winner, whether you gave Jones 3 rounds or 4. It was a convincing win, there was no wondering who might get the nod at the end of the fight. DC definitely has a chance in a rematch, but Jones will be the favourite and rightly so. I also don't think it is unfair to say that DC's chances decrease with the passing of time, considering his age and the general decline of fighters after 36-38. Heavyweight seems to be the exception, which I think is a combination of power being the last to go and lack of high caliber athletes, since big athletic dudes are significantly more likely to be playing sports which pay more.
I wouldn't argue that Jones didn't look impressive in his win over DC, and without a doubt he deserves to be the favorite in a rematch. Honestly, he deserves to be the champ still, but that's another thread. I think DC can do better than he showed in their first fight, which would make any decision that much closer in a rematch, either way. I'm still into the possibility of a Jones vs Gus rematch at some point, so my tolerance for five round fights might be a tad bit higher than it is for most MMA fans. Age is a weird thing because you never know how it'll affect a fighter in their 30s. BJ Penn seems all but washed up, while Frankie Edgar who is almost the exact same age is in line for a title shot. It's not so cut and dry that DC will experience a significant decline in the next couple of years.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Going by his post-fight call and further media interviews, it seems Jones is still wrecking havoc in Cormiers head.

It's all'n'well acknowledging the problem but i'm still not convinced he's fully addressed and overcome it.
I just now thought of this after reading your post....

What if this is a strategy for DC? DC admitted he was too emotional in his fight with Jon Jones...

Now DC has the belt, no stress. Jones will have EVERYONE watching all his moves leading up to fight day b/c of all the drama that's happened in his life. Jones will have more pressure to win than he's had since facing Shogun. Maybe DC is hoping Jones will be too emotional and perhaps make a mistake or gas out?

Or am I reaching?