Daniel Cormier says he was too 'emotionally attached' heading into Jon Jones fight: 'It consumed my

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Daniel Cormier was crushed that he lost to Jon Jones in January. But man was he happy the whole thing was over.

There was the press conference brawl, the heated verbal exchange caught on hot mics, an encounter in an MGM hallway and numerous press conferences and staredowns. The lead up to the UFC 182 main event took on a life of its own.

"As much as it sucked to lose, I thought that after that fight I would be separated from him," Cormier said on a UFC 187media conference call Wednesday. "It was welcome. It was almost like a weight lifted off my shoulder to not have to be so consumed with Jon Jones. It had consumed my life. Looking back I can tell how emotionally involved I was."

It isn't like that this time around. Cormier will get another chance at the light heavyweight title when he meetsAnthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. The aura of Jones might be lurking inside MGM Grand that night, but Cormier doesn't have to deal with any of that nearly tangible drama now.

"The first time, the build up was insane," Cormier said. "With all the stuff that Jon and I went through, fighting at that press conference and stuff, the build up was insane and it wore on me. And I was so emotionally attached to that promotion and that fight that I think at a point the energy was just kind of drained out of me. This time feels good."

Cormier is actually replacing Jones in this spot. Jones was supposed to defend his title against Johnson, but was stripped of the belt and suspended indefinitely April 28, one day after being arrested on a felony hit-and-run charge. Cormier was the logical man to fill in after going five hard rounds with Jones in a unanimous decision loss on Jan. 3.

"I went and fought the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world and left the Octagon healthy," Cormier said. "I left the Octagon without taking much damage. I didn't get all cut up like most guys he fought. I wasn't bleeding. I think I may have had a bloody nose and that was pretty much the extent of my injuries after 25 minutes of fighting Jones."

Daniel Cormier says he was too 'emotionally attached' heading into Jon Jones fight: 'It consumed my life' - MMA Fighting

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Although i believe him that fight would not have gone any differently. Jones beats Cormier everytime.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There was a thread here where Priziesthorse @Priziesthorse was accusing DC of being mentally weak. I wanted to frat about how all the examples he gave could be seen as positives as well but decided to wait and read more. This here supports the horse I'd say so kudos to him.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
DC vs. Jones was one of my favorite fights of all time. Round 5 leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths, but even that round of DC relentlessly chasing a takedown for bragging rights shows how mentally broken he was. Jones put the pace on him from round 1, which I didn't expect. The dirty boxing and clinch work in that fight was like a master class for MMA.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I remember many people thinking that Jones was in DC's head. I wasn't so sure. Apparently I was wrong.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
There was a Vine I saw after the Jones fight of DC sobbing in the cinderblock corridor of the arena as Cain and Rockhold tried to comfort him. It ripped my heart out, put me on a heart transplant list, and then ripped that heart out too. On the bright side it made me like Rockhold some.

There was no way that I could conclude Jones didn't symbolise all sorts of obsessive insecurities and dreams and failures and goals to DC, after seeing that.

P

Punch

There was a Vine I saw after the Jones fight of DC sobbing in the cinderblock corridor of the arena as Cain and Rockhold tried to comfort him. It ripped my heart out, put me on a heart transplant list, and then ripped that heart out too. On the bright side it made me like Rockhold some.

There was no way that I could conclude Jones didn't symbolise all sorts of obsessive insecurities and dreams and failures and goals to DC, after seeing that.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I was shocked at how Jones was able to control the clinch and hand fighting against DC. I never thought Jones would take the fight there, and win it there if DC did. Watching how DC manhandled Barnett, I just thought there was no way Jones was strong enough to win a dirty, grinding fight against the cage like that w/ DC.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
I cant wait for this fight and I think I am going to rewatch his fight with Bones in a minute. I like Rumble but I think we might see him go into orbit this weekend.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

do you have a copy of said vine, FionaO? Interested to see it, but maybe my lazy self needs to search a bit.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015

This is what i found and had not seen this before.....Thanks FionaO for this information....

Last edited:

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
This is what i found and had not seen this before.....Thanks FionaO for this information....
Auuugh that's the one. It was when Luke Rockhold seized upon scooping the tshirt off the floor as some way to help, however small, that I decided I liked him a little bit.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
Auuugh that's the one. It was when Luke Rockhold seized upon scooping the tshirt off the floor as some way to help, however small, that I decided I liked him a little bit.
Agree Fiona, but is there just a little bit of a crush on him to begin with that led to this resounding love?..........:)

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Agree Fiona, but is there just a little bit of a crush on him to begin with that led to this resounding love?..........:)
Haha! No I'm the one MMA fanchick on earth immune to the charms of Duke Jockhold. He's no Pride-era Shogun! He's not even Anderson II-era Chael in terms of pure handsome.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Although i believe him that fight would not have gone any differently. Jones beats Cormier everytime.
I agree. I dont think anything can be done about how the reach advantage. Jones will hit him every time Daniel tries to get close.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I thought DC was up in Jones' shit the entire fight. Jones won, but it wasn't an ass-kicking.