Daniel Cormier says Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic won’t fight Tom Aspinall

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
1726936292564.png

Daniel Cormier does not believe Tom Aspinall is really the backup fighter for UFC 309.

At UFC 309, Jon Jones defends his heavyweight title against Stipe Miocic in a fight well over a year in the making, and earlier this week, UFC CEO Dana White declared interim champion Tom Aspinall is the backup fighter for the bout. But despite White’s assurances, some doubt remains about whether Aspinall would actually step in should something happen to either Jones or Aspinall, and UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier is one of the doubters.

“You’re gullible,” Cormier told co-host Chael Sonnen on their Good Guy/Bad Guy show when Sonnen said both Jones and Miocic agreed to fight Aspinall at UFC 309. “No, it does not mean that! What it means is now we have another opportunity for disappointment...

“If one of those dudes gets hurt, neither one of them is fighting Tom Aspinall. You’re out of your mind. No way. When Jon Jones got hurt the first time, Sergei Pavlovich was the backup fighter. Who fought?! If somebody gets hurt, get ready for Tom Aspinall vs. Ciryl Gane. Mark my words.”

Daniel Cormier says Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic won’t fight Tom Aspinall: ‘I don’t believe that either of them will do it’ - MMA Fighting

Burner2274

Aug 14, 2024
Chael is always wrong, too.

I have a shitty memory for names, but I remember a while back there was a named backup fighter for a PPV. Then one of the fighters didn't make weight or was injured, and they used a different guy as the backup. Anybody remember that, or am I just going senile?