Darren Till still open to Mike Perry fight, sets sights on Wonderboy for UFC London

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Ahead of Mike Perry’s loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio at UFC on FOX 26 last weekend, Darren Tillsuggested that “Platinum” would need a win to secure a matchup against him.

Despite Perry coming out of the fight on the wrong end of a decision to the Argentinian, Till says he is still open to fighting Perry, but doubts the bout will happen.

“I’m still up for the fight, but he’s coming off a loss so obviously, to everyone and the UFC, it doesn’t make much sense,” he told Ariel Helwani on the latest episode of The MMA Hour.

“As I’ve said in the past, I don’t really care about rankings, so I’m not one to say, ‘just because he’s coming off a loss let’s not fight’.

“I’m still game to fight him, but obviously it’s not really smart matchmaking now because I’m coming off a win and he’s coming off a loss.”

The Liverpudlian said he was hoping Perry would win the fight and was disappointed that he didn’t have his hand raised.

“Yeah, I wanted Perry to win, yeah,” he said.

“I was (disappointed), but you never know, the UFC could match me against Santiago. He’s a really good fighter, but I do have to say I was pulling for Perry.”

When asked whom he would choose to fight at UFC London, Till pointed to Kamaru Usman and Stephen Thompson. He conceded that Usman’s upcoming bout with Emil Meek would likely rule “The Nigerian Nightmare” out of contention.

“Maybe Usman or Wonderboy, but I know Usman has a fight so maybe he’s out of the question,” said Till. “So maybe Wonderboy, then maybe one more and then a title shot and that’s me – champion.”

Darren Till still open to Mike Perry fight, sets sights on Wonderboy for UFC London

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Breakout talent Darren Till kept a keen eye on UFC Winnipeg’s welterweight bout between Mike Perry and Santiago Ponzinibbio on Saturday, as the Liverpudlian was hoping to secure a grudge match with ‘Platinum’.

Unfortunately for Till (and Perry), that bout is unlikely to materialize, as Perry dropped a unanimous decision to Ponzinibbio at the Bell MTS Place and will have to re-climb the welterweight ladder.

But Till, 24, isn’t too concerned about the official UFC rankings and would still accept a fight with Perry if the opportunity presented itself.

“I’m still up for the fight, but he’s coming off a loss so obviously, to everyone and the UFC, it doesn’t make much sense,”…

Darren Till won’t rule out fight with Mike Perry but has ‘Wonderboy’ as main priority

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I've become a fan of Perry's but Till would fuck his world up. Far too technical with his striking.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Till would be doing Perry a favor at this point.

Until that cage door closes, then Perry is going down.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I've become a fan of Perry's but Till would fuck his world up. Far too technical with his striking.
I think he can withstand Tills onslaught at first but he REALLY needs to work on his cardio to make some headway in those later rounds.

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
Unfortunately the ship has almost sailed on that idea. I'd still froth over that fight if it happens next.

Realistically, Perry doesn't deserve Till at this point. He at least needs to put a few wins together again, or beat a top ten guy.

Perry may be biting off more than he can chew with the high profile callouts of Robbie Lawler etc. The guy's only got 3 years MMA experience, that's mind blowing. Till isn't too far from that, 4 years experience. Both seem to have picked up this sport real quick.

Certainly wouldnt write off Perry in the Till fight. If he can withstand the early onslaught, and get that cardio up, he's got a decent chance. It's unknown if Till can handle adversity in a fight, he's never been there that I'm aware of. If Till can, he's going to be special.