DC opens as a favorite against Rumble as the smack talk begins

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Opening odds for UFC 187’s new Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson headliner | MMAjunkie

according to the early odds, Cormier was a 1.5-1 (-150) favorite over Johnson (+136). Money quickly came in on Johnson, who was a slightly smaller (+127) underdog by early this morning
That's a small lead, but I think appropriate. DC is a poor stylistic matchup for rumble and had handled big competition before. Rumble 2.0 is on a tear but still a question of what he has in later rounds for DC.

"If you told me a few years ago that I would fight Anthony Johnson for a UFC championship I would say package the belt up and send it to San Jose," Cormier said Tuesday on UFC Tonight.
Cormier was complimentary of Johnson's career revival, but quick to point out his early struggles on the mat.

"It's a tough fight," Cormier said. "Rumble Johnson's a fantastic fighter. He has tremendous power and he's got a confidence about himself right now. But I want to tell you guys right now, at the end of the day, Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson is who he is.
"At the core of Anthony Johnson, Anthony's the guy who got submitted by Josh Koscheck. Anthony's the guy that tapped out before Vitor Belfort got the choke in. At the core of him, he is who he is. I just have to go out and find that."
Morning Report: Anthony Johnson responds after having his mettle questioned by Daniel Cormier - MMA Fighting

For his part, Rumble seem to be having none of is:

View: https://twitter.com/Anthony_Rumble/status/593266799778648064

Who you got in this fight? Are the odds right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think those are accurate odds. I have DC in this one but I feel it will be a competitive fight.

P

Punch

Dc wasting no time! AJ had no shortage of confidence. I think DC has this, but i wouldn't be the last bit surprised if Rumble knocks him the fuck out.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It will happen and he's going to get slammed over and over......
Meh. Cormier didn't slam Mir or Nelson. Age plays a factor here. Sure he ragdolled Hendo but he is an undersized 44 year old man. Jones was the first time he faced a real athletic guy in the cage and Cormier's wrestling was a non-factor. Rumble is also a big strong athletic guy unlike Cormier's typical opponents. Jones, Cormier, and Rumble were all junior college national champion wrestlers. The fact that Cormier was an Olympic wrestler is deceiving. The guy is 36 years old now and has a more worn down body than Rumble.

P

Punch

Meh. Cormier didn't slam Mir or Nelson. Age plays a factor here. Sure he ragdolled Hendo but he is an undersized 44 year old man. Jones was the first time he faced a real athletic guy in the cage and Cormier's wrestling was a non-factor. Rumble is also a big strong athletic guy unlike Cormier's typical opponents. Jones, Cormier, and Rumble were all junior college national champion wrestlers. The fact that Cormier was an Olympic wrestler is deceiving. The guy is 36 years old now and has a more worn down body than Rumble.
He did slam Jones, but he popped right back up.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
He did slam Jones, but he popped right back up.
Yea cuz he's not some big unathletic heavyweight like we are used to seeing him slam. Bones is a spry mothafucka. Rumble and Jones will be the 2 most athletic fighters he's ever faced. Cormier no longer has the speed advantage he has over the heavyweights. Phil Davis is a pretty damn elite folkstyle wrestler and didn't come close to taking Rumble down or controlling him.

P

Punch

If he can stop the TD, i could definitely see AJ tagging DC. If DC gets him down i dunno how AJ will win. DC's top control is pretty good.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
I like this matchup better. I don't see anyone beating Bones at LHW, but I don't know how this one will go down. Either way, the tone will be set in the first minute or two.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I'm picking DC. I don't really have a preference. I like both guys, I just think DC can get him into the later rounds and gas him. Then again, maybe I am still a little pissed at rumble for taking out Gus.

Does Bader get the winner, or does he have to fight Gus first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think this will be a great fight, not sure I can pick either way

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Fedor doesn't make emotion faces when he fights. Never.

There are two times I've seen Fedor show emotion that wasn't a smile.
One was backstage seeing Mirko ko his brother.

The 2nd time, was around the 2 minute and 30 second mark of this video where Fedor is choking the everlasting shit out of the dummy. Anyone who chooses to combat Fedor is a dummy, but this was a literal dummy.

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
Why Jon did you fuck up a great potential fight with AJ. Never was a Jones fan but to lose his belt this way is sad. Hope he gets his shit together.

Very interesting fight DC vs AJ. I'm not even a guess who will win. I like both fighters.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Yea cuz he's not some big unathletic heavyweight like we are used to seeing him slam. Bones is a spry mothafucka. Rumble and Jones will be the 2 most athletic fighters he's ever faced. Cormier no longer has the speed advantage he has over the heavyweights. Phil Davis is a pretty damn elite folkstyle wrestler and didn't come close to taking Rumble down or controlling him.
I agree, except that Cormier's wrestling is on another level to Phil Davis. Phil Davis was an elite national wrestler, DC was an elite international wrestler.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I really want Rumble to beat him up so bad and then lean down and whisper, "Throw another shoe again you pussy punk ass mother fucker." Then I'll be able to let go and not actively dislike DC anymore.:p

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I agree, except that Cormier's wrestling is on another level to Phil Davis. Phil Davis was an elite national wrestler, DC was an elite international wrestler.
I dont know. I watched Phil and Daniel wrestle in college and I think Phil was better. Who knows what would have happened if Phil wanted to continue his career and transition into freestyle wrestling. If you look at the champs in the UFC like Mighty Mouse, Dillashaw, Weidman, Jones, Cain and wsop champs Palmer and Gathje...they all have been ncaa folkstyle wrestlers. It's my opinion that folkstyle skills are more important when it comes to mma. I dont know. Who knows? I'm just a horse.