'Death Note' book found in Nashua school raises concerns

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The book is based on a Japanese anime cartoon and is available in retail stores and online. Characters in the book can write down the names of people who have wronged them, and the book has the power to cause harm to those listed.

Although 17 students' names were in the book, the school said that at no time was any child in danger.

Danielle and Eric Charest said their 15-year-old daughter came home from school scared after her name was discovered on the list.

"I think the mystery shrouding this is what's causing the alarm to parents," Danielle said. "Parents are afraid. Kids are afraid."

Superintendent Mark Conrad isn't releasing any information about the student who had the book, but said school officials have taken appropriate action

"We did not find any evidence that the student had intended to harm students or that there were any plans beyond simply placing the students' names on the list," Conrad said.

In an email sent to parents, Principal Marianne Busteed wrote that the school is following its policies in dealing with the matter.

"Please know that the safety of our students is our primary concern and that we will fully discipline the student who developed this list in accordance with the Nashua School District student behavior standards," Busteed wrote.

Danielle Charest said the student who wrote in the book reached out to her daughter online to say that there was never any intent to be threatening.

"I pray with every ounce of my being that it's never something that would turn into a tragedy," Charest said. "But how do you know it wouldn't? How do you know this isn't the beginning of a tragic situation?"

The school has also reached out to the parents of the students who were included in the book to answer their questions, school officials said. There is a private meeting with parents scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
As a parent, I'm not sure what I would do if my childs name was in there. Its a fucked up world we live in today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Seriously, there are things I love about Japan, but there are some seriously fucked up things in the mainstream for young people there that seem strangely accepted by society as a whole. Don't get me wrong, western culture is fucked too, but you all know what I'm talking about. I could start with the tentacles.. or this book.

The fact that's even a thing sold to kids is just.. why? Was this actually sold in an American book shop.. with no kind of parental warning/rule that it had to be an 18+ purchase, and seemingly for good reason?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
You can't be too careful these days... especially in a state as "gun friendly" as New Hampshire.
What are you going to do? Act on a thought crime? Whilst it might be disconcerting, you can't censor people's opinions

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
What are you going to do? Act on a thought crime? Whilst it might be disconcerting, you can't censor people's opinions
I agree 100%, but at the same time you can't blame people for getting spooked in this day and age where there seems to be a mass shooting every other week.

I'm not a lawyer so I really don't know if putting people's names on that kind of list constitutes a threat or conspiracy to commit, ect. Chances are it's just some douchey, melodramatic kid looking for attention.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I agree 100%, but at the same time you can't blame people for getting spooked in this day and age where there seems to be a mass shooting every other week.

I'm not a lawyer so I really don't know if putting people's names on that kind of list constitutes a threat or conspiracy to commit, ect. Chances are it's just some douchey, melodramatic kid looking for attention.
Mass shootings, although seemingly common, are statistically insignificant.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
"I'm not a lawyer so I really don't know if putting people's names on that kind of list constitutes a threat or conspiracy to commit, ect."- Ted Williams' head @DannyNL

I do believe you have to make a move towards preparing to cause the death in order for it to be illegal, just wishing/hoping/praying (LOL) for death is okey dokey.

I can see the school being concerned and speaking with the student and family but its too bad that they had to notify those mentioned. I get that they have to do that so the school doesn't get sued if something happens but damn. Shouldn't be put out to the news, likely everyone in that school knows who wrote the death wish list.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
"I'm not a lawyer so I really don't know if putting people's names on that kind of list constitutes a threat or conspiracy to commit, ect."- Ted Williams' head @DannyNL

I do believe you have to make a move towards preparing to cause the death in order for it to be illegal, just wishing/hoping/praying (LOL) for death is okey dokey.

I can see the school being concerned and speaking with the student and family but its too bad that they had to notify those mentioned. I get that they have to do that so the school doesn't get sued if something happens but damn. Shouldn't be put out to the news, likely everyone in that school knows who wrote the death wish list.
Yeah it's probably nothing. I was 13 years old in junior high when Columbine happened, and in the months after there were so many gun and death threats written on notes or on the bathroom stalls at our school, but it was never really taken seriously and was always just some guy trying to get us all a day off of school.

It's so much more sensitive now a days, everyone takes it much more seriously. The kid who wrote that is going to be forced to see psychiatrists and counselors no doubt to make sure everything is cool.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Nothing. Wanting people to die is not a crime.
Nope, sure isn't. Doesn't mean I wouldn't send her to another school, or try and protect her in some other way. I'll pray mine are never in a situation like this and it's a moot point.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
That doesn't make the possibility of it happening any less frightening for students and parents.
It might do. I wouldn't care if I was on a death note, because I know it's highly unlikely to lead anywhere.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
It might do. I wouldn't care if I was on a death note, because I know it's highly unlikely to lead anywhere.
Well that's your prerogative, others might not share that view. There's no harm in taking precautions to protect oneself. The fact that mass shootings are "statistically insignificant" is no comfort to the family and friends of a shooting victim.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Japan has some really interesting things.

I was watching this Halloween movie about that suicide forest over there. A Japanese forest where people go to die. No one knows when, people going through the forest find dead people there. Crazy stuff.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Well that's your prerogative, others might not share that view. There's no harm in taking precautions to protect oneself. The fact that mass shootings are "statistically insignificant" is no comfort to the family and friends of a shooting victim.
Obviously but that's not what we're discussing. We're talking about someone writing a list.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
What if the shooters at Columbine had written the names of their tormentors in a book instead of shooting them? This isn't necessarily a terrible problem to have.

Feb 28, 2015
Mass shootings, although seemingly common, are statistically insignificant.
Compared to?

Compared to mass shootings NOT happening in general, it's extremely significant.

I'm not for desensitization just because "statistical anomaly!". One is too many for me in cases such as mass shootings.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Compared to?

Compared to mass shootings NOT happening in general, it's extremely significant.

I'm not for desensitization just because "statistical anomaly!". One is too many for me in cases such as mass shootings.
Compared to gun related homicides, compared to other forms of child death (such as traffic accidents) and compared to an average day at school. You are right, one is too many but your child is HIGHLY unlikely to get shot in a mass shooting. The fact that someone wrote some names in a book isn't even news IMHO.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Japan has some really interesting things.

I was watching this Halloween movie about that suicide forest over there. A Japanese forest where people go to die. No one knows when, people going through the forest find dead people there. Crazy stuff.
That place is fucking crazy. I've watched a few docus where they literally just walk through it, and there are bodies hanging from trees every so often. Like, way too often.

There are even signs warning people. Apparently junkies like to rob people's wallets/pockets when they find them hanging

Sometimes I wonder what the point of life is lol. Although the suicide rates there are a lot higher than here, but man, think of how many people with families, lives, etc.. are hanging in that forest

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8

Aokigahara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In 2003, 105 bodies were found in the forest, exceeding the previous record of 78 in 2002.[6] In recent years, the local government has stopped publicizing the numbers in an attempt to downplay Aokigahara's association with suicide.[7] In 2004, 108 people killed themselves in the forest. In 2010, it is estimated that more than 200 people had attempted suicide in the forest, 54 of who completed the act.[2] Suicides are said to increase during March, the end of the fiscal year in Japan.[8] As of 2011, the most common means of suicide in the forest were hangings and drug overdoses.[9]"

Do you think anyone has ever run into each other in those woods when they were both there on separate suicide missions.. and then were like "WTF are we doing here? Fuck this, let's leave"

Just crazy. I mean the bodies range from fresh to fully decomposed. Walking through that place has to be the worst living nightmare. I kinda wanna go.