Demetrious Johnson: MMA only sport that blames athletes for promotional failure

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

LOS ANGELES -- Demetrious Johnsonhas heard the criticism before, and he knows he'll hear it again this week.

The UFC flyweight champion is widely regarded as one of the premiere pound-for-pound mixed martial artists on the planet, often trailing only UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and longtime UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo in major polls.

But his pay-per-views and his buyrates haven't matched his success inside the Octagon. And with what many consider a weak UFC 186 card on Saturday night in Montreal headlined by Johnson's title defense against the talented-but-unheralded Kyoji Horiguchi, Johnson has braced himself for the inevitable questions.

The champ has chosen to counter with a question for his questioners.

"Of all the sports, this is the only sport scrutinized where it falls all on the athlete," Johnson told reporters Monday. "Why does it always come down to blaming the athlete for not selling the product?"

In this case, it would be especially tough to blame "Mighty Mouse" if the card isn't a big seller, because the event has gone through several major changes since it was originally announced.

Demetrious Johnson: MMA only sport that blames athletes for promotional failure - MMA Fighting

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I think mighty mouse should know that its not really a sport per se. Its 50% sport 50% entertainment.

Its the only sport that doesnt have a real ranking system, some type of win algorithm, or a schedule based on it. People who are more entertaining, have more twitter followers, and polarizing will get the most PPV dollars decide the title shot.

I dont think any of this would matter if they were on normal cable but since its pay per view they only want buys. They dont care that much about pure wins and losses. Look at Jon Fitch. The dude got kicked out for winning too much in a boring way.

In no other sport could you get fired for doing your job but not being popular enough.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Mighty Mouse is right, and I like that he doesn't give a fuck about speaking his mind about Zuffa. I think he's confident enough that he will never be beaten, that he knows he can say whatever the fuck he wants and there ain't shit they can do about it.

That said, he does need to do something to promote himself more...IF he wants to make more money. If he's fine with his current quality of life, then more power to him!

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Mighty Mouse is right, and I like that he doesn't give a fuck about speaking his mind about Zuffa. I think he's confident enough that he will never be beaten, that he knows he can say whatever the fuck he wants and there ain't shit they can do about it.

That said, he does need to do something to promote himself more...IF he wants to make more money. If he's fine with his current quality of life, then more power to him!
the crappy thing is mighty mouse might be one loss away from never getting the title shot again and then eventually fired after another loss or 2. kinda sucks how the guy that are highly skilled but arent popular are treated in this business.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Didn't see this thread here. I posted this on the other site, don't feel like rewording it.

-----------

He would be a better draw if he (somehow) went on a huge finishing streak. I think any fighter can become at least an average draw (I'm not sure what that means, though, number-wise) by getting an invincibility aura.

Other fighters (like Brock) are far luckier. Looking the part is a huge factor in who's a draw. All Brock has to do is stand there, he doesn't even need to be a heel or talk shit or anything. He could be mute and still be a draw.

So, I do think MM could be a better draw, but a major star? I don't think the UFC can help with that. It would take 20 straight KO's or something to really make him a draw. I do agree with him that Zuffa could help a bit more.

And this isn't fun to say, but he looks a little funny, too. His head is very large, out of proportion with his shoulders...he's like a bobble-head of himself. It has the unfortunate resemblance to a child's body.

That's the problem, looks-wise, for the whole division. It's not that they're tiny men. It's that men that small have heads disproportionate to their bodies---some worse than others, but that is the look.

It's the shallowest thing ever, but I think it's a factor.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I've been amazed by his last couple of fights. For me, fighters in the lighter divisions compliment the other ones. Overall I think WW-HW is more entertaining, but I would miss the lighter divisions if they took them away. I like to see fighters moving at the speed of light and doing things that are impossible for heavier guys. It's a nice contrast.

MM is the kind of fighter I love to see round out a great card. I don't know if he can ever be THEE attraction, but he adds quality. He does amazing things.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
And this isn't fun to say, but he looks a little funny, too. His head is very large, out of proportion with his shoulders...he's like a bobble-head of himself. It has the unfortunate resemblance to a child's body.

That's the problem, looks-wise, for the whole division. It's not that they're tiny men. It's that men that small have heads disproportionate to their bodies---some worse than others, but that is the look.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I'm not a huge person myself. I am proud of my proportionate head, however. Been applauded many times at public establishments the second I walked through the door.

DJ could sleep with a head vice on and try some slow compression. Done right, it wouldn't interrupt his training camps.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
And not to bring this up for the billionth time, but whatever. How much promotion can Zuffa do? I mean with SO goddamn many fighters on the roster...On the other hand, you'd think it would be in their interest to promote every champ to the max.

It's weird to have fighters and then not do everything to promote them. I am questioning how much of a star a DJ can be, though. I think for a guy like him, he needs to go on a rampage. If you win a lot of decisions, then you have to at least have a certain look. If your look isn't right, you've got to be a destroyer.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I'm not a huge person myself. I am proud of my proportionate head, however. Been applauded many times at public establishments the second I walked through the door.

DJ could sleep with a head vice on and try some slow compression. Done right, it wouldn't interrupt his training camps.
hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

i just spit out my drink hahaha. if only superCalo @superCalo and 2JupitersTooMany @2JupitersTooMany were in this thread. they could add on it would reach another level of wackyness.

nni

Jan 21, 2015
He would be a better draw if he (somehow) went on a huge finishing streak. I think any fighter can become at least an average draw (I'm not sure what that means, though, number-wise) by getting an invincibility aura.
To be fair, he has finished 3 out of 4 of his last fights, with the one that he didn't finish being a one-sided beatdown of a roided opponent.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Other sports have real partners that help them market and other sports aren't reliant on hype for violent showdowns. There's either city pride, state pride, country etc. You are one of a huge list of American fighters and the smallest of them. You can't live in "The best country in the world" and then wonder why your people don't find instant cultural inspiration from backing you.

Other countries draw inspiration from beating "The best" when you are the so-called "best" only way left is down, it's the tradeoff when it's not Soccer or something the States isn't near the top at.

See why the Miracle on ice matter so much in the US, even though the US really has never embraced hockey all that much.

You are a smart car hitting a wall in a world of trucks hitting curbs looking more violent, stop copping out about your status and do something to change it and direct this issue you seem to have and want to voice AT YOUR BOSS instead of indirectly beating around the bush and getting mad at people refusing to buy into your fights.

They all want to pontificate about the issues, but never want to piss off the people responsible by calling them out.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
To be fair, he has finished 3 out of 4 of his last fights, with the one that he didn't finish being a one-sided beatdown of a roided opponent.

Which sadly, even if he does finish guys, he's so small that the KO's don't register like the bigger weights do with people. He's cursed to have all the strikes against him and what makes others enter into favourite territory isn't even good enough for him or that weight class. Sucks but those guys are going to have to find their own way of setting it apart.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
If DJ wants to make waves, he should step up in weight. Floyd and Manny started out in the smaller weight classes, but they stepped up to bigger challenges.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

i just spit out my drink hahaha. if only superCalo @superCalo and 2JupitersTooMany @2JupitersTooMany were in this thread. they could add on it would reach another level of wackyness.

Jupes will set a place on fire...Calo beautifully criminalizes every thread with surreal troll fuel. IT'S LIKE THEY'RE THE SAME GUY. Prolly just my imagination though.

Anyway, maybe in a year or so ALL the talent will be over here. Those guys can make any thread shine.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
True, and if he does it a few more times then he might get that PPV-relevance. Here's hoping.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Which sadly, even if he does finish guys, he's so small that the KO's don't register like the bigger weights do with people. He's cursed to have all the strikes against him and what makes others enter into favourite territory isn't even good enough for him or that weight class. Sucks but those guys are going to have to find their own way of setting it apart.
I don't see why he can't grow a tremendous mustache or something, something OK-Corral Sheriff, for instance. A tiny man with bulbous head and Nietzschean broom-brush on his face, moving at the speed of light, knocking fools out? Would fucking watch.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Other sports have real partners that help them market and other sports aren't reliant on hype for violent showdowns. There's either city pride, state pride, country etc. You are one of a huge list of American fighters and the smallest of them. You can't live in "The best country in the world" and then wonder why your people don't find instant cultural inspiration from backing you.

Other countries draw inspiration from beating "The best" when you are the so-called "best" only way left is down, it's the tradeoff when it's not Soccer or something the States isn't near the top at.

See why the Miracle on ice matter so much in the US, even though the US really has never embraced hockey all that much.

You are a smart car hitting a wall in a world of trucks hitting curbs looking more violent, stop copping out about your status and do something to change it and direct this issue you seem to have and want to voice AT YOUR BOSS instead of indirectly beating around the bush and getting mad at people refusing to buy into your fights.

They all want to pontificate about the issues, but never want to piss off the people responsible by calling them out.
This is a superb post. Spot on about American culture. Yep, our X-treme approach to everything makes for a different ballgame altogether.

To go along with your hockey example, I would make a similar analogy with chess. Nobody really cared about it in the U.S. until Bobby Fischer started kicking ass in the early to mid 60's, culminating in the match with Spassky in 72. Fischer himself was the American Story in many ways---fiercely independent and strong-willed, had humble beginnings, fought against terrific odds more or less by himself (the Russians conspired in various ways to make things difficult for him), and still won. An uncompromising fighter. But this by itself wouldn't have made Americans care. It was only after the State Dept. realized that Fischer beating the Soviets would be fantastic PR for the cold war effort that his successes were given a hard push in the media. Of course it went both ways; the Russians knew that Spassky beating Fischer would work in their favor in the same way. Both sides were all in.

But Fischer, for all his merits and awesome story, wouldn't have become famous if it weren't politically advantageous for the American government to promote him in the media. The flip side to this is that he was very promotable. He was tall, broad-shouldered, masculine, spoke his mind and beat his own drum. Some frumpy bespectacled librarian Grandmaster, even with the same skill, wouldn't have had the same impact. As luck would have it, Spassky himself was kind of a playboy. Handsome, always relaxed. Not easily rattled. At the bottom of it all was the USA vs. the Soviet Union, a clash of ideologies on the grandest stage imaginable.

That's kind of the recipe for how other global sports operate---national pride + politics = interest. The personalities come after that. With an individual-based sporting spectacle like the UFC, you've got this very different rationale, and not everybody can succeed by it. You can always help yourself to some degree, but how much is open to debate. One of the delusions that reality shows have fostered is that EVERY goddamn body can be a star just because they think they should be. And that's pretty much what the UFC is. It's a reality show. The reality show within that show---TUF---is just a sly joke.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015

Just to clarify, are you saying DJ is beating around the bush? His complaint sounds pretty direct to me.