Demetrious Johnson still interested in T.J. Dillashaw superfight, but not the UFC bantamweight belt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Most of the talk about a proposed superfight between UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw and flyweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw has centered on the idea that Dillashaw would go down to 125 pounds and challenge the longest-reigning current UFC champ for his title.

Most of the talk about a proposed superfight between UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw and flyweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw has centered on the idea that Dillashaw would go down to 125 pounds and challenge the longest-reigning current UFC champ for his title.

That goes against the grain of most superfights, in which the smaller competitor tends to step up in weight. Such is the case for the last UFC superfight, when lightweight champion B.J. Penn went up and fought welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre in 2009, or the next one, when light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier meets Stipe Miocic at UFC 226.

But Johnson, for his part, has a simple explanation for why Dillashaw would come down to his turf: DJ has no interest in defending the bantamweight title, if he was to defeat Dillashaw at 135.

“I’m going to be frank and honest,” Johnson said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “If I went up there and beat T.J. Dillashaw at 135 pounds, I have no interest whatsoever in staying at 135. People are like ‘why not?’ and I’m like I have no interest in fighting guys who walk around at 160 pounds.”

Demetrious Johnson still interested in T.J. Dillashaw superfight, but not the UFC bantamweight belt

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
But is Most of the talk about a proposed superfight between UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw and flyweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw has centered on the idea that Dillashaw would go down to 125 pounds and challenge the longest-reigning current UFC champ for his title? :D

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Cliffs please......i thought this fight was scheduled....if so, they’ve agreed a weight and I’m not interested in any hypotheticals.......

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Cliffs please......i thought this fight was scheduled....if so, they’ve agreed a weight and I’m not interested in any hypotheticals.......
I just read the first two paragraphs but what I got out of it was Most of the talk about a proposed superfight between UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw and flyweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw has centered on the idea that Dillashaw would go down to 125 pounds and challenge the longest-reigning current UFC champ for his title.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I just read the first two paragraphs but what I got out of it was Most of the talk about a proposed superfight between UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw and flyweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw has centered on the idea that Dillashaw would go down to 125 pounds and challenge the longest-reigning current UFC champ for his title.
I thought it was booked and therefore at a weight???????????????
Not proposed and no weight confirmation

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I thought it was booked and therefore at a weight???????????????
Not proposed and no weight confirmation
“[Dillashaw] wants to make the weight cut,” Johnson said. “He wants to make the weight cut, he wants to be the champ champ and all that jazz. I don’t care about being the champ champ. I want to be the only consecutive 12-time defending champion in any mixed martial arts promotion. ... The champ champ is old news nowadays. But you know what is brand-new news? 11-time defending champion.”

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
So before this fight he wasn't convinced TJ could make the weight, but now he doesn't move up? He somehow changed his mind?