Demian Maia got himself a backpack

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
He's a big guy in comparison to Woodley. Totally different builds obviously but I was surprised at the height difference.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Demian is such a nice guy. Listened to him a couple of times on Ariel and can only root for the guy ever since......

Hats off to Woodley for making that funny. He's a pretty intelligent man, who wants to be paid as much as possible for the work he does.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Maia barely moved when a 180+ lb man jumped on his back his legs must be strong AF.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Hats off to Woodley for making that funny. He's a pretty intelligent man, who wants to be paid as much as possible for the work he does.
The thing is, Woodley has not been very smart about how he presents himself. At all. Look at this one video, and the positive reaction it has got. This is how he should act more often.

The problem with whining is that it just annoys fans but it doesn't turn you into a proper heel that fans pay to see lose. Call Maia a butt-flopper, a boring fighter and that's why you won't fight him to piss people off. Don't be respectful but still unwilling to fight him.

There is also no need to publicly call out some of the guys he has been. If Conor or GSP want the 170 title shot, they will get it, Woodley's mouth isn't going to influence that at all.

Right now Woodley is a somewhat unlikable - but far from detestable - guy coming off an awful, razor thin fight begging to fight guys he is letting the audience know are much bigger names than him. He looks weak because of it. It's not how you sell yourself.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
The thing is, Woodley has not been very smart about how he presents himself. At all. Look at this one video, and the positive reaction it has got. This is how he should act more often.

The problem with whining is that it just annoys fans but it doesn't turn you into a proper heel that fans pay to see lose. Call Maia a butt-flopper, a boring fighter and that's why you won't fight him to piss people off. Don't be respectful but still unwilling to fight him.

There is also no need to publicly call out some of the guys he has been. If Conor or GSP want the 170 title shot, they will get it, Woodley's mouth isn't going to influence that at all.

Right now Woodley is a somewhat unlikable - but far from detestable - guy coming off an awful, razor thin fight begging to fight guys he is letting the audience know are much bigger names than him. He looks weak because of it. It's not how you sell yourself.
It's hard to be the good guy and get paid. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most MMA fans don't train, or understand the fight game, so only those that stand out get attention (Mcgregor, The Diaz bros, Sonnen). Bad boys get paid because they draw eyes. Mighty Mouse should turn heel too.

M

member 603

Hilarious on the part of both of them, it's great to see respect amongst fighters. In regards to this match up, I really see Maia winning this fight... A lot of people are saying that Maia has to get past Woodley's striking, like Maia hasn't fought hard hitters in Brown, Masdival, Condit, or any of the MW's he fought.... I have Maia winning via 3rd/4th round sub or UD.

BTW, when they make this fight official, do you think somewhere Nate Marquardt will be screaming "FUCK!!!"?

Yeah, I see how you, and many people can think that way. I think he knows he's the one risking his ass out there, so why shouldn't he try to get as much as he can from his efforts? He was angling for different fights and I think he's smart to do that. Perhaps he's not good at it but oh well, can't fault a man for giving it a go. The one major miscalculation was his attempts to play the race card- that was dumb. People don't like being falsely accused but that may be more a product of North American society lending an ear to that noise.
I don't think that last fight with Thompson was close. It may have taken 5 rounds of suspense but in the end he fucked Thompson up.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It's hard to be the good guy and get paid. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most MMA fans don't train, or understand the fight game, so only those that stand out get attention (Mcgregor, The Diaz bros, Sonnen). Bad boys get paid because they draw eyes. Mighty Mouse should turn heel too.
That was my point. I am saying Tyron isn't a 'bad boy' - he is still generally respectful and doesn't have great promos - he just whines, which isn't effective in eliciting fan backlash, just potentially harmful boredom and annoyance. He wants fans to like or hate him, not just be frustrated by him.

It's a lot more complicated than just being a 'bad boy' to have an effective persona and 'good boys' (thanks GGG) can be draws too. Chael and Conor are excellent talkers, whereas the Diaz bros can barely spit out a sentence. And the Diaz bros are Stone Cold Steve Austin-style good guys, not bad guys in fans minds.

GSP, Anderson, Chuck, Randy, Hendo, Rich Franklin, BJ Penn, pre-exposed as scumbag Jon Jones - none of these guys were heels and some were not even great talkers (hell, one didn't even speak English most of his career).

Point is, Tyron doesn't have to be a heel to get fans to respond to him and land 'money fights', but if that is the route he chooses, he should do it properly.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Maia barely moved when a 180+ lb man jumped on his back his legs must be strong AF.
I know what you're saying but his original weight was at MW. He's used to handling heavier dudes.