Demian Maia vs Tyron Woodley

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Who do you want to win (top 2)? Who do you think will win (bottom 2)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
A lot of us are (understandably) distracted by the return of the GOAT king this weekend (praise be to Jones), but this is a really intriguing matchup. Tyron Woodley, coming off of two snoozefest title defenses is going to face Demian Maia, riding a 7 fight winning streak and finally getting his shot at WW Gold. I don't want to make two different threads, so the top two will be who you WANT to win, while the bottom two will be who you THINK will win.

Will Maia do what he's done to nearly everybody lately and jump on Tyron's back for a slick RNC, or will Woodley be able to defend and pick him apart on the feet?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I really like both guys a lot, but Demian is my jiu jitsu lord and savior, so I have to ride with him on this one.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Tyron needs to only concentrate on one thing and one thing only.....for the entire camp.

He can spend weeks on different trouble spots on the ground and not even bother working on striking, at all.

For this reason I am going to say Tyron should easily win a decision unless he ko's Damian.......odds should be 7-1 woodley

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I would love to see Maia win the belt, but I think Tyron will be very hard for Maia to get down and he has very heavy hands including good ground and pound.

TalkingLeaf

Nov 4, 2015
Hard fight for Maia. I think his only real chance is if woodley gasses in the later rounds and can get on his back.

Maia's striking is so limited that I don't think it lasts that long. Woodley is too talented wrestling wise to get taken down and he will hit Maia eventually.

I'm the lone vote, so far, on hoping woodley wins. I like Maia more than woodley, but I like winning 50 bucks more than Maia, so go woodley.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Hard fight for Maia. I think his only real chance is if woodley gasses in the later rounds and can get on his back.

Maia's striking is so limited that I don't think it lasts that long. Woodley is too talented wrestling wise to get taken down and he will hit Maia eventually.

I'm the lone vote, so far, on hoping woodley wins. I like Maia more than woodley, but I like winning 50 bucks more than Maia, so go woodley.
These are solid points, but Jon Fitch, Chael Sonnen and Rick Story were all supposed to be wrestling dynamoes too. Shields was able to use his wrestling as a difference maker, but that's because of how high level his BJJ was. Woodley is much smaller than Demian so he could fall prey to the smother game.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
If it hits the mat Maia needs to work quick for a sub. Can't just try and lay on Woodley trying to get points for top control.

TalkingLeaf

Nov 4, 2015
These are solid points, but Jon Fitch, Chael Sonnen and Rick Story were all supposed to be wrestling dynamoes too. Shields was able to use his wrestling as a difference maker, but that's because of how high level his BJJ was. Woodley is much smaller than Demian so he could fall prey to the smother game.
None of those guys have the striking that woodley possesses. It's far easier to shoot on someone,or initiate the clinch, when getting hit won't knock you silly.

The striking difference is just too great. Maia wins only if woodley fucks up. Which he may do, but I hate picking a guy to win depending on his opponent making mistakes, cause if he doesn't the path to victory is very narrow.

Plus, those fights were 4 years ago. Maia at 39 can't be the same fighter he was at 35.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I agree with most of you. Tough matchup for Maia. He's gotta make Tyron miss and get inside on a leg as quickly as he can, then hopefully his size matters enough to hold Tyron down while he works for the sub.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Woodley is almost DC levels of unlikeable for me. Can't be sure why. Just, not a fan at all.

Maia has waited and waited and waited and finally he gets something. Hope he can do it and earn one decent payday then retire and start looking a little more normal. 170 is clearly not his natural weight,

T

The Big Guy

Want
Maia is alot bigger and im hoping woodley backs into the fence like he did in the thompson fights then maia shoots a single that fails and gets a bodylock. Takes the back and puts woodley to sleep.
Think
You would think woodley would take the center and only let maia shoot desperation takedowns in open space where i expect woodley to be able to defend those and create space. Like an above poster said woodley only needs to work a few positions and just try to use crisp boxing and he should be able to get a early finish

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I think Woodley will win, but I feel people are elevating Woodley's wrestling to mythical status and forgetting that Maia has ragdolled bigger wrestlers than T-Wood - significantly bigger wrestlers. Woodley is 5'8-9. He's powerful and jacked, but he is small.

Rory and Marquardt took Woodley down. Maia took down Chael, let alone all the other wrestlers you can list off. Not saying Maia WILL take Woodley down, but thinking Maia CAN'T take down Woodley is fucking retarded.