Dern hit with higher fines than normal for UFC 224 miss

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Raquel Pennington and her questionable corner may be dominating the narrative coming out of UFC 224, but, going in everyone was talking about Mackenzie Dern. The former world champion black belt has an inescapable air of high expectations around her, and when she missed weight by seven pounds for her strawweight bout against Amanda Cooper, questions about her dedication and potential fighting future leapt to the forefront.

The Brazilian Athletic Commission (CAB), on the other hand, leapt toward her pocket book. In a recent interview with Ariel…

Mackenzie Dern’s UFC 224 weight miss cost a lot more than normal

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Good. She needs to get her shit together or go up a weight class. Dana’s killed guys like Hendricks and Gastelum in the media for missing weight, yet it’s radio silence about Dern.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
when you miss 40% of the weigh ins for your fights, there's something wrong.

She could still be a great fighter in a heavier division. Bite the bullet and do what's best for your health, Mack.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I think she'd be fine at 115 while she's rounding out her game, she was 7.4lbs over but she had most of her fat still
Maybe so, and agree that she could shed some chub. She's pretty thick compared to the others at 115, especially if you consider Joanna or Rose.

When she got to Brazil, she was just under 140lbs, so to make 115 she was trying to cut 18% of her body weight (25 lbs). That's no good IMO, and if she wants to stay fluffy outside of camps, I think she'd be better off at 125.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Maybe so, and agree that she could shed some chub. She's pretty thick compared to the others at 115, especially if you consider Joanna or Rose.

When she got to Brazil, she was just under 140lbs, so to make 115 she was trying to cut 18% of her body weight (25 lbs). That's no good IMO, and if she wants to stay fluffy outside of camps, I think she'd be better off at 125.
I'd like to know what her walk around weight is when she's not a bloated whale though, and when you saw the two fighters at the final face-off ABC looked about the same size but in far better shape and with sunken cheekbones which highlighted her weight cut. I'm still a believer Dern could healthily make 115 if she made some adjustments to her diet and exercised a bit more in general, not just for fight camps. The UFC are going to have her visiting the Performance Institute so we'll see what their "experts" think, they might well suggest she moves up too.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

She could easily make 105 if she lost the fat. If you look at the pics where she made 115 she was still very fluffy.

She made 115 here.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
She could easily make 105 if she lost the fat. If you look at the pics where she made 115 she was still very fluffy.

She made 115 here

ring card girl on the left has just realised she's the fattest person in the room :D one on the right knows she's the skinniest