Diego Sanchez: I didn’t quit, I made a ‘smart, veteran decision’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

“No. It was an illegal shot. I can’t see. The blood. I can’t see.”

That was Diego Sanchez telling the referee he can’t continue anymore, after taking an illegal knee on Saturday night.

Michel Pereira was easily winning all three rounds of their bout, but he unfortunately landed an illegal strike that cost him the bout. Sanchez went on to win the fight via disqualification, but some pundits have criticized the long term UFC veteran for it.

“Did I quit? No,” Sanchez told MMA Junkie. “I got hit with a (expletive) serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran…

Diego Sanchez on DQ win: I didn’t quit, I made a ‘smart, veteran decision’

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
While I appreciate his fresh take on this type of situation, I don’t know if it did him any favors in how the situation is being perceived. He doesn’t like the term “quit” but he is admitting he took the out. Not that Diego would care what I or any fan thinks, I definitely look at him differently now.

M

member 3289

He quit.

Was it the smartest decision, seeing as he might've been cut had he continued fighting and lost a decision? Yes.

Was it one of the least honorable ways to win a fight? Also yes.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think he should cash the check and move on

The explaining it isn't helpful imo

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
here is the thing. if he got kneed in the head and legitimately couldnt continue then it is the right choice. shit happens. it is a rule for a reason. thaisnt the case though. he was up on his feet. he could have continued but he fuckin lied. we have seen him fight covered in blood and beat to shit lots of times. he took the easy way out. its not like he was down on the ground for 5 mins. he took the W and the extra 100k and got the hell out of there. that was the only way he was going to win that fight

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
While everyone is shunning Diego for taking the easy way out, I am reminded of Cole Miller vs Joe Lauzon at the TUF house.

Cole was winning the fight but had two illegal strikes happen to him which totally and obviously changed the momentum of that fight.

Unlike Diego, Cole was visibly hurt and you could see Cole was considering not continuing but his Bushido spirit got the best of him.

I'll always remember that and fights like Diego one, only highlights how bad ass Cole Miller was for what he did.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
While everyone is shunning Diego for taking the easy way out, I am reminded of Cole Miller vs Joe Lauzon at the TUF house.

Cole was winning the fight but had two illegal strikes happen to him which totally and obviously changed the momentum of that fight.

Unlike Diego, Cole was visibly hurt and you could see Cole was considering not continuing but his Bushido spirit got the best of him.

I'll always remember that and fights like Diego one, only highlights how bad ass Cole Miller was for what he did.
Cole Miller is awesome. Love that he always spoke positive of B.J. and was always down for the smoke...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
why don't any of these guys talk to a publicist or someone skilled in the art of influence before making public statements like this?

"I knew I was down on the cards, I knew the only way I was going to win was by knocking him out. But that knee affected my vision and my balance, and I knew that it had deprived me of my best chance at victory. I'll take shots all day to land one that ends the fight, but I'm not in the business of getting hit for the heck of it. I didn't win the way I wanted to, but I earned that victory by staying in the fight and fighting by the rules."