Discussion on UG : Kirik response to being paid by UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
lookoutawhale;n18339 said:
unless he misread that troll article and thought it was fact. unless someone else here has found something on google..
Or he will say whatever it takes to avoid admitting he banned gifs, June White discussions, Dana criticism, and Lorenzo tweets because Zuffa owns some of stake in that website.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
lookoutawhale;n18239 said:
and can forum be sued for what a member put up? normally a lawyer would put up a cease and desist letter.
Yes you can get sued for what members do.
The trouble with then be -- did you listen to DMCA takedown notices? Did you ignore read flags (yo bros, we got a thread full of torrent links!!! post here!!)? Did you do anything about repeat offenders?
Its a subjective area, but if you post something and the copyright holder wants me to take it down, it'll go down. That simple. And we don't condone the using our form for any illegal activities. I don't give a shit what you do on your own time and won't attempt to police anything that doesn't endanger the forum for everyone else.

Especially if you don't host the images yourself.
Not always a defense. It helps. And usually its nothing. But if your whole site is just links to well obvious illegal content (think the old isohunt) there is precedent for it to be a problem.

So I'm not sure what's fair use and who owns what, etc. We try to keep focused on sharing public content and discussions. If someone needs a post removed because we are hosting something, we'll remove it, notify the user, and watch out to make sure its not being posted again all over.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Splinty;n18413 said:
Yes you can get sued for what members do. The trouble with then be -- did you listen to DMCA takedown notices? Did you ignore read flags (yo bros, we got a thread full of torrent links!!! post here!!)? Did you do anything about repeat offenders? Its a subjective area, but if you post something and the copyright holder wants me to take it down, it'll go down. That simple. And we don't condone the using our form for any illegal activities. I don't give a shit what you do on your own time and won't attempt to police anything that doesn't endanger the forum for everyone else..
Im wondering how this works in relation to the lawsuit kirik is talking about.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2417155/Why-is-the-UG-deleting-threads-for-UFC/?&page=9

"Kirik - We just in December closed a copyright case in Federal court that cost us $20,000, over 22 images posted on the site, posted by UGers, and hosted on a third party site. After we were 20k in, the judge, who I assume knew they had a bs case, required they and the client show at arbitration. They bailed at that point as long as I signed something saying I wouldn't sue them, which I signed. As the suit was for over 2 million, I imagine an acceptable settlement would have been large. I can say this with certainty - Federal court is expensive"
He said that he got sued for 2 million dollars because someone posted some pictures. The first course of action for a lawyer would be for a cease and desist letter/message to the forum owner no? Did he contact the UG admin and not get a response and then they went on with the suit? Or can a lawyer take a forum straight to court? Where all of a sudden you have to lawyer up and defend yourself without them even letting you know.

This is where i thought it was kinda wonky. Kirik said the judge though it was a frivolous law suit that should have been thrown out.

When i asked who it was or the pictures in question, there was no reply so did this even occur or was it meant to scare monger people into justifying why the Lorenzo threads have been deleted? Can Lorenzo even sue a forum based on what he said in a public forum on twitter to another public figure on twitter. And also he stated that Reddit is being sued for $100 million+

Kirik - Reddit is in the process of settling a case for in the nine figures for behavior on their forums.
when i asked about Reddit, that was also ignored... so is Reddit even being sued or again is this some ploy to scare the users into justifying that the boogie man will get them if they post the wrong stuff.

I know websites can get sued.. but his examples don't seem to exist. Googling reddit being sued for that much would be a huge news story. Its nowhere on google.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I Wild Each It;n18351 said:
Or he will say whatever it takes to avoid admitting he banned gifs, June White discussions, Dana criticism, and Lorenzo tweets because Zuffa owns some of stake in that website.
dun dun dunnnnnnn!

I think when it comes down to it, he wants to retain these people as part of his network and doesn't want to burn bridges. He might need them for business ventures in the future.

The Tomahawk Murderer

Feb 12, 2015
Kirik has long taken a fairly pompous, "if you don't see it like me you should be ashamed of yourself" tone on matters like this. Often while making less than intelligent or reasonable points. Nothing new there. The guy really should just shut up and let it be or get somebody else to write for him. Especially his articles, but that's another subject entirely, lol.

For some odd reason though, I've always found that greedy bullshitter to come across rather likable somehow.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Kirik is a fucking hypocrite, if you read this quote down here from the lozenzo fertitta threads on the ug, you should think that he means business.
Well he is full of shit, there is a thread about Matt brown who allegedly beat the shit out of his bjj instructor/best friend eva.
Because it wasn't in a cage, and set up by a promoter this would qualify as private life, so why the fuck is this thread still up and are mods posting in it.
By his math this should've been deleted, i truly don't care what people discuss on a forum but he should just stfu and don't lie.

You can't discuss the personal life of prominent figures in the MMA community on the UG. It is in the terms of service, and is eminently reasonable. It has always been the case.

It has been the case since the late 90s

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I still would like to see these court cases Kirik is referring to with the MMA UG, I have search pretty much all day and have turned up nothing. I am not saying he is lying, but im saying until I see proof he is stretching the realm of truth. Kirik can say what he wants officially but unofficially everyone knows what is going on.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
delightone;n18775 said:
Kirik is a fucking hypocrite, if you read this quote down here from the lozenzo fertitta threads on the ug, you should think that he means business.
Well he is full of shit, there is a thread about Matt brown who allegedly beat the shit out of his bjj instructor/best friend eva.
Because it wasn't in a cage, and set up by a promoter this would qualify as private life, so why the fuck is this thread still up and are mods posting in it.
By his math this should've been deleted, i truly don't care what people discuss on a forum but he should just stfu and don't lie.

You can't discuss the personal life of prominent figures in the MMA community on the UG. It is in the terms of service, and is eminently reasonable. It has always been the case.

It has been the case since the late 90s

The quote you posted was my main talking point. I said I'm all for TOS and think they are needed but you need to actually enforce them and be ready to be accountable by your reasoning. The UG posts every single detail regarding Ronda and Conor whether its directly related to MMA or not and it's all good but when it's a rich powerful man the mods are much quicker to freeze/ban than say all those who FLAMED Nate Quarry without mercy over the law suite.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Soooo discussing Matt Browns personal life is ok, and Rhonda's looks are OK, but not Lorenzo's personal life.... Makes sense. Hope more members keep coming over.

Rico_Cutler

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
You can talk shit about anybody on the roster but Dana and Lorenzo are off limits. He knows where his bread is buttered and its so obvious the UFC is pulling the strings at his site even though he claims they are not.

I also would like to know if this federal court lawsuit he mentioned is bullshit. He claimed that is where all the money for the blue names went in the last year.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Rico_Cutler;n19289 said:
You can talk shit about anybody on the roster but Dana and Lorenzo are off limits. He knows where his bread is buttered and its so obvious the UFC is pulling the strings at his site even though he claims they are not.

I also would like to know if this federal court lawsuit he mentioned is bullshit. He claimed that is where all the money for the blue names went in the last year.
For all the money to have gone into that lawsuit, which cost him $20k, he could only have 666.6r members if they are paying by the year, less if they buy for 6 months at a time. How many blue members are there, does anyone know or know of a good way to estimate?

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

Zeph;n19304 said:
For him all the money to have gone into that lawsuit, which cost him $20k, he could only have 666.6r members if they are paying by the year, less if they buy for 6 months at a time. How many blue members are there, does anyone know or know of a good way to estimate?
in the past, i posted link.clips,pics and a blue would immidiatly embed, for the last few months nothing.
way less blue as before, a lot of them quit posting.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Kirik is inconsistent and full of shit. That is all I am even going to give that guy. Everyone here knows it. He's a fucking liar.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Morpheus1976;19320 said:
in the past, i posted link.clips,pics and a blue would immidiatly embed, for the last few months nothing.
way less blue as before, a lot of them quit posting.
There's also a huge influx of '14 and '15 muds with barely any posts talking a lotta shit to anybody and everybody.

If they wanna keep that trash there and let paying member walk because of it, I guess that's their business!

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Calavaro;n18077 said:
Point of order.

1. It's a privately owned forum and the owner can do precisely whatever he feels like without having to explain himself to anyone. He can ban the posting of cats tomorrow and nothing anyone can do about it.

2. People bitching an moaning about a privately owned forum are completely clueless what it takes to successfully (and profitably) run a forum. (hint: you'll almost always lose money if you do not have a clear business plan. Setting up a forum just because it is free or easy is a surefire way to find a slippery slope).

3. There is a clear example of a forum parting company with the parent forum and setting up that part on it's own URL/server.ownership. That forum turned to complete garbage in 2 seconds flat because it was run by peole who thought everything was free/easy/no consequence... oh boy they were wrong.

4. Once you get famous in any capacity you will be haunted by trolls (and worse) that try to rub you the wrong way. They will nitpick everything you say and rake you over the coals in 2 seconds flat if it suits their mood.... all anonymously of course.

5. Any attempt to clean up will be met with strong resistance, no matter what and specially if the rules of any sort change. Tards will defend their right to suicide at all costs... just to "win".

6. Sorry I wild each it... you'll be one of the targets once the forum hits 10k subs or so... prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

7. That Kirik didn't sell out during 2007-2009 speaks volumes about his character. He probably turned down a good chunk of pocket change more than once.
Forgive me (all), as I'm posting after reading no further than p. 2 at this point.

That's a quality post, there, Calavaro, not least of all because you're bucking the overall momentum of this thread in a reasonable way.

One point to make: Kirik has a good character overall, meaning he means to do well. Any intelligent person who's been in the game and on the board since pre-TUF years knows this. The reason the forum's gone to shit isn't that his character (his intentions) are corrupt, or that anything about him is intentionally corrupt, but that his judgment's for shit.

I no doubt offended some of you by posting in another thread about how great Crooklyn is. He made her a mod on the heels of her whole dildo vid shenanigans and wars with the "phone bone" crew. This is after she was blue-naming every drama queen shill and shit-quality troll that showed up on the site because she had some kind of in-kind-trade thing going on with Kirik.

That is just retarded, to have made her a mod on the heels of all that.

That's not an error of intention, it's an error of judgment.

It's depressing to thing about how obvious it is that this is basically what's wrong with the site, and why it's overrun by idiots now, and mods who lack the discernment to "govern" in an insightful way.

Good intentions, without clear judgment, are really not worth much.

Kirik has good, noble intentions, he's just not a particularly smart or insightful guy, running a site more according to what serves him in his mind, than according to a larger vision, and adapting his own impressions of people, users, mods, and reality according to that need, seemingly without really being aware of it himself.

The site is thriving. It's just a piece of shit, unfortunately, since given its traffic it could have been something more like what it was in the old days (pre-TUF).

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I've always wondered how much profit Kirik earned from the UG. Out of principle I never bought a blue-name (I would never pay someone for the privilege of posting pics and other features that are standard and free everywhere else on the internet) but there was a time when there must have been tens of thousands of blues (around 2009-2010). Maybe there still are...

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
^^^^^

I copied this from back in 2002 or so,just for keep sake.Kirik makes a alot more from the athletic commissions on a monthly basis.

We have several different ways for you to advertise on MixedMartialArts.com:
1. Mass mailing to MMA.com members. $75 for one mailing. Actual number of individual emails that go out varies (it is members who have logged on and chosen the "mailing list" option), but it is approximately 60% of total members. Mailer will also be posted on the Underground by a site administrator.

2. Banner in Rotation. $75 for one week. There is a banner on every page of the Underground. At any given time there are up to a dozen banners in rotation. As the average person stays on the site for 23 minutes, all banners get excellent viewing.
$225 per month. $675 for four months.

3. Fixed Banner on the Underground. $75 for one week week. By far the most popular aspect of the site is the Underground Forum. This option would display the banner of your choice each time the person enters the Underground Forum.
$225 per month. $675 for four months.

4. Fixed Banner on the Main Page. $150 for one week. All traffic to the site, except for those coming from a few select pages, is directed to the main page, ensuring maximum viewership. This banner is not in rotation, but stays there permanently, for the contracted period of time.
$450 per month. $1350 for four months.

5. Member Offer. $150 per week. Individuals offering a discounted rate to the members of MixedMartialArts.com, can submit the offer to the MMA.com staff. The best discounts received will be featured on a weekly basis in the prominent Member Offer page, in addition to a banner and mailer.

6. Total Package. $250 per week. This covers the fixed banner on the main page, a banner in rotation, and a mailer ($300 value).

VOLUME DISCOUNT EXPLANATION:
If you take three consecutive weeks, the fourth week+ is free (25% off) to make an entire month.
If you take three consecutive months at the monthly rate, the fourth month is free (further 25% off).
We offer nothing longer than four months as the web changes so quickly.

All advertising is on a first come first serve basis. Banners must sit on your server or elsewhere on the web, and be 60 x 468 or smaller to fit well on our page. We accept checks or major credit cards.

For further information:
Email: Advertising@MixedMartialArts.com
US and Canada call toll free: 1-800-331-6898
Florida residents and international callers dial: 407-886-9121
NESF
460 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Dougie;n19875 said:
I'd drink beers with Kirik.

I asked him to do a AMA back in November and he said he'd do it once the holidays died down I think. If somehow the members could keep it semi respectful it could be great. There's a lot of questions from paying members that don't get addressed and it would be a good way to clear up some issues. If he ever does it I'm in for sure, possibly very entertaining.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Gilbosh;n17529 said:
Once thing which is obvious is the increasing growth of discontent with the UFC and it's practices within long time fans. Fans like me that can't believe the sport we love can be managed like this BUT this discontent also has far reaching consequences for any forum / journalist / website which may have some kind of perceived mutual agreement,

Whilst the UFC goes through increasingly volatile patch, the ug will also have to weather that same storm...and for me the only way the ug can survive that storm is if MOD practices are better understood..(many people have been banned for nothing more than disagreeing with Cindy, yet it's OK for her shout the the same vile and go on her merry way) and they should explain also explain their actions.
Personally, I'm very happy here now and hope this forum continues to grow as I don't see any cultural or technological change happening over there.
Absolutely dead-on re: mod practices. I think every act of censorship should be noted on the thread in question. When a post is removed, the mod's rationale for censoring (in the form of a worded explanation) should take its place. If a thread is deleted, the TS should be notified, also with an explanation.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
imanottashora;n19707 said:
Forgive me (all), as I'm posting after reading no further than p. 2 at this point.

That's a quality post, there, Calavaro, not least of all because you're bucking the overall momentum of this thread in a reasonable way.

One point to make: Kirik has a good character overall, meaning he means to do well. Any intelligent person who's been in the game and on the board since pre-TUF years knows this. The reason the forum's gone to shit isn't that his character (his intentions) are corrupt, or that anything about him is intentionally corrupt, but that his judgment's for shit.

I no doubt offended some of you by posting in another thread about how great Crooklyn is. He made her a mod on the heels of her whole dildo vid shenanigans and wars with the "phone bone" crew. This is after she was blue-naming every drama queen shill and shit-quality troll that showed up on the site because she had some kind of in-kind-trade thing going on with Kirik.

That is just retarded, to have made her a mod on the heels of all that.

That's not an error of intention, it's an error of judgment.

It's depressing to thing about how obvious it is that this is basically what's wrong with the site, and why it's overrun by idiots now, and mods who lack the discernment to "govern" in an insightful way.

Good intentions, without clear judgment, are really not worth much.

Kirik has good, noble intentions, he's just not a particularly smart or insightful guy, running a site more according to what serves him in his mind, than according to a larger vision, and adapting his own impressions of people, users, mods, and reality according to that need, seemingly without really being aware of it himself.

The site is thriving. It's just a piece of shit, unfortunately, since given its traffic it could have been something more like what it was in the old days (pre-TUF).

good post. This man gets it.