District Attorney plans on bringing Jon Jones case to grand jury

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The Jon Jones case is likely to go before a grand jury.

Bernalillo County (N.M.) district attorney Kari Bradenburg "anticipates" bringing Jones' felony hit-and-run case to a grand jury, but is still awaiting key evidence before making it official, according to DA spokesperson Kayla Anderson.

"We have requested the outstanding evidence and our office anticipates moving forward when we have a completed case," Anderson said.

The 60-day window the state has to bring Jones' case to a grand jury expires Monday. But Anderson said the state is not technically required to file any new documents with the court yet, especially since Jones is out of custody.

Anderson said the state is still waiting for medical reports from the alleged victim and computer-aided dispatch (CAD) reports from the Albuquerque Police Department. The state has to provide all discovery to the defense at or before arraignment, per the new case management order in Bernalillo County, according to Anderson.

"Proceeding with the case without discovery could lead to the dismissal of the case altogether," she said.

The grand jury would decide whether or not to indict Jones and bring his case to a criminal trial. Jones would only give a plea if he is indicted.

Jones, 27, was arrested April 27 on a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident with death or personal injury. The former UFC light heavyweight champion allegedly ran a red light in a rented SUV and struck another car driven by a pregnant woman in Albuquerque on April 26. Jones then allegedly fled the scene, but not before going back and grabbing a fistful of cash, according to witness accounts. The woman, Vanessa Sonnenberg, sustained a fractured arm in the crash.

LINK to full story: District attorney plans on bringing Jon Jones case to grand jury - MMA Fighting

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
what is a grand jury for us non usa residents?

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
A group of people that will determine if there is enough evidence to take the case to trial.
I pretty much think its going to go before the Gj and it will end up as a criminal trial, he will be found guilty but at a reduced sentence. I would expect a return in late 2016.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I would probably do him some good if he did 6 months time...but I just can't see it happening. He'll likely pay a hefty fine, get probation, and face a Civil suit by the lady he hit.

MoomBah

Posting Machine
Feb 16, 2015
Runnin from the po po was the best decision hes ever made if he gets off soft.