General DIY Attic Insulation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Years ago my parents hired a contractor friend to floor their attic for extra storage space. For some reason the guy wasn't considering the insulation and pushed aside three to four feet of fiberglass loose-fill to do the job. No insulation was laid between the celing drywall and plywood, so now the Florida summers consume the entire house to the point the AC can't keep up.

Red lines = space floored

While I'm sure there are ways to make their storage idea work (insulate rafters, install vent fan), I've decided to scrap the flooring altogether since they never even bothered to use the space. My original plan included pulling up the plywood and blasting the entire attic with a fresh layer of loose-fill, but now I'm wondering if I can get away with dumping the insulation overtop the plywood without removing it.

Any tips from the builders here?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Years ago my parents hired a contractor friend to floor their attic for extra storage space. For some reason the guy wasn't considering the insulation and pushed aside three to four feet of fiberglass loose-fill to do the job. No insulation was laid between the celing drywall and plywood, so now the Florida summers consume the entire house to the point the AC can't keep up.

While I'm sure there are ways to make their storage idea work (insulate rafters, install vent fan), I've decided to scrap the flooring altogether since they never even bothered to use the space. My original plan included pulling up the plywood and blasting the entire attic with a fresh layer of loose-fill, but now I'm wondering if I can get away with dumping the insulation overtop the plywood without removing it.

You'll have an air gap if you just dump in on the floor boards.
I'm not a builder and don't know if it matters, but figured it'd be worth mentioning.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You'll have an air gap if you just dump in on the floor boards.
I'm not a builder and don't know if it matters, but figured it'd be worth mentioning.
Right. That's why I originally planned to pull up the floor first. Wouldn't mind skipping that step tbh.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Right. That's why I originally planned to pull up the floor first. Wouldn't mind skipping that step tbh.
You can blow in cellulose under the floorboards by removing some boards or cutting access points.
One concern is. How deep are your floor joists? Some old houses don't have very deep joists and if you blow in the insulation with those boards you are limiting the depth of insulation you can put. Then you might not get the R value expected or desired. So you might have to blow insulation on top of the floorboards themselves but you said they're not being used anyway. You don't want the air gaps

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Pull up the boards and insulate properly. That open space will be a cold void and create moisture problems and potentially mold. Especially if you ever get below freezing temperatures.

Alternatively you can drill spaced holes every so often to allow for spray foam which has the best r value and moisture protection

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Alternatively you can drill spaced holes every so often to allow for spray foam which has the best r value and moisture protection
So just cans of spray foam?
So is there a downside to that?
Seems a drill and spray foam cans is the OPs easiest one man project in that case

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Seems a drill and spray foam cans is the OPs easiest one man project in that case
I wouldn't buy the small cans. You'd go broke quick I'm fairly sure you can rent the big cannisters.
Personally I would just pull the boards up and put batts of insulatin down. He's in florida so I'm sure he doesnt need too much r value. R 20 would probably suffice.

Problem with drilling holes for spray foam is you wouldn't guarantee full coverage.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I tried to have new insulation put in my attic a few months ago. When they showed up to spray it, they found mould, and told me I have to have all the old stuff removed and de-mold the walls before they could put new stuff in. Problem is they wanted 4 grand to do it. I bought all the anti-mold spray and a sprayer, I’m just procrastinating going up there and trying to remove all the old insulation by hand. It’s going to be a mother fucker of a job.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I tried to have new insulation put in my attic a few months ago. When they showed up to spray it, they found mould, and told me I have to have all the old stuff removed and de-mold the walls before they could put new stuff in. Problem is they wanted 4 grand to do it. I bought all the anti-mold spray and a sprayer, I’m just procrastinating going up there and trying to remove all the old insulation by hand. It’s going to be a mother fucker of a job.
Is it blown in insulation? Rent a dust collector and some hose. Blast that shit right into the back of the subaru

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Don't do it. That mold is penicillin and is protecting your family like the fungus in the Mario Bros movie.

M

member 1013

Do you like air pockets?!?!?

M

member 1013

Have you seen @Lars hit a nail with hammer? He probably knows everything about carpentry
While I am nationally licensed in both woodworking professions, I would never make such a claim. Carpentry is one of the oldest crafts we have, you can never learn it all. A true carpenter hesitates to even call himself good. Someone that goes around bragging about how good they are like ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon or Sex Chicken @Sex Chicken probably has a vastly inflated ego.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Fuck pulling that shit up. Just lay the new insulation on top of it if they aren't going to use it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
More expensive.