Lifestyle Do you interrupt people when you speak?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I frequently hear women complain that men constantly interrupt and talk over them, but I've always noticed when men talk with one another they also do this. Being from New York, no one ever waits their turn and it's just a string of fighting your way into almost any conversation. Do you wait your turn before speaking? How does this vary from conversations with your family to work conversations to conversations with friends or acquaintances?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I frequently hear women complain that men constantly interrupt and talk over them, but I've always noticed when men talk with one another they also do this. Being from New York, no one ever waits their turn and it's just a string of fighting your way into almost any conversation. Do you wait your turn before speaking? How does this vary from conversations with your family to work conversations to conversations with friends or acquaintances?
im a new york new jersey cat

so i used to vary between being very good or very interruptive during a conversation

but over the last couple years, a few of my friends invited me on a bunch of podcasts. and i got much better at not interrupting, and listening rather than waiting to speak

M

member 1013

Mostly just to tell people to shut up and Fuck off (I got work to do)

I like to sit there and just listen to people, it seems to unnerve ppl and then I am in control

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I only interrupt when the talker is completely full of shit.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
More than I mean to do so. I check it in work situations but it takes an amount of energy to do so and is slower than my preferred pace of a conversation.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
More than I mean to do so. I check it in work situations but it takes an amount of energy to do so and is slower than my preferred pace of a conversation.
Sometimes patients just wanna talk nonsense about nothing and you have to.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
I catch myself doing it, I used to be a lot worse than I am now. I've become more aware of myself doing so as I have grown older.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Aussies yap, mate. :smile: Especially the women, they get together and squawk like parrots. You want to get a word in, you have to fight for it. :smile:

??
One of my closest friends is from Oz and she interrupts me so much that it's like a grappling match when we talk. Good to know it's not just that she sucks lol.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
How about you gangsterkathryn @gangsterkathryn nuraknu @nuraknu Shinkicker @Shinkicker? Interested in both your sense of being interrupted and your own proclivities.
I saw this thread earlier and was going to come back to it when I had a few moments,

Growing up, I really struggled with keeping myself from interrupting others when they spoke to interject with my own input. It is not that I intended to be rude, it's that I wanted to share how I could relate and show I was actively listening. Since I grew up speaking this way, I continued to do so when I started having more adult-adjacent conversations as an older kid. People told me I was incredibly rude and I should learn better manners. I quickly adjusted to reign myself in outside of my family and close friendships. One of the few times since that I really interrupted someone was in September. I was defending myself after my former boss decided to berate and belittle me after the execution of a project did not go smoothly. He previously stated I did not need to be involved in the project because I had "too much else to do", but when it came time for the execution, suddenly it was entirely on my shoulders and the people that actually worked on it were not the one's responsible - something that was never conveyed to me. When I interrupted his screaming fit, I was told to "shut up". This was the first time in my career that someone other than a customer had spoken to me in such an unprofessional manner, and it was the first time that I had gotten his fucknut wrath, usually reserved for useless employees and his sister. I wound up walking out two weeks later because of that interaction, the tension since, and another incident that was "the last straw." (So glad I stopped working 75 hour, seven day work weeks for that buffoon.)

But, I actually recently learned about cooperative overlapping. Here is a great article about the linguistics behind it. It is heavily prevalent within the Jewish community. It was so enlightening (and comforting) to learn that there is a reason for the way I interact in conversations, rather than just that I am a rude individual. I don't really have to interact with many people outside of my family and the four employees at my new job (two are literally my family and there are only two others, plus I work remotely in a different state), but I do feel more at ease with my conversational habits.

I know I wrote this more professionally than I would normally, but I am practicing for all the papers I have to write this semester because I haven't written any in ages.
But to answer the question, I do interrupt when I am speaking, depending upon the other party/parties in the conversation. I fucking hate, with a passion, though, when my mother interrupts me to interject her stupid fucking suggestions of what I "should" do, especially when if she would let me finish, she would hear I AM ALREADY FUCKING DOING EXACTLY THAT. Sorry, I am really annoyed with her so I am being a cunt.