Lifestyle Do you interrupt people when you speak?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Adversely if I have an apprentice it's fun. I ask them what we are doing and leave them to talk. Then I ask them why then leave them to talk. It's fun to hear the changes in the tone of voice and facial expressions as they question themselves while responding,

Tbh it must be fun for them too if I get something go wrong I can't figure out and my famous charming language makes an appearance.

I had one one time where he just sat on his ass and kept sending my mate Snapchat of me being furious. I didn't know he was doing it I was in the zone.i fixed it in the end but taught him fuck all because I was raging

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Thank you! I already had a mild panic because I had to write a 300-word learning reflection about reading strategies for English Comp and I could not for the life of me cut it down from the 450 words I landed on. I wound up with 370 words by cutting out some parts that I deemed were mildly redundant and reworded so much. Definitely thought I was going to get points deducted for being "too wordy" but he said I did excellently and brought up really great points. I have been kicked for being too wordy before, so I am glad he isn't one of those professors. He seems pretty cool.

I was doing 12 hours a day Mon-Sat and then working from home a few hours on Sunday. It was initially Mon-Sat 8-530, then it became 8-6. I leave myself plenty of time to make it to work because traffic and accidents happen often, so I was regularly 30ish mins early. I would use that time to get stuff done before the phone started ringing for ten hours straight, so I often wound up working 730-730. I had so many different tasks that were difficult to do in the three minutes I had between customer calls, and often I was unable to delegate to my team as two were in the Philippines, one worked four hours, three days a week (if she even showed), and the other was stuck being my boss' bitch (until he fired her for... standing up for herself, granted she was kind of a lazy cunt anyway). When I did delegate, I often had to make significant corrections to the information. I was doing the job of at least two people, for hardly the pay of one. I wound up sticking them with a huge clusterfuck that could have easily been solved if my boss put his stupid ego aside, but he made it clear he refused to make the call. I think he wanted me to make it and fuck it up so he could feel justified in firing me.

I am now working ~30-35 hours a week, roughly. I make a little less, but I can breathe, focus on school, and actually have time to spend with my son outside of bedtime; plus, the hours are flexible and there is so much professional development. I know that once I can handle more complex tasks that don't require a licensed environmental professional or geologist to complete, I will be able to make more money.

Plus, when I go on vacation, I can mooch so much free food from my boss... like I always do.
Jesus Christ.

We're not ants. We don't exist to work for the colony. That's terrible that this type of workplace environment is apparently somewhat normalised.

How common is a six day week as a routine, expected occurrence?

I mean, technically I'm working a six day week right now. But I'm working:

Mon, Tues: 8 - 4:45 (most weeks work eight hours including lunch, not 8.75)

Wed - Day off

Thurs: 8 - 4:45

Fri: 8 - 4

Sat: 8 - 12

Sun: Day off.

So that's my worst roster week. I work half a Saturday, 45 minutes extra three other days, and have a random day off during the week. So 2.5 days off, almost. 38.25 hour week, up from the regular 37.5. Overtime is always available, but never forced or even pressured.

??

Last edited:
M

member 1013

Jesus Christ.

We're not ants. We don't exist to work for the colony. That's terrible that this type of workplace environment is apparently somewhat normalised.

How common is a six day week as a routine, expected occurrence?

I mean, technically I'm working a six day week right now. But I'm working:

Mon, Tues: 8 - 4:45 (usually work eight hours including lunch, not 8.75)

Wed - Day off

Thurs: 8 - 4:45

Fri: 8 - 4

Sat: 8 - 12

Sun: Day off.

So that's my worst roster week. I work half a Saturday, 45 minutes extra two other days, and have a random day off during the week. So 2.5 days off, almost. 38.25 hours. Overtime is always available, but never forced or even pressured.

??
I would work you into a living death

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
I would work you into a living death
I can and have worked long hours, if it's an important job that needs long hours. But that's a disaster scenario. I have no wish at all to work too much. In fact, I'm trying to figure out a way to put myself into a situation where I can work a 4 day week, every week, while still covering bills, hobbies, savings and holidays. For exactly the reason that I've had jobs I liked that were satisfying - but never as satisfying as working on my own projects during my time off.

I don't want the stress and pressure of running my own company, and I am not at all interested in working over 45 hour weeks and making sacrifices in everything in my life outside of work, just to help make some rich asshole I'll never meet and who gives zero fucks about me, get even richer. I understand that some people are situated differently, and that their boss is their close friend or whatever. For me, it's not like that. ?

??