Lifestyle Do you like pot roast? I do...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015

Should have reduced the gravy a bit more, but I was hungry. Maybe should have added some blistered tomatoes too. But, it is what it is.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I tried this once following an obviously shit set of instructions. All the flavour seeped out of the meat.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Pot roasts are kind of a general term for any chunk of beef that benefits from long slow cooking time. I think this was a chuck roast, but it's container is already gone. Brown the meat on all sides. Then let it simmer low and slow in braising liquid. (Beef stock, red wine, butter and some water in this case.) After 6-8 hours, when the meat is falling apart.

Potatoes are the easy sauce. Boil the shit out of them for 20 minutes in chicken stock, beer, wine, water, or any combination there of, and you are good to go. For mashed potatoes, I prefer Yukon Golds, but used a mixed of brown and red russets for this. (People will argue that is actually the better way to go, I prefer Yukons. I think that their lightness and creaminess can't be surpassed. But again, others - with more knowledge than me - will say otherwise)

This is the best thing ever.

I'm told it can do more than make awesome mashed potatoes. I don't use it for anything other though. The instruction book says to use the large grate for mashed potatoes. I call bullshit. BULLSHIT! I use the smallest grate possible.

The gravy itself is nothing more than the sauce I cook the roast in. If I wanted to get all super cheffy about it, I would ass additional seasoning and some thickening agent - flour, corn starch - something like that. Like I said, I was hungry, and just wanted some good food after really not eating much other than vodka and xanax for the last few days. If you have any further questions, I'll address them as they come, but that is about as concise a response as I am willing or able to give right now. I'll check back after the latest Masterchef.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
My mom makes the best pot roast. Lots of garlic and onions. She cooks the meat, then refrigerates it overnight. Then she trims/ skims some fat and slices it while it's cold. Then heats it all up again.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
I tried this once following an obviously shit set of instructions. All the flavour seeped out of the meat.
Not using enough cooking liquid. (Always brown the meat before hand BTW) Then any flavor that is coming out of the meat, should flavor the sauce. Also, this isn't a 2 hour thing. You let the meat cook down for 6-8 hours. That's where your sauce will get flavor, and the meat will be so tender you can cut it with a spork. You literally can't overcook a roast. But you sure as hell can rush one and get a piece of leather. Just let it cook, let all the collagen dissolve. If you want it for dinner, don't wait until 3 pm to start cooking it, just throw it over low and slow heat at 9am. Slow low heat will do what it does, and with cuts like this, that's what needs to happen to have tender fall apart meat. Alton Brown says it on Good Eats all the time, and it's totally true: "Your patience will be rewarded."

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
My mom makes the best pot roast. Lots of garlic and onions. She cooks the meat, then refrigerates it overnight. Then she trims/ skims some fat and slices it while it's cold. Then heats it all up again.
And don't let that fat go to waste!!! Toss it in a jar, and the next time you want to make some crispy fried potatoes, use some of that instead of butter or margerine. You won't be disappointed.

M

member 1013

Love them. I use my crock pot at least three times a week and usually make a pot roast

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I like to inject the roast with beef broth and seasoning then let it sit and marinate overnight. Really breaks up the toughness in rump and shoulder roasts. Then i use a packet or two of onion soup to flavor while slow cooking. Cant get much better than KC Masterpiece hot and spicy bbq sauce to dip in in.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Pot roasts are kind of a general term for any chunk of beef that benefits from long slow cooking time. I think this was a chuck roast, but it's container is already gone. Brown the meat on all sides. Then let it simmer low and slow in braising liquid. (Beef stock, red wine, butter and some water in this case.) After 6-8 hours, when the meat is falling apart.

Potatoes are the easy sauce. Boil the shit out of them for 20 minutes in chicken stock, beer, wine, water, or any combination there of, and you are good to go. For mashed potatoes, I prefer Yukon Golds, but used a mixed of brown and red russets for this. (People will argue that is actually the better way to go, I prefer Yukons. I think that their lightness and creaminess can't be surpassed. But again, others - with more knowledge than me - will say otherwise)

This is the best thing ever.

I'm told it can do more than make awesome mashed potatoes. I don't use it for anything other though. The instruction book says to use the large grate for mashed potatoes. I call bullshit. BULLSHIT! I use the smallest grate possible.

The gravy itself is nothing more than the sauce I cook the roast in. If I wanted to get all super cheffy about it, I would ass additional seasoning and some thickening agent - flour, corn starch - something like that. Like I said, I was hungry, and just wanted some good food after really not eating much other than vodka and xanax for the last few days. If you have any further questions, I'll address them as they come, but that is about as concise a response as I am willing or able to give right now. I'll check back after the latest Masterchef.
Next time quote me or tag me in your replies or ill have a chat to Chicago PD about that assault you committed over a coffee maker

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Why you so damn hard on yourself?
It's called honesty. Aside from enjoying cooking, not being cruel to animals, having the ability to express myself in written and/or spoken word and being ferociously loyal to the few people that I consider friends, I really am quite an asshole. And I don't care. I believe it was Barry Bonds who said "You have to have some serious talent to have 60,000 people screaming 'you suck'". I've always been OK with that. I always root for the anti-hero. Always have. I have more pending Facebook friend requests than I have Facebook friends. And that makes me smile. Just because I had a drink with you one night, doesn't mean I give a shit what you think or what you do everyday. Now this may not answer your question, but I think it gives you a bit of insight into my personality type.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
It's called honesty. Aside from enjoying cooking, not being cruel to animals, having the ability to express myself in written and/or spoken word and being ferociously loyal to the few people that I consider friends, I really am quite an asshole. And I don't care. I believe it was Barry Bonds who said "You have to have some serious talent to have 60,000 people screaming 'you suck'". I've always been OK with that. I always root for the anti-hero. Always have. I have more pending Facebook friend requests than I have Facebook friends. And that makes me smile. Just because I had a drink with you one night, doesn't mean I give a shit what you think or what you do everyday. Now this may not answer your question, but I think it gives you a bit of insight into my personality type.
Serial killer

M

member 1013

Who hurt u