Do you think Gus is really retired?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Do you think Gus will stayed retired?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think he means it. He's basically the perennial #3 or 4 in a division with a champ he can't beat and several others he's now struggling with. He's the same size as Jones, but no one is interested in seeing him at Heavyweight and he can't make middleweight so he doesn't have much of an opportunity for reinvention. He's always been a stubborn striker so I doubt he could transition to a different kind of game. His best hope is to move onto something else unless he can get out and go to Bellator where he fights once or twice a year.

I believe if he comes back, it won't be because he wants to. Honestly, I wish everyone could get out of this sport in their early 30s and go on to do something that doesn't risk their health.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
My post is going to suck because I don’t know either way. If we are to believe what he says in that he doesn’t fight for a paycheck but rather to be champion and knows that will never happen well . . . He doesn’t fight again.

Do we/he really believe that? So many of these guys end up missing the walk through the crowd and lights. Will that be him too? He gave us the greatest Jones fight. To me that will be his legacy.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I think so.... He's been talking about it for about 3 years or so, since the Johnson fight.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I think he will retire. Sucks because i really enjoy his fights. He hasn’t been active and has made some comments about quitting before, iirc. I think he has plenty of fights in him if he chooses. I didn’t watch this one, but from what i read he seemed to be winning until he took it to the ground. Just a bad idea. Shit happens. His overall record is still really good. He beat Jon Jones, list to Rumble by Headbutt, and lost to a Juiced Jones. His only legit loss that i remember is DC. No harm in that.

M

member 603

I think so.... He's been talking about it for about 3 years or so, since the Johnson fight.
This is it, he contemplated walking away a few years back... It was his wording about not having the desire that sticks with me, I've seen guys that although have a great skill set, aren't hungry for it anymore. That coupled with the fact that he lost his title bid to Jones, and to Smith... He doesn't want to be hanging around as that #4 ranked gatekeeper, so good on him for making that choice.

I actually hope that other guys do the same with their careers... Robbie Lawler has spoken like this, I can see him wrapping up his career soon, Nick Diaz said that he doesn't want to fight and has stuck with it, I'm digging guys going into fights saying that it's their last.

Established/Older Fighters now are in one of two categories... Still possess the skill set, but lack the fire/desire to compete, or have that fire/desire, but the skill set has left them (cue Sounds of Silence and a picture of BJ Penn)

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
My stream was going in and out but from what I saw I had him down the first 2 rounds. I may have missed when he had good moments but he seemed to be on the back pedal. Tiiimmmaaayyy @Tiiimmmaaayyy Forgot to quote your post.

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
He doesn't seem to have the hunger anymore. Could be partly because he's not getting a third shot against Jones anytime soon even if he had won on Saturday

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
well with gus retired there isnt much point in the ufc coming back to sweden. the building had a lot of empty seats . without a major star sweden has just became a place to hold a european fight pass event every couple years

Muridae83

Posting Machine
Nov 3, 2016
well with gus retired there isnt much point in the ufc coming back to sweden. the building had a lot of empty seats . without a major star sweden has just became a place to hold a european fight pass event every couple years
Well that had alot to do with the Champions League Final in Soccer and the Stockholm Marathon i guess.... what u saw in Stockholm was the really hardcore fans of MMA in Sweden. Thats like putting a average fight night card in some small city in US during Super Bowl.... would you really expect it to be crowded?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
It seems like he has some sort of celebrity status in Sweden. If he's big enough of a name and can use that to transition into doing something else then there's no need for him to come back to the Octagon.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
He is definitely retired...

Until his next fight.

How many times have we seen this and what percentage of these fighters actually stay retired...

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He has a very interesting legacy. He never reached the top, made some dumb decisions and has some blemishes.

He's also the only guy to take probably the 2 MMA GOATs to disputed (not by me) decisions. Nobody in history has been able to go toe to toe with Cormier other than Jones, and nobody in history has been able to go toe to toe with Jones period.

I mean that's a serious accomplishment that obviously literally nobody else in the sport can claim.

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
I was wondering before the fight who would be the next Swedish draw after Gus retires and I have no idea. Could Latifi sell out a venue like the Globe?

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
He has a very interesting legacy. He never reached the top, made some dumb decisions and has some blemishes.

He's also the only guy to take probably the 2 MMA GOATs to disputed (not by me) decisions. Nobody in history has been able to go toe to toe with Cormier other than Jones, and nobody in history has been able to go toe to toe with Jones period.

I mean that's a serious accomplishment that obviously literally nobody else in the sport can claim.
It's really a weird one. His best performances were losses and now that he's retired we can just wonder what if he'd been able to get to that final gear against Jones in 2013. Or won that split decision against DC. He has a very interesting legacy to say the least. Never got the belt but he absolutely made a huge impact on MMA in the Nordic countries

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I was wondering before the fight who would be the next Swedish draw after Gus retires and I have no idea. Could Latifi sell out a venue like the Globe?
`if it goes down anywhere near how it went down for canada after GSP retired then they will be lucky to have another event at the globe. the next one might be in a smaller city at a curling rink and the main event will be 2 guys you have never heard of

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's really a weird one. His best performances were losses and now that he's retired we can just wonder what if he'd been able to get to that final gear against Jones in 2013. Or won that split decision against DC. He has a very interesting legacy to say the least. Never got the belt but he absolutely made a huge impact on MMA in the Nordic countries
yep
his fight with DC was close...Gus almost stopped DC and was kicking DC's ass in some parts of that fight
I had him edging Jones out

Dude is an amazing fighter

His Wife is so damn hot I think it is hard to focus on fighting...plus he had a kid and might want to have more...Dude is winning

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
`if it goes down anywhere near how it went down for canada after GSP retired then they will be lucky to have another event at the globe. the next one might be in a smaller city at a curling rink and the main event will be 2 guys you have never heard of
Could very well be. But Stockholm is very accessible from other Nordic countries so people would be travelling outside of Sweden to the event so ticket sales wouldn't depend too much on Swedes. Will be interesting to see how the Copenhagen event does later this year