Doctor says he received online threats after UFC 244 stoppage

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The ending of UFC 244’s headliner fight between Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz did not sit well for many fans. After three full rounds of action, New York neurologist Dr. Nitin K. Sethi decided to stop the fight, giving “Gamebred” the TKO win.

The reason for the stoppage was the cuts Diaz had on the right side of his face. In a recent interview with MMA Fighting, Dr. Sethi revealed to have been bombarded by online threats from irate and dissatisfied fans.

“I’m a very good neurologist and a very good doctor, and calling me f—ing scum online and calling my office staff and yelling at them,…

Doctor fears for safety after receiving online threats for controversial UFC 244 stoppage

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I dont agree with the stoppage either, but FFS, calling the guys office and making death threats to him and his staff? WTF is wrong with people?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Big n8 fan here, but that was a gash and can't fault the doc for erring on the side of caution.....his job doesn't entail deciding if the fighter is tough enough

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Diaz fans are fucking degenerates. And they don't tip when they order a pizza.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Diaz fans are fucking degenerates. And they don't tip when they order a pizza.
I am surprised they even deliver to those areas in stockton here in long beach there is a lot of zones drivers are not allowed to deliver to. private third party companies have to deliver there like uber eats.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I live by Chicago and delivered to a guy with the fights on the tv(diaz was returning from a long layoff, the Pettis fight I think) dude answers the door wearing a diaz tshirt and straight no tipped me

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Big n8 fan here, but that was a gash and can't fault the doc for erring on the side of caution.....his job doesn't entail deciding if the fighter is tough enough

The doctor was quoted as saying he took multiple things into account in his decision making, and how the fight was going was one of them.

To me that seems like the doctor totally used his fight opinion of "how the fight was going" to make his opinion and he must have thought there was no way Nate could turn it around, hence the stoppage. I don't agree with that.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The doctor was quoted as saying he took multiple things into account in his decision making, and how the fight was going was one of them.

To me that seems like the doctor totally used his fight opinion of "how the fight was going" to make his opinion and he must have thought there was no way Nate could turn it around, hence the stoppage. I don't agree with that.
The doctor violated his oath

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015

How the fight was going and the cause of the cut are important factors.

He didn't decide Diaz was going to lose, he decided the cut was very likely to be opened further and major damage would be done if he continued fighting.

There is no way to judge that other than the 3 rounds previous.

Last edited:

Keung

Banned
Jun 28, 2017
I live by Chicago and delivered to a guy with the fights on the tv(diaz was returning from a long layoff, the Pettis fight I think) dude answers the door wearing a diaz tshirt and straight no tipped me
Can I get a source on this ? Or we can just post anything now as fact ?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
How the fight was going and the cause of the cut are important factors.

He didn't decide Diaz was going to lose, he decided the cut was very likely to be opened further and major damage would be done if he continued fighting.

There is no way to judge that other than the 3 rounds previous.
I hate the subjectivity of fight outcomes.

I absolutely hate decisions and cut stoppages are almost just as bad.

I'm not questioning the importance of a doctor. I'm simply pointing out there was some level of "chance" that Nate wouldn't have had the cut get worse and some level of chance that Nate could have mounted a comeback.

When a fighter makes another fighter tap, that removes all doubt. When a fighter knocks the other one unconscious, that removes all doubt.

If a doctor assumes a cut could get worse and stops the fight, the fight ends on some level of assumption. I don't like that.

Even if they change the rules to, "is the cut bad enough right now he can't fight", that still is subjective.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
I hate the subjectivity of fight outcomes.

I absolutely hate decisions and cut stoppages are almost just as bad.

I'm not questioning the importance of a doctor. I'm simply pointing out there was some level of "chance" that Nate wouldn't have had the cut get worse and some level of chance that Nate could have mounted a comeback.

When a fighter makes another fighter tap, that removes all doubt. When a fighter knocks the other one unconscious, that removes all doubt.

If a doctor assumes a cut could get worse and stops the fight, the fight ends on some level of assumption. I don't like that.

Even if they change the rules to, "is the cut bad enough right now he can't fight", that still is subjective.

I agree, decisions annoy me, unless its a one sided beating or there is a clear winner in general, all fights that go to a decision should be draws.

Pride had the best take on a decision, weighting the scores towards closest to get the finish and who ever finished the fight in the ascendency.

Medicine is largely opinion based man, unfortunately its always going to be that way ,

MMA is also corruptable as fuck, which is why most pro gamblers stay away from combat sports.

Last edited: