General Dodged death last night

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Driving through North Texas and I see a guy driving the wrong way on the the highway. I'm in the right lane he's coming the wrong way in the left. I tell my wife, "holy shit look at this guy!!!"
I moved on to the shoulder slowing some but still driving around 50mph. I slowed but was still trying to gauge where he was going in case he realized his mistake and swerved into us. I couldn't leave the road as the sides are grass hills and I was going way too fast for that.

All this occured in about 3-4 seconds.

Another car was driving the in the left lane. Because I had slowed to get ready to evade the wrong way guy this left lane car goes flying past and runs HEAD ON into the wrong way truck. Holy shit!!
Car goes flying across the highway right at us and I speed up but it was so fast it didn't matter. Car pinballs off the left rear quarter panel of our car. Luckily we were in my wife's SUV and it missed hitting us on the front quarter panel or something that could have knocked us off the road.

Snapped these photos for insurance reasons but we spent most of the time rendering aid to the people in the other wrecks. White car people seem to do okay. Driver was pinned and had to get jaws of life. Guy on the ground was removed by other people before I got there. Heads up people, don't move somebody who's breathing and talking if the car is not on fire or in a dangerous position!
Police told us the guy in the truck ended up passing away. Poor guy has a handicap placard and probably just made an innocent mistake after going to a nearby Christmas light exhibit.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
happens a lot here in AZ.

Last year I was working with L3 on a 'off-ramp' camera system. Most of the wrong-way drivers are drunks who miss the on-ramp make a right turn on to the off-ramp.

Glad you're OK. Go home and hug your gimp.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Jeez, I came in here to bust your balls but I'll just say I'm glad you and the wife are ok.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks y'all.
We are headed to the graduation of a high school friend. He's graduating after 18 years of part-time on and off college. Got in the wreck and had to trade the car out because the tire was damaged on the sidewall. Took my car and finished the trip at like 1:00 a.m. ridiculous. Just glad to be in one piece.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks y'all.
We are headed to the graduation of a high school friend. He's graduating after 18 years of part-time on and off college. Got in the wreck and had to trade the car out because the tire was damaged on the sidewall. Took my car and finished the trip at like 1:00 a.m. ridiculous. Just glad to be in one piece.
Did you feel obligated to give first aid or wait for the professionals?

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Driving through North Texas and I see a guy driving the wrong way on the the highway. I'm in the right lane he's coming the wrong way in the left. I tell my wife, "holy shit look at this guy!!!"
I moved on to the shoulder slowing some but still driving around 50mph. I slowed but was still trying to gauge where he was going in case he realized his mistake and swerved into us. I couldn't leave the road as the sides are grass hills and I was going way too fast for that.

All this occured in about 3-4 seconds.

Another car was driving the in the left lane. Because I had slowed to get ready to evade the wrong way guy this left lane car goes flying past and runs HEAD ON into the wrong way truck. Holy shit!!
Car goes flying across the highway right at us and I speed up but it was so fast it didn't matter. Car pinballs off the left rear quarter panel of our car. Luckily we were in my wife's SUV and it missed hitting us on the front quarter panel or something that could have knocked us off the road.

Snapped these photos for insurance reasons but we spent most of the time rendering aid to the people in the other wrecks. White car people seem to do okay. Driver was pinned and had to get jaws of life. Guy on the ground was removed by other people before I got there. Heads up people, don't move somebody who's breathing and talking if the car is not on fire or in a dangerous position!
Police told us the guy in the truck ended up passing away. Poor guy has a handicap placard and probably just made an innocent mistake after going to a nearby Christmas light exhibit.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok. Stay safe.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Jesus!

That's the best early Christmas gift you will ever receive!

There is a syndrome over, not sure thats the right word, but there is a thing over here that people commit suicide by choosing this method. It's pretty much instantaneous death if your not wearing a seatbelt. Sucks to the truck driver though.

Glad you ok mate.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Did you feel obligated to give first aid or wait for the professionals?
I immediately rendered aide. No obligation. No thought. Got wife safe and kept her with our car that was 100ft away so I knew she was safe and no other cars smashed us after stopping. You give help then. Just what to do. Like if you know a job skill it's easy to give that skill.

An off duty fireman beat me to the truck driver and in that scenario I actually deferred to him as the subject matter expert. Said as much after identifying myself and he his background.

I was just looking to get people safe and start CPR if needed. Docs are not that useful outside hospital without all the tools. Paramedic much better trained to secure a wreck.

No one needed CPR. We did find a bunch of blankets to get the guy on the ground warm and keep the lady driver talking to assess her until fireman arrived and cut her out. Jaws of life are amazing. Just cut the whole roof off in a minute.

Edit- I really expected to come up to the white car and see dead bodies. Modern cars are amazing. It's a little strange the truck guy died but the handicap placard says he already had health problem or was older with less reserve to take such a trauma.

M

member 1013

Glad you’re alright, glad you and a fireman were there to render aid. It’s crazy intense to see a collision like that, I’m sure you were prepared as both a doctor and Vet. How’s the wife?

and you are right about about the engineering on modern vehicles. Simply incredible.I know of many people who owe said engineers their life.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also Splinty @Splinty you totes could have pulled over and driven on that grass in an SUV. Ok?!?!?

sorry
Lol.
Making that decision in seconds at highway speed in the dark was not an option. If we had been slowed down to 30 or so I would have done it. but to worry about catching a wheel and rolling the car. We've had some guys in the military flip humvees that way and die. Going too fast tire catches the grass or gravel on the side of the road and pulls the car off and rolls.

M

member 1013

Lol.
Making that decision in seconds at highway speed in the dark was not an option. If we had been slowed down to 30 or so I would have done it. but to worry about catching a wheel and rolling the car. We've had some guys in the military flip humvees that way and die. Going too fast tire catches the grass or gravel on the side of the road and pulls the car off and rolls.
Check your PMs