Does the UFC featherweight division still exist?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
People claim it does, but I see no current evidence of this. If it does still exist, somebody might need to tell the 145 fighters (assuming this is what they still are) that they can still fight there.

After Volk finishes up his stint on reality TV, the only thing he will have achieved as champion in 2 years is getting his ass kicked by the guy he won the belt off.

But he isn't the only top 6 145er to say 'fighting isn't for me'. Yair Rodriguez and Brian Ortega have each only fought a single opponent since 2018 and Zabit hasn't been seen since 2019 either. Zombie took 4 years off the sport once too.

It seems ol' Max is the only 'contender' in the division who is silly enough to think that this is still a fight promotion. Maybe he has had another rough weight cut and somebody needs to politely inform him that the FW division is a figment of his imagination.

M

member 3289

I think they're gonna restart everything when Max is done skateboarding in Abu Dhabi.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
You have a point and TUF is a load of shit for featherweight right nowa lot of top fighters in the division have been sidelined for good reasons all the same.

Ortega injured his knee before he was due to come back after Holloway battered him, why he wasn’t as active since.

Yair pissed hot and if I remember correctly , he had an injury as well prior to that.

Zabit is in the same boat, had a couple of cancelled fights due to injuries.

M

member 3289

After Volk finishes up his stint on reality TV, the only thing he will have achieved as champion in 2 years is getting his ass kicked by the guy he won the belt off.
Yeah I thought Max won that second fight. It was close, but I thought it was a clear 3-2 for Max.

The TUF thing makes zero sense. The bout between Volk and Ortega was only recently canceled and it's not like Volk is gonna need months to recover from covid unless he goes full Khamzat and doesn't even try to rest/recover.

But what do you do with Max in that time? It's obvious he's going to beat anyone he's matched up against, but will the other top 5 guys even want to fight him?

It's a strange predicament that the UFC only made worse with this TUF nonsense.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
People claim it does, but I see no current evidence of this. If it does still exist, somebody might need to tell the 145 fighters (assuming this is what they still are) that they can still fight there.

But he isn't the only top 6 145er to say 'fighting isn't for me'. Yair Rodriguez and Brian Ortega have each only fought a single opponent since 2018 and Zabit hasn't been seen since 2019 either. Zombie took 4 years off the sport once too.

It seems ol' Max is the only 'contender' in the division who is silly enough to think that this is still a fight promotion. Maybe he has had another rough weight cut and somebody needs to politely inform him that the FW division is a figment of his imagination.
Rematch was a bad decision, max got ripped off

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Yeah I thought Max won that second fight. It was close, but I thought it was a clear 3-2 for Max.

The TUF thing makes zero sense. The bout between Volk and Ortega was only recently canceled and it's not like Volk is gonna need months to recover from covid unless he goes full Khamzat and doesn't even try to rest/recover.

But what do you do with Max in that time? It's obvious he's going to beat anyone he's matched up against, but will the other top 5 guys even want to fight him?

It's a strange predicament that the UFC only made worse with this TUF nonsense.
I think Volk won 3-2 too, but he still got his ass kicked (I chose my words deliberately). 10-9 system at its finest.

Max is another big problem. The rest of these guys are already warming the bench, and now they have to avoid this guy like the plague too.

Volk is right to 'duck' a 3rd Max fight- for now. He beat him easily in the first fight and then rallied from getting beaten down to edge the last 3 rounds. He has won 7/10 rounds in my that he and Max have faced off, some scores even have it 8/10. To paraphrase him 'you can't just keep giving Max rematches until he beats me'.

But Max should be able to earn the right to a 3rd fight by killing off some contenders while Volk fights a couple of others. The problem is, these contenders won't fight each other, they won't fight Max, and Volk has become extremely inactive. So the whole division is going nowhere.

M

member 3289

Rematch was a bad decision, max got ripped off
I thought it was the wrong call but it wasn't the worst decision I've ever seen. Max kinda screwed himself by taking round 5 off.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The problem with tuf is it takes too long. Dana has been doing that contender series and already got the best of the rest. I don't think the quality level will be that great.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
The problem with tuf is it takes too long. Dana has been doing that contender series and already got the best of the rest. I don't think the quality level will be that great.
Should be TUF for a title shot with fighters already on the roster, appease these tournament nerds, don't tie up a belt, and crown a challenger, 3 birds with one stone

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Should be TUF for a title shot with fighters already on the roster, appease these tournament nerds, don't tie up a belt, and crown a challenger, 3 birds with one stone
*Two birds stoned at once