General Does this happen in other states or just around here?

Discussion in 'The Off-topic Lounge' started by silentsinger, Oct 8, 2019.

1. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    PG&E are so dreadful, their website keeps crashing so people can't even check if they're going to be affected.

3. ENOCK

ENOCK Underneath Denver International Airport

Ratings:
    +11,124
    Test run to see how the people will react in the event of a Blackout.

Nationwide blackout for months would cripple society - but it’s going to happen - after mass suffering “they” come back to turn the power on and they will be greeted as saviors to those who survived.

• Like Like x 2
  4. John Cocktoastin

John Cocktoastin No Comment
    First 100

Ratings:
    +37,811
    Carrington Event ^^^

Solar storm of 1859

"On September 1–2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred. Auroras were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountainsin the U.S. were so bright that the glow woke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[7] People in the northeastern United States could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.[13] The aurora was visible from the poles to low latitude areas such as south-central Mexico,[14][15] Queensland, Cuba, Hawaii,[16] southern Japan and China,[17] and even at lower latitudes very close to the equator, such as in Colombia.[18] Estimates of the storm strength range from −800 nT to −1750 nT.[19]

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.[20] Telegraph pylons threw sparks.[21] Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.[22]"

Grid could be fried by another Carrington Event...electrical devices would be useless

#4 John Cocktoastin, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. Vagabond

Vagabond It is what it is, Truth

Ratings:
    +9,350
    thanks for the info. I've been getting some mail about that. I also remember some law-suit PGnE was facing, did you hear anything about that?

• Like Like x 1
  6. DER HÖRNCHENMEISTER

Ratings:
    +1,253
    How have you prepared?

I have to politely say upfront that I personally don't believe in the conspiracy. But a power breakdown could happen in my lifetime due to whatever reason.
    I've gotten a thing that is a flashlight+radio that you can power either by sunlight or manually with some lever that you can turn by hand. here in Germany, the state would broadcast emergency information via radio.
    I've also got candles. and from hiking I've got a water filter and a camping gas cooker.

Realistically, I've been thinking about storing like 20l of water in my basement + some food for myself. and I should buy more propane gas for the cooker. and if there's no breakdown, no problrm, I just consume the stuff before I move.

But, what I've been thinking, and here's where I'm curious about your input also @ENOCK@ENOCK , what about storing stuff for helping people or for trading in case ca a power breakdown?

I think you could make a killing if you can trade lighters, candles, cooking oil, liqueor or Instant Coffee. Or water purifying tablets. Lol or a solar USB charger will probably trade for a Porsche :D
    a paper map of the region that you live in I assume would also be valuable if there's no google maps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. ENOCK

ENOCK Underneath Denver International Airport

Ratings:
    +11,124
    I like this post @DER HÖRNCHENMEISTER@DER HÖRNCHENMEISTER, I’m on way to hike the mountains but when I return tonight I’ll come back here to give a more extensive post on prepping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DER HÖRNCHENMEISTER

Ratings:
    +1,253
    Looking forward fo it !

9. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    Last year the power company got blamed for the fires. They were sued.

"Oh, it's going to be windy? Sorry - We need to shut off the grid."

And all those lines will need to be checked before they power back up after the wind dies down. That's gonna take some time.

Living in a sue-happy nancy state has its drawbacks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. conor mcgregor nut hugger

conor mcgregor nut hugger Hunter Biden is Innocent

Ratings:
    +28,041
    They're gonna have to put all the powerlines underground eventually. It'll cost an arm and a leg but it'll be worth it when you don't have entire towns turning into scorched earth.

Florida Power & Light wants to do the same with the powerlines here, for a different reason (blackouts caused by hurricanes).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    They got sued when some chap died, and I think are still being sued because of the wildfires 2 years back.
    They can’t keep doing it every time it gets a bit windy with low humidity. It’s California, low humidity is one of the reasons I moved here.

There were fights breaking out in the queues for gas in East San Jose last night.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    To guard against liability and the risk of lawsuits, they don't have much of a choice.

If a judge ruled them responsible for the previous fire, that means they have to guard against the same thing happening again.

It should have been labeled as an "act of god", or whatever the law calls it. No different than a tree falling on a wire, which they wouldn't be responsible for (other than responding quickly and fixing). But a judge found them responsible, so now the company has to protect themselves against wires failing because of high winds. The only way to do that is to shut off the power.

nancy state 101

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HEATH VON DOOM

HEATH VON DOOM Remember the 5th of November

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I have liquor and cigarettes stored to trade. Only problem I see with that is finding a place away from your stash to do the trading. Probably the safest thing to do would be disappear as much as possible because people will be desperate

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby I apparently look like a Jewish accountant

Ratings:
    +48,887
    It happens when there is a risk of burning down California due to the last major fire that occurred due to sparks (can’t get all and repair all in time) and dry land

15. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    Something makes me think that the power lines were faulty/too old etc hence being found guilty.
    I actually thought they’d gone under as a result of it...not sure what happened there.

Everywhere I need to be in the next few days is okay but it’s going to be a massive pain in the ass for a lot of people

16. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    Because electric and wind were invented in 2017.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby I apparently look like a Jewish accountant

Ratings:
    +48,887
    They don’t want to get sued again......

18. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    And they won't be.
    Nancy State gonna be in the dark and I don't blame PG&E for a second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    I'd set up wind meters and if a gust got over 50 mph it shuts the local power off for 15 minutes. Like a lightning delay on a golf course, only this would be for a state full of lawyers and pussies.

Gotta keep everyone safe!

;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Cocktoastin

John Cocktoastin No Comment
    First 100

Ratings:
    +37,811
    Generator sales on the rise

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    And bottled water. And flashlights. And batteries. And canned foods. And...

22. conor mcgregor nut hugger

conor mcgregor nut hugger Hunter Biden is Innocent

Ratings:
    +28,041
    I can't stop laughing at the thought of this retard stumbling around when she gets up in the middle of the night to piss lololol

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Hauler

Hauler Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +34,848
    It's going up to 72 today in San Fran.

Half the state will be bitching about not having any heat.
    The other half will bitch about not having any AC.

At least they don't have to worry about straws. They handled that huge problem with a quickness.

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    I stumble around in perfect daylight, thankfully this isn’t going to affect me anyway though

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  25. silentsinger

silentsinger 30/30-150

Ratings:
    +10,378
    Lol, you don’t need air con a 72!

Draft saved Draft deleted