Sports Drew breezes to all-time TD record with record performance on MNF

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
In a Monday Night NFL match-up where most thought New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees would pass Peyton Manning for the all-time record for touchdown passes, most did not see it happening in record fashion.

Drew Brees came out of the gates impressively, with 2 touchdowns in the first half,
and a 3rd called back on
what many thought was a bad call before halftime.

Peyton Manning surpassed the great Brett Favre October 19, 2014 on the all-time TD list completing TD #509 to Demaryius Thomas vs. the San Francisco Fairywhiners.

Favre himself had passed Miami Dolphin great Dan Marino 7 years earlier.

With a great player/cheater like Tom Brady in the league, many thought in 2014 that if anyone were to beat that record in the future, it would be Belichick's right-hand powerhouse, deflated-ball-throwing dynamo.

From Spygate 1, to falsifying player status, and now Spygate 2, Bill Belichick and the controversy surrounding the team is no match for the revenue stream of a dynasty the NFL profits from.

These facts pointed toward a clear-cut advantage for Tom Brady to surpass his old
arch-rival Peyton Manning in the touchdown race.

But despite all that, and only a half season played this year, Drew Brees was victorious. Despite being injured and out half the season, and with the leagues highest paid second-string quarterback, veteran Teddy Bridgewater leading the Saints in his absence, Drew came back and performed like only he can.

Alas, at 41 years old and a good season less than Brady, it was Brees the Saint :innocent:and not Brady:imp:, who surpassed the much more honest :blush:Manning's all-time touchdown record, and much to the delight of the screaming fans and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome under the bright lights of Monday Night Football.

But it's not just that Brees did it, it's how he did it.
Never in history has a stage been so bright during the regular season in the face of such a record.
10 years removed from a game that saw the Saints win their first ever Supebowl shortly after the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina, the Saints marched on against that same team, the Indianapolis Colts, and crushed them monumentally.

Brees was unstoppable, setting an ALL-TIME PASS PERCENTAGE RECORD
going and incredible 29/30 in the game for an astounding 96.7% completion record, beating none other than....................

You guessed it,
Philip Rivers previous record set just last year.
Yes , the man who Brees was traded away for, who'd previously held the best completion percentage record for passes in a game setting TWO records, going 28/29 with 25-straight completions.

Drew completed 22-straight passes, and has a chance Sunday to pass Rivers again for a 3rd NFL record in just 6 days. 4 straight completions on Sunday would complete the hat trick.

Drew Brees paying homage to the fans, acknowledging he could only do it with
them riding alongside, and in a most humble, non-cheating fashion.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I mean, he played outside at Purdue and was setting records there.
You can't compare college stats to NFL.

I just looked up the splits. He was definitely better indoors, but everyone is so that's not surprising.

In 135 dome games he tossed 314 TDs and 41,824 yards. 116 INTs.
In 127 outdoor games he tossed 209 TDs and 31,790 yards. 110 INTs.

Interesting. I still say he's one of the best ever.
HOF first ballot lock.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You can't compare college stats to NFL.

I just looked up the splits. He was definitely better indoors, but everyone is so that's not surprising.

In 135 dome games he tossed 314 TDs and 41,824 yards. 116 INTs.
In 127 outdoor games he tossed 209 TDs and 31,790 yards. 110 INTs.

Interesting. I still say he's one of the best ever.
HOF first ballot lock.
Where did you find this?
In this case It's likely 90% of these dome games are home games, where most are better as well.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I wasn't sure he would ever be the same after the injury he got when he was a charger
his arm/shoulder was all fucked up

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I love all the sports "reference" websites.

They highlight in bold all the categories the individual lead their league in, even in bad categories like interceptions thrown or strike outs.

It can really add context to sports before your time. For example I study sports statistics a lot and you can take away how dominant an athlete was for their time by noting how many times they lead the league in their sport in strong categories.

Jim Brown for example, blew my fucking mind. I just turned 40 last month and one thing I realize, is older people RARELY idolize athletes. They rarely smile when remembering an athlete of many years past. Jim Brown, when people talk about him, their faces light up. They talk about him like he was really something special. Go look up Jim Brown at nfl pro football reference and look at his bold categories. Compare them to ANY running back of any generation.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
none of these guys would be playing at this level or compiling these stats under the old NFL rules regarding hits on QB and Pass Interference

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Jim Brown for example, blew my fucking mind. I just turned 40 last month and one thing I realize, is older people RARELY idolize athletes. They rarely smile when remembering an athlete of many years past. Jim Brown, when people talk about him, their faces light up. They talk about him like he was really something special. Go look up Jim Brown at nfl pro football reference and look at his bold categories. Compare them to ANY running back of any generation.
When I was a youngster, 13 I think, I read his autobiography and was amazed.
Never drank a drop of booze, even champagne after celebrations.
He became a bit of an idol for me.

This was well before the UFC existed or I learned of some of his personal life.

• In 1965, Brown was arrested in his hotel room for assault and battery against an 18-year-old named Brenda Ayres; he was later acquitted of those charges.
  • A year later, he fought paternity allegations that he fathered Brenda Ayres' child.
  • In 1968, Brown was charged with assault with intent to commit murder after model Eva Bohn-Chin was found beneath the balcony of Brown's second-floor apartment.The charges were later dismissed after Bohn-Chin refused to cooperate with the prosecutor's office.
  • Brown was also ordered to pay a $300 fine for striking a deputy sheriff involved in the investigation during the incident. In Brown's autobiography, he stated that Bohn-Chin was angry and jealous over an affair he had been having with Gloria Steinem, and this argument is what led to the "misunderstanding with the police".
  • In 1970, Brown was found not guilty of assault and battery, the charges stemming from a road-rage incident that had occurred in 1969.
  • In 1975, Brown was sentenced to one day in jail and two years' probation and ordered to pay a fine of $500 for beating and choking his golfing partner, Frank Snow.
  • In 1985, Brown was charged with raping a 33-year-old woman.The charges were later dismissed.
  • In 1986, Brown was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend Debra Clark. Clark refused to press charges, though, and Brown was released.
  • In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terrorist threats toward his wife.
  • Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing his wife's car with a shovel.He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine.
  • Brown ignored the terms of his sentence and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail for refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service. He was released after 3 months.

This mf'r knew how to get away w/s***, lollerballz

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
When I was a youngster, 13 I think, I read his autobiography and was amazed.
Never drank a drop of booze, even champagne after celebrations.
He became a bit of an idol for me.

This was well before the UFC existed or I learned of some of his personal life.

• In 1965, Brown was arrested in his hotel room for assault and battery against an 18-year-old named Brenda Ayres; he was later acquitted of those charges.
  • A year later, he fought paternity allegations that he fathered Brenda Ayres' child.
  • In 1968, Brown was charged with assault with intent to commit murder after model Eva Bohn-Chin was found beneath the balcony of Brown's second-floor apartment.The charges were later dismissed after Bohn-Chin refused to cooperate with the prosecutor's office.
  • Brown was also ordered to pay a $300 fine for striking a deputy sheriff involved in the investigation during the incident. In Brown's autobiography, he stated that Bohn-Chin was angry and jealous over an affair he had been having with Gloria Steinem, and this argument is what led to the "misunderstanding with the police".
  • In 1970, Brown was found not guilty of assault and battery, the charges stemming from a road-rage incident that had occurred in 1969.
  • In 1975, Brown was sentenced to one day in jail and two years' probation and ordered to pay a fine of $500 for beating and choking his golfing partner, Frank Snow.
  • In 1985, Brown was charged with raping a 33-year-old woman.The charges were later dismissed.
  • In 1986, Brown was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend Debra Clark. Clark refused to press charges, though, and Brown was released.
  • In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terrorist threats toward his wife.
  • Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing his wife's car with a shovel.He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine.
  • Brown ignored the terms of his sentence and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail for refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service. He was released after 3 months.

This mf'r knew how to get away w/s***, lollerballz
Damn.
Maybe he should have tipped a bottle or two. Sounds like the dude was wound pretty tight.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I love all the sports "reference" websites.

They highlight in bold all the categories the individual lead their league in, even in bad categories like interceptions thrown or strike outs.

It can really add context to sports before your time. For example I study sports statistics a lot and you can take away how dominant an athlete was for their time by noting how many times they lead the league in their sport in strong categories.

look at Jerry Rice and compare him to any football player of any generation.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
look at Jerry Rice and compare him to any football player of any generation.
Most comparable at this point in their career timelines would be Michael Thomas. Rice had half the catches for roughly 1000 yards less and twice the TDs at the end of his fourth season.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Most comparable at this point in their career timelines would be Michael Thomas. Rice had half the catches for roughly 1000 yards less and twice the TDs at the end of his fourth season.
What an anomaly.
Twice the Td's, half the catches, 1000 less yards.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
What an anomaly.
Twice the Td's, half the catches, 1000 less yards.
It’s also a reason I don’t like comparing football players of a similar skill set. You have to begin looking at coaching schemes and how that player was utilized. It creates a long rabbit hole.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
lots of guys, like Randy Moss, have started out on a 'Jerry Rice' pace.

but none of them could keep that pace for 19 years.

and Jerry did it in a league where he was crossing paths with headhunters...stuff that would get guys suspended for the rest of the season in the modern NFL was "good clean football" when Jerry was playing.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
lots of guys, like Randy Moss, have started out on a 'Jerry Rice' pace.

but none of them could keep that pace for 19 years.

and Jerry did it in a league where he was crossing paths with headhunters...stuff that would get guys suspended for the rest of the season in the modern NFL was "good clean football" when Jerry was playing.
that was real football
steve atwater and ronnie lott taking dudes souls when QBs layed them out
Offenses had to establish run to be able to open up the pass, so that play action would work to protect the qb and receiver....now the refs protect both