General Driving across the country again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
In that case, I brought a 10,000lb truck and BJJ purple belt for defense.
There's so many movies (both real and fictional) I saw about people taking road trips across isolated parts of US and never make it back so I have this idea that there's lots of ivan Millet weirdos in those small towns.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We have our family vacation the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of Aug. pulling the travel trailer from Wisconsin to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, with a stop at Devil’s Tower. I’ve never been to any of these places and am stoked!

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
We have our family vacation the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of Aug. pulling the travel trailer from Wisconsin to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, with a stop at Devil’s Tower. I’ve never been to any of these places and am stoked!
All three of those places are amazing. There is a dirt road in Grand Tetons that overlooks the Red River, if you have a vehicle that can handle a somewhat improved gravel road, do it. Spending an hour parked at the edge of a drop-off and eating lunch watching rafters come down the river was very memorable.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
There's so many movies (both real and fictional) I saw about people taking road trips across isolated parts of US and never make it back so I have this idea that there's lots of ivan Millet weirdos in those small towns.
I am in the West in a big truck with South Carolina plates and martial art stickers on the back window. Most folks probably think I am the homicidal maniac.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Drove through Salt Lake City and the Bonneville Salt Flats as we travelled from Rock Springs, WY to Reno today. Beautiful scenery across UT, and the Salt Flats were fascinating. Much larger than I thought they were. Off to California and the Redwoods in the AM.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I love road trips. If I had time I spend an entire year just bouncing around, it's a beautiful country.
If you head near Seattle/Cascades Mt. Baker National Forest I'll most definitely catch up with you.
Maybe mysticmac @mysticmac would be down for a camp out.
Summers here as good as anywhere on earth.
I've spent my life here so I'd be happy to help be as informative as I can on hotspots and area secrets.
I'm down!

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
We had a little drama on the way to WY today. My truck turned past 250,000 miles, and then it celebrated by blowing out a brand new front tire. I announced “let’s let AAA deal with it”, and the universe laughed as there was no cell service. Shortly after I started changing the tire, Trooper CJ Hobbs pulled up and put his lights on to reduce the chances of me suddenly becoming significantly thinner. We made it to Rock Springs without further drama. Hopefully, I can get a new tire at the Walmart here when their tire center opens at 07:00 tomorrow.
That makes 2 flats out of two brand new tires bought at the dealership at the same time. The first went flat this past Monday at my office due to the valve stem being wedged

between the rim and hubcap when they installed the tire, and this one appears to have separated from the rim at the bead, possibly secondary to a damaged sidewall (unclear which came first, but the tire looked fine an hour earlier when we stopped for lunch and there is no apparent cuts/punctures/foreign objects).
On to Reno, NV tomorrow.
I popped a tyre on a drive back from Tuscany to Amsterdam on a Saturday afternoon and didn't have a spare, there were no tyre shops/garages open till the following Monday so I had 2 days extra vacation...which really did not suck.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Cool. Just in time for Solstice. There is a big party / parade going on in Fremont which is the neighborhood I live in. Hit me up if you want to grab a beer!
In the off-chance I'm not being hit with personal drama, I'm totally down for a TMMAC mini-meat-up.
If Juanandonly @Juanandonly isn't working 48 hours straight, I'm sure he'd be down as well.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I skimmed, are you taking I-90 through eastern Washington?
Yes. We are coming up into Washington from Crater Lake, staying at Olympic National Park, Woodinville (basically between Mt. Rainer and North Cascades); and then leaving heading east on 90 on the 19th to get to Glacier in Montana.

Last edited:

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Cool. Just in time for Solstice. There is a big party / parade going on in Fremont which is the neighborhood I live in. Hit me up if you want to grab a beer!
Our schedule on Saturday is fluid- depending on how much of Olympic we see Friday, we will explore the park for some part of the morning and possibly early afternoon, and then head to Woodinville. As it stands now, everybody wants to see Seattle, so we will probably go into the city for dinner (and hopefully find a place to park my truck).

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
We arrived in Orick, CA. The last leg of the drive was up US 101 and there were some great views of the Pacific. We got to Orick just in time to see elk emerging from the woods to graze in the meadows.
Apparently, some people are not smart enough to figure out for themselves that approaching large wild animals with hooves is not wise.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I hate the 101 but it has a poignant thing for me (no need to bore anyone with it).
I’m loving this trip for you. Carry on with the diary pics.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yes. We are coming up into Washington from Crater Lake, staying at Olympic National Park, Woodinville (basically between Mt. Rainer and North Cascades); and then leaving heading east on 90 on the 19th to get to Glacier in Montana.
You're staying in Woodinville?
You've GOT to have family there cause there ain't jack squat worth seeing.

You're not camping in the Cascades?
You'll be missing out, jus sayin'.
When you catch the ferry back over from the Olympic peninsula, pm me and mysticmac @mysticmac and well grab a local beer in Fremont or Pyramid.
Hell you might even want to catch the Mariners/RedSox game seeing as how the Mariners are gonna win the World series this year.

Anywho, here's some of my US101 pics from Mother's day.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Redwoods was really nice, as was the drive from there to Crater Lake. More pictures to come whenever we get somewhere with good enough internet to upload photos.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
You're staying in Woodinville?
You've GOT to have family there cause there ain't jack squat worth seeing.

You're not camping in the Cascades?
You'll be missing out, jus sayin'.
When you catch the ferry back over from the Olympic peninsula, pm me and mysticmac @mysticmac and well grab a local beer in Fremont or Pyramid.
Hell you might even want to catch the Mariners/RedSox game seeing as how the Mariners are gonna win the World series this year.

Anywho, here's some of my US101 pics from Mother's day.

Did you get funny looks wearing that shirt?