General Dry July (drinkers thread)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
It’s that time of year again where I take a month off alcohol.

I’ve done it for the last 3 or 4 years.
This year it’s to stop burn out and let new meds do their thing, so I’ve got a solid reason to see this through.

First week is sugar cravings.
After day 3, my sleep improves so much - this is the bit that makes it all worthwhile.

Is anyone else doing Dry July?

M

member 3289

I drank on Saturday for the first time in about 5 months. I enjoy alcohol but I don't need it

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
If drinking was an Olympic sport, I’d be a dead set silver medalist.

On the upside, I’ll be set up with my still and ready to start to distilling my own rum by the end of the month.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
It’s that time of year again where I take a month off alcohol.

I’ve done it for the last 3 or 4 years.
This year it’s to stop burn out and let new meds do their thing, so I’ve got a solid reason to see this through.

First week is sugar cravings.
After day 3, my sleep improves so much - this is the bit that makes it all worthwhile.

Is anyone else doing Dry July?
Good luck bro. Maybe drink a little less generally so you sleep better.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
When you first go dry, how does it effect you?
I’ve found sugar and sleep are my biggies.
I am not sure about the sugar part, though I do snack more so maybe that is it

I have not paid much attention but I def. sleep better. I am not sure if I dream more or I just remember more of my dreams

my biggest challenge is between 5pm or so and bedtime. I always have a drink in my hand during those hours. almost make one without thinking so I have to be conscious about not doing that

Le Chat Noir

Le Chat Noir ©
Jan 28, 2020
My wife is doing dry July, I'm just cutting back.

I never get drunk, but I stay happy for long stretches.

Le Chat Noir
©

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Good luck! every year, do 1 month more. So this year july and october, next year june july and october etc and every month do 1 week withoit, next month 8 days etc.

I bet though that last year when you drink only for 1 month will be quite the action :D

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Good luck! every year, do 1 month more. So this year july and october, next year june july and october etc and every month do 1 week withoit, next month 8 days etc.

I bet though that last year when you drink only for 1 month will be quite the action :D
Yup it’s a great way to do things.
Ive taken the odd month off here and there previously. Mainly when I was getting too thirsty for my own good.

5 days in, no worries at all, meds seem to be doing their thing, best bit is my sleep quality is amazing!

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Yup it’s a great way to do things.
Ive taken the odd month off here and there previously. Mainly when I was getting too thirsty for my own good.

5 days in, no worries at all, meds seem to be doing their thing, best bit is my sleep quality is amazing!
Dude good luck! I can share where I'm coming from, not to talk about myself but maybe it helps you!

In my last semester of University I started training for a full contact kickboxing competition. Cannot do sparring when you've had some beers the night before. Even hitting a heavybag will rattle your brain from the impact ever so slightly that it's not good. So in like 6 months I only got drunk 3 times. mostly went to all the student-parties without drinking, because the kickboxing was more important to me. Ever since then I can go to parties without drinking, if I have to.

I would never dare to just drink 1 beer alone at home or sth like that (exception: once a year if an upset stomach wants beer or so I would drink it more like a medicine. or on hiking trips also for refueling).
I would always go either 0 or 100% with anything, so I'll never go there with booze. I would be mortally afraid to be in the same room with coke for the same reason.
And I always think: what's the point of drinking just a little bit. makes me slow and still have a hangover next day. Either full power blackout drinking, best with absinth, or just drink a sprite and be polite.

I have found the 100% drinking to be boring, maybe since the early 30s. At least for me, all drinking+partying nights were sort of the same: you wake up horribly hungover, can't remember anything about the night, all the money in the wallet is gone and for days people will tell you where you wipped your dick out.