Lifestyle Due to overwhelming response, I guess I'll tell you my story of being struck by lightning....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
So, it was my sophomore year in HS. I have always been a total storm nerd, I think it harkens back to the time I was 5 or 6 or so, and some of my neighborhood got fucked up by a tornado. As is often the case, there wasn't a real straight line, but rather little touchdowns where people lost their roofs, their pools and what ever else may have been on their lawn. Generally a sign of a weaker tornado (F1 - F2ish), but still enough to fling a shingle through your face type of event.

So, I was walking to the bus stop, I left early because it was pouring rain. Like a downpour, and lightning was flashing almost constantly. I'm wearing jean shorts, and a Celtics shirt, not that that matters, just painting a picture for you at this point. Now keep in mind, its fucking pouring rain. I'm soaked to my underwear by the time I hit the end of the driveway. Bus stop is at the end of my block.

I'm about 3 houses down, walking in the rain, and truthfully I didn't give a shit that I was soaking wet, it was an excellent thunderstorm to start my morning and I was totally content with that being the storm nerd that I was then and am today. Then I feel the weirdness of the hair on my arms standing straight up, even though they are soaking wet and its raining like a wet hell. There is a brief moment where I think 'cool'. Then I remember seeing photos like this:

^What that said. It's totally fucked up to feel the flow of electrons gathering and rising around, and is such an alien feeling that most people wont know what it meant until its too late.

I have an oh so brief moment of realization as to what the hell is going on, I'm talking a fraction of a second, and think "Oh fu...." It's cut short by a blinding flash. Have you ever touched a plug that was half way out of the socket? That numbness inducing tingle that shuts off your arm? It was like that, just worse. Started at my feet and went straight up through my body.

Next thing I know, I'm on my back in the grass. Looking at the sky. Now I will be clear, I don't think it was a direct strike, but rather the lightning hit a tree or a stop sign or something, and the charge just traveled through the wet ground until it met my feet. But I look at my feet, I still got my shoes on. Bonus point right there. I can still move. Bonus point #2. So, I picked myself up, and went to the bus stop, and went to school that day. Christ, if I ever had a legit excuse to say 'Nope', and stay home that was it.

Teen Gohan

TMMAC Top Team
Oct 19, 2015
My dad was struck while working on a ranch when he was young. It hit the fence he was grabbing and jolted him and a dog that was tied to the fence.

He said that dog was friendly before the strike, but afterwards it wouldn't ever come near him again haha.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
My dad was struck while working on a ranch when he was young. It hit the fence he was grabbing and jolted him and a dog that was tied to the fence.

He said that dog was friendly before the strike, but afterwards it wouldn't ever come near him again haha.
I wouldn't be surprised. Rest assured if you think there is no correlation between being struck by lightning and letting a coworker use a shitty flea market taser on me after drinking, you would be mistaken.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Lightning struck something in my house when I was 11. It knocked the phone off my lap and zinged me a lil. A knife flew from sis' hand. I thought she threw it. Nope. We found it and the blade was all funky bent.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It was the early 90's. Jesus I'm surprised I was wearing Z. Cavariccis (tight rolled, of course) and a hyper color shirt, or maybe an IOU.
I don't know wtf you just said but sure

Why not

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
I don't know wtf you just said but sure

Why not
OK. I'll learn you a bit about the days when old people like myself were in HS.

-Z.Cavariccis: Think if khakis had a bastard offspring with parachute pants. They were those.

-Tight rolled: Everyone rolled the bottom of their Zcavs so they were tight around the ankle.

-Hypercolor shirts: Thermo reactive t shirts that changed color the closer they were to your skin. Basically xray vision for any HS kid to check out some girls titties. It was a golden age.

-IOU: Just a popular brand at the time. If you didn't have at least one for each day of the week, you weren't cool. Typically paired with the Zcavs.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
OK. I'll learn you a bit about the days when old people like myself were in HS.

-Z.Cavariccis: Think if khakis had a bastard offspring with parachute pants. They were those.

-Tight rolled: Everyone rolled the bottom of their Zcavs so they were tight around the ankle.

-Hypercolor shirts: Thermo reactive t shirts that changed color the closer they were to your skin. Basically xray vision for any HS kid to check out some girls titties. It was a golden age.

-IOU: Just a popular brand at the time. If you didn't have at least one for each day of the week, you weren't cool. Typically paired with the Zcavs.
I completely forgot about Hypercolor. I had a few of their shirts growing up.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lightning struck something in my house when I was 11. It knocked the phone off my lap and zinged me a lil. A knife flew from sis' hand. I thought she threw it. Nope. We found it and the blade was all funky bent.
Wow!