Dungeons and Dragons originals--thoughts on LEGOs?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Well, this is geek haven, right?

So my friends and I take turns being the DM, but I haven't done it in a long time since I've been overwhelmed with dealing with life stuff (e.g. changing my son's school, big projects at work, etc.). When I'm the DM, I tend to make more concrete puzzles and grids, and everyone seems to think they're fun.

Anyway, my son has been sick with puking, so we have just been in the house the last couple days, and I started watching LEGO Elves on Netflix. It was just a random thing that popped up and seemed like it wouldn't be too bad if he woke up. I am on the third episode, and it's surprisingly enjoyable. I didn't really understand the LEGO tie-in, until I noticed that various objects in the cartoon are actually made of LEGOs. It's very subtle, but it's there, and it's really cool.

It's actually pretty rare that I get to just sit and watch something I want to watch on tv. My husband saw me watching something with elves and said something to the effect of, "Oh, good, you need to watch something new so you can get some fresh inspiration for the campaign and take a turn as DM again." But I am more inspired by the LEGOs.

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that into the storyline for a session or two, or into a puzzle. I could just make a maze with them, and keep part of it in a box and do a slow reveal or something. But I was hoping for something cooler. Idk.

So if anyone has any thoughts, let me know. TIA

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Well, this is geek haven, right?

So my friends and I take turns being the DM, but I haven't done it in a long time since I've been overwhelmed with dealing with life stuff (e.g. changing my son's school, big projects at work, etc.). When I'm the DM, I tend to make more concrete puzzles and grids, and everyone seems to think they're fun.

Anyway, my son has been sick with puking, so we have just been in the house the last couple days, and I started watching LEGO Elves on Netflix. It was just a random thing that popped up and seemed like it wouldn't be too bad if he woke up. I am on the third episode, and it's surprisingly enjoyable. I didn't really understand the LEGO tie-in, until I noticed that various objects in the cartoon are actually made of LEGOs. It's very subtle, but it's there, and it's really cool.

It's actually pretty rare that I get to just sit and watch something I want to watch on tv. My husband saw me watching something with elves and said something to the effect of, "Oh, good, you need to watch something new so you can get some fresh inspiration for the campaign and take a turn as DM again." But I am more inspired by the LEGOs.

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that into the storyline for a session or two, or into a puzzle. I could just make a maze with them, and keep part of it in a box and do a slow reveal or something. But I was hoping for something cooler. Idk.

So if anyone has any thoughts, let me know. TIA
I saw some stuff on this a while back but have never seen any of it in the stores. Thanks for reminding me about the cartoon.

Here's some lego DnD stuff I've seen over the past while.

Quest Builder

Let’s Make This LEGO Fantasy Dungeon A Reality | Geek and Sundry

https://kotaku.com/elves-march-into-battle-in-huge-dungeons-dragons-lego-1733535334

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3hiv98/just_made_my_5e_partys_characters_and_dm_out_of/

BrickQuest: Modular Dungeon Gaming

YouTube also has some great videos on building your own stuff for campaigns. This dude here does super cool stuff with plaster and paint.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRB8U4IrmCo

I found him when I picked up Mechs vs Minions.

mechs vs minions | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I saw some stuff on this a while back but have never seen any of it in the stores. Thanks for reminding me about the cartoon.

Here's some lego DnD stuff I've seen over the past while.

Let’s Make This LEGO Fantasy Dungeon A Reality | Geek and Sundry

https://kotaku.com/elves-march-into-battle-in-huge-dungeons-dragons-lego-1733535334

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3hiv98/just_made_my_5e_partys_characters_and_dm_out_of/

BrickQuest: Modular Dungeon Gaming

YouTube also has some great videos on building your own stuff for campaigns. This dude here does super cool stuff with plaster and paint.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRB8U4IrmCo

I found him when I picked up Mechs vs Minions.

mechs vs minions | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum
Thanks for all the links - I will check them out.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
If this thread was started by anyone but nuraknu @nuraknu there would be serious repercussions
Go ahead. I can take it. It can't be as bad as the worst I've gotten on this site, lol.

I never did the Lego thing actually. Instead I used a piece of a map of real catacombs in Odessa to send them on a grand underground adventure, and then we ended up stopping in the middle because of work and kids and schedules. We played Catan a few times instead, but we're just taking a break now. Maybe people will be less busy once the weather changes.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Go ahead. I can take it. It can't be as bad as the worst I've gotten on this site, lol.

I never did the Lego thing actually. Instead I used a piece of a map of real catacombs in Odessa to send them on a grand underground adventure, and then we ended up stopping in the middle because of work and kids and schedules. We played Catan a few times instead, but we're just taking a break now. Maybe people will be less busy once the weather changes.
You know you’re my favourite and I’m messing around

When my wife, daughter and I went to Dubai earlier this year we went to Lego world and it was a good time, particularly since there were only approx 30 other people at the park.....so I can’t talk

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
You know you’re my favourite and I’m messing around

When my wife, daughter and I went to Dubai earlier this year we went to Lego world and it was a good time, particularly since there were only approx 30 other people at the park.....so I can’t talk
I know <3. I've been thinking of taking my little guy to Lego land here, actually.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I know <3. I've been thinking of taking my little guy to Lego land here, actually.
Go during off season/during the work week

You’ll have no waiting and can enjoy the day

Obvious, I know but avoid the stress of the crowd

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I'm intensely fascinated by anything D&D after watching a couple of Twitch/Youtube shows. I find my self wanting to start playing, even though I have ridiculed these people back in high-school. Those were the types that ate their lunch in a tree.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I'm intensely fascinated by anything D&D after watching a couple of Twitch/Youtube shows. I find my self wanting to start playing, even though I have ridiculed these people back in high-school. Those were the types that ate their lunch in a tree.
Vin Diesel cements his nerd cred with a D&D birthday cake

One thing that is key is playing with the right group of people for you. For instance, my friends and I do not have any patience for worrying about the weight of our character's possessions. I had them find a bag of holding in one of the first sessions I DMed because who needs to waste time on that stuff? We only cared in terms of armor rules really. But other people are totally anal and add up the weight of every single object, and they like that.

There are some other stylistic things too -- like how combat plays out when you have a lot of enemies. You'll see. Just my two cents.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Vin Diesel cements his nerd cred with a D&D birthday cake

One thing that is key is playing with the right group of people for you. For instance, my friends and I do not have any patience for worrying about the weight of our character's possessions. I had them find a bag of holding in one of the first sessions I DMed because who needs to waste time on that stuff? We only cared in terms of armor rules really. But other people are totally anal and add up the weight of every single object, and they like that.

There are some other stylistic things too -- like how combat plays out when you have a lot of enemies. You'll see. Just my two cents.
It's the thing, I didn't know anyone was still playing this shit. With lots of variations and different editions it's hard to get into. But it is now something I'm willing to find out, and experience a campaign.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
It's the thing, I didn't know anyone was still playing this shit. With lots of variations and different editions it's hard to get into. But it is now something I'm willing to find out, and experience a campaign.
They're up to the 5th edition; it's simpler now. In general, I think they did a good job with the changes, and that's the edition you should be learning on.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
They're up to the 5th edition; it's simpler now. In general, I think they did a good job with the changes, and that's the edition you should be learning on.
I just gotta seek out the nerds now. And start a group.