Lifestyle Dust Mites TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Air purifier
Have carpets cleaned and then have a stain Guard applied, or get rid of the carpet
Clean your blinds
Wash curtains or throw them away
Buy an hypoallergenic pillow or buy a cover for yours, don't go cheap. They have nice soft ones now that you won't even know is there
Vacuum mattress and use mattress cover
Don't use a fan while you sleep
Change air filter regularly and buy the good ones

You can buy individual filters for each air vent if it's real bad

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Absolutely. Fucking. Not.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Ok fine. No carpet. Just blinds in the bedroom, no curtains. Covers for mattress, pillows, and a duvet cover for comforter that you can wash weekly...then You can use a fan. And clean the fan regularly.

(I know right! I do it anyway and wake up sniffling and sneezing.)

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ok fine. No carpet. Just blinds in the bedroom, no curtains. Covers for mattress, pillows, and a duvet cover for comforter that you can wash weekly...then You can use a fan. And clean the fan regularly.

(I know right! I do it anyway and wake up sniffling and sneezing.)
Thats MUCH more reasonable.
You forgot to mention AC set to 60.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I also spray around my tent with bug spray. And I think I'm going to start using a table top tiki right outside my tent. I hate bugs.

M

member 3289

Air purifier
Have carpets cleaned and then have a stain Guard applied, or get rid of the carpet
Clean your blinds
Wash curtains or throw them away
Buy an hypoallergenic pillow or buy a cover for yours, don't go cheap. They have nice soft ones now that you won't even know is there
Vacuum mattress and use mattress cover
Don't use a fan while you sleep
Change air filter regularly and buy the good ones

You can buy individual filters for each air vent if it's real bad
I do most of these things. I've had an air purifier for a while and will probably buy a dehumidifier as my bedroom hovers around 46-54% humidity (consistent sub-50% would kill the dust mites, but it's never consistently below 50). Recently bought dust proof mattress and pillow covers. I have blackout curtains that I don't want to get rid of but I recently washed them in hot water. I'll look into the individual air vent filters, thanks.

Only fat people use fans while they sleep.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I do most of these things. I've had an air purifier for a while and will probably buy a dehumidifier as my bedroom hovers around 46-54% humidity (consistent sub-50% would kill the dust mites, but it's never consistently below 50). Recently bought dust proof mattress and pillow covers. I have blackout curtains that I don't want to get rid of but I recently washed them in hot water. I'll look into the individual air vent filters, thanks.

Only addicts need blackout curtains......

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

And hormonal women!

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Are you allergic to crustaceans?

I gained an allergy to shellfish when I was 13, which is buggered seeing as I grew up eating it regularly.

Just took my kid in for allergy tests, and learned that dust mites and crustaceans are in the same family. Apparently it's common, especially for folks who grew up on the coast like I did, to acquire an allergy to dust mites resulting in an allergy to shellfish.
Shrimp, lobster and prawns I could eat, but recommended to have benadryl on hand. Crab will absolutely kill me, I have serious reactions even without ingesting.

Food for thought seeing as you're close to the coast.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Are you allergic to crustaceans?

I gained an allergy to shellfish when I was 13, which is buggered seeing as I grew up eating it regularly.

Just took my kid in for allergy tests, and learned that dust mites and crustaceans are in the same family. Apparently it's common, especially for folks who grew up on the coast like I did, to acquire an allergy to dust mites resulting in an allergy to shellfish.
Shrimp, lobster and prawns I could eat, but recommended to have benadryl on hand. Crab will absolutely kill me, I have serious reactions even without ingesting.

Food for thought seeing as you're close to the coast.
You can grow out of that FYI. My ex wife did, unfortunately.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You can grow out of that FYI. My ex wife did, unfortunately.
I wish! Crab and shrimp/prawns are delicious, from what I recall. Every so often I'll try a shrimp and get a mild reaction. Couple years ago my wife had some crab dip at a function, and I broke out In hives just from kissing her.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I wish! Crab and shrimp/prawns are delicious, from what I recall. Every so often I'll try a shrimp and get a mild reaction. Couple years ago my wife had some crab dip at a function, and I broke out In hives just from kissing her.
Bro, she was trying to kill you.