VID Early UFC fight format

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018

An eight-man elimination tournament format, with the winner receiving $50,000. Fights had no weight classes, time-outs, or judges. The two rules, no biting or eye gouging, were to be enforced only by a $1,500 fine. The match only ended by submission, knockout, or the fighter's corner throwing in the towel. Gloves were allowed.

I know, no fighting commission would allow such a fight today

BUTT

Picking from the list of today’s MMA fighters who do you think would do well in this type of no weight class/elimination/no time limit format?

I think Robbie Lawler, Nick/Nate Diaz would give a show of a lifetime (prob wouldn’t win but would be great fan fights)

What fighters would you pick to fight this Anniversary UFC event?

I know, no fighting commission would allow such a fight today

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
but it's a completely different strategy when there aren't time limits.
Lots of guys that we think have 'cardio for days' actually have a 5 minute tank that refills quickly.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good choices.
I'd definitely throw Mike Perry in there.
Just 8?
Gotta have a Karate guy;
Stephen Thompson coming in with a gi would be awesome.
You know Jorge Masvidal & Donald Cerrone would be down.
Jon Jones; wouldn't mind seeing him get smacked in the dick pills.
Paulo Costa because we need a Vitor.
Thiago Santos would be down.
Uberreem for sure.

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
but it's a completely different strategy when there aren't time limits.
Lots of guys that we think have 'cardio for days' actually have a 5 minute tank that refills quickly.

exactly, not many would be up to the task

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
Good choices.
I'd definitely throw Mike Perry in there.
Just 8?
Gotta have a Karate guy;
Stephen Thompson coming in with a gi would be awesome.
You know Jorge Masvidal & Donald Cerrone would be down.
Jon Jones; wouldn't mind seeing him get smacked in the dick pills.
Paulo Costa because we need a Vitor.
Thiago Santos would be down.
Uberreem for sure.

good call with Perry

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
cowboy would love this shit.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Khabib as well. I think guys who can keep a steady pace, don't usually take much damage and have great wrestling would be best in this format.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Khabib as well. I think guys who can keep a steady pace, don't usually take much damage and have great wrestling would be best in this format.
there's also only one free Stand Up. So if a guy like Khabib or GSP puts you on your back, you better be able to survive without exhausting or taking a lot of damage.

Guys from the old school of Gracie JJ, like Brian Ortega, would excel in this format as well.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
You know back in the day when UFC first came around, vale tudo/mma/cage fighting was extremely "taboo".

It had to be accepted over time and it took a lot of hurdles to be accepted to "mainstream" status.

Fast forward 25 years later, tmz shows brutal street fights on the regular. Society has been well adjusted to violence.

I say that, to say this-If someone with enough money to run a promotion wanted to, they could take the mma world by storm again and bringing it back to it's roots.

Imagine a no weight class 30 minute bout where if you don't win by finish, then you don't win it's a draw. This increases action and I'm unsure about having more than 1 fight in a night, but maybe 1 fight per month tournament format.

Headbutts, kicked to downed opponent, all allowed. This should be attainable.

Anyways, I'd have to go with a heavyweight to win in this hypothetical scenario, probably someone with a solid wrestling base like Cain or DC.