Eddie Bravo: Tony Ferguson will thank Khabib for taking him down, attack him on the ground

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Tony Ferguson’s coach Eddie Bravo recently spoke about the UFC lightweight title picture, saying that he believes Conor McGregor would actually be an easier match up than the one they have ahead of them in Khabib Nurmagomedov.

“Khabib will be the toughest guy in the lightweight division for a very long time,” Bravo said about Ferguson’s biggest challenges, during an appearance at WFAN’s Outside the Cage podcast. “Conor would be an easier fight for Tony. Khabib’s going to be tough.”

According to the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu founder, Khabib is dangerous on the ground, but they will be taking a completely different approach than most of his opponents. Bravo says they plan to…

Eddie Bravo: Tony Ferguson will thank Khabib for taking him down, attack him on the ground

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It will be interesting to see if Tony can counter Khabib's GNP with rubber guard or damage of his own off of his back. Tough task.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
It will be interesting to see if Tony can counter Khabib's GNP with rubber guard or damage of his own off of his back. Tough task.
if he's on his back and can defend/absorb the strikes from Khabib he might be able to catch an opening for a sub.

imo that's more the game plan than attacking back like Bravo wants us to believe.

Tony Ferguson’s coach Eddie Bravo recently spoke about the UFC lightweight title picture, saying that he believes Conor McGregor would actually be an easier match up than the one they have ahead of them in Khabib Nurmagomedov.

“Khabib will be the toughest guy in the lightweight division for a very long time,” Bravo said about Ferguson’s biggest challenges, during an appearance at WFAN’s Outside the Cage podcast. “Conor would be an easier fight for Tony. Khabib’s going to be tough.”

According to the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu founder, Khabib is dangerous on the ground, but they will be taking a completely different approach than most of his opponents. Bravo says they plan to…

I think that camp is showing a supreme amount of stupidity in giving that information to Khabib for free.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I think that camp is showing a supreme amount of stupidity in giving that information to Khabib for free.
Tony has always been a bonehead, he probably told his team to leak that info

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's not really surprising to read though is it? You got a BB BJJ guy with 9 subs on his record about to face a guy who always gets the TD, no big reveal IMO. For all we know this is the start of the mental games and Tony's team is hoping this is just some noise to keep Khabib on his toes . I fully assumed that if/when Tony gets taken down he'll won't be in panic mode to get up like everyone else has been. I think Tony has better striking so it may be wise to get up of course but I also see him being able to defend and attack to finish or sweep to keep himself in the fight.

It's not really surprising to read though is it? You got a BB BJJ guy with 9 subs on his record about to face a guy who always gets the TD, no big reveal IMO. For all we know this is the start of the mental games and Tony's team is hoping this is just some noise to keep Khabib on his toes . I fully assumed that if/when Tony gets taken down he'll won't be in panic mode to get up like everyone else has been. I think Tony has better striking so it may be wise to get up of course but I also see him being able to defend and attack to finish or sweep to keep himself in the fight.
I see your point but maintain that if you don't know how to play poker, don't pretend. I think Eddie Bravo is not a gifted strategist off the matt.
I still think Khabib is going to finish this guy inside of 2 rounds.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I see your point but maintain that if you don't know how to play poker, don't pretend. I think Eddie Bravo is not a gifted strategist off the matt.
I still think Khabib is going to finish this guy inside of 2 rounds.
Not sure what you mean in your first comment. Are you saying Tony and team are bluffing about having a solid ground game? I can't think of any other fighters from Eddie's camp but he's done a great job with Tony so far. Tony has a good chin so he should be able to handle some GnP but I realize Khabib is a whole other animal in that zone. I think this is a great fight and don't see it as a lock for either guy. I'd like to see Khabib get put on his back sometime to see how he handles it.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I think if Khabib was actually worried about a sub, he could just slam him repeatedly and never follow him to the ground, like 12 takedowns a round

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think Tony and Eddy know that if Khabib puts Tony on his back, Tony is getting beat up.

this looks like a ham-fisted attempt to get Khabib to think that Tony will accept the takedown, so that Tony has a better chance of drilling Khabib with a knee or elbow on the way in.

They're going to talk it up like Tony wants to be on his back against Khabib. I ain't buyin' it.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
Does any of this matter? Tony is going to go in their semi wild and entertaining. Khabib is going to walk forward, take some shots, and get the take down and ground and pound. Tony is dangerous on the ground and could submit him. No surprises here. I don’t think either have a drastically different game plan than we’ve seen from them in the past.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Perhaps Eddie should tell tony that when the bell for the first round rings, he should just collapse to his back and dare khabib to get into his guard?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I like the matchup tbh......Tony is a damn tough kryptonite on the ground

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I like the matchup tbh......Tony is a damn tough kryptonite on the ground
I think it's a fun matchup too, but I wouldn't go so far as to say tony is kryptonite on the ground, since we're talking about khabib here. Imo, tony's strength in this fight will be on his feet. When it hits the mat, he may be able to defend for the first, maybe the second round, but after that it will be the khabib show. If tony can avoid the takedowns, that is where he will get his best results, imo. He's a really award and unpredictable fighter on his feet (perhaps not as effective if the opponent doesn't gave to worry about a takedown though). I'll be watching.