General Employer expects off the clock work

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
My wife is an hourly employee and is currently being told she has to work off the clock after working her required 40hrs.
I'm pretty sure this illegal but im looking for any input or advice from people who have been through similar situations.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
if she is hourly, she can (and should) tell them she expects to be compensated for time worked, or they can pound sand.

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
if she is hourly, she can (and should) tell them she expects to be compensated for time worked, or they can pound sand.
I told her to document everything. Only speak to the manager and boss through txt so its documented.
Idk if the boss knows for sure this is going on. The manager is telling her this and it could be the manager trying to push their responsibilities off onto hourly employees.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
For sure illegal. If you guys aren’t dependent on the income tell her to tell them to pound sand! If not start looking for a better gig.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
You should contact what ever state bureau of labor your state has. I had to contact mine over them half assing my break times and being late with checks. It gives you that extra paper work if you have to sue and leaves some paperwork evidence. if they have to investigate. My job was class action sued over similar shennanigans my check was way smaller because I didn't file the suit.

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
You should contact what ever state bureau of labor your state has. I had to contact mine over them half assing my break times and being late with checks. It gives you that extra paper work if you have to sue and leaves some paperwork evidence. if they have to investigate. My job was class action sued over similar shennanigans my check was way smaller because I didn't file the suit.
Thank you, I will let my wife know.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
If she isn't exempt (salary), she should be getting 1.5x her base pay for any hours worked over 40 hours. It's the law.

I'd get some more details from her. Like is her manager telling her she should have got the work done in the 40 hours and letting her do it on her own time is a way of avoiding corrective action? It's still illegal and not how that should be handled, but it gets into a little bit of a gray area.

If her boss is just trying to squeeze extra hours out of her with no intention of paying her...yeah, that's bullshit. Document everything. Depending on the size of the company, HR is probably who she should contact. If there isn't an HR and management continues the practice, I'd report it to the DOL.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
It is illegal, me ole boy
Make it public on social media or threaten to do so
Companies shit themselves when people threaten to go to social media