Eseentials for home gym?

Discussion in 'Strength and Conditioning' started by b00ts, Jan 8, 2019.

1. b00ts

b00ts Coonass
    Amateur Fighter

Ratings:
    +7,934
    Finally turning the garage into a home gym and trying to jot down what to start shopping for. I mostly do a 5x5 and kettlebells.

I’m going to start with rubber floor sections, a bench/squat rack w/pull-up bars, bench, Olympic bar, weights @ 4x45, 2x35, 2x25, 2x10, 4x5, And 2x2.5, a kettlebell rack, and probably a speed bag in the corner.

Was thinking of installing a water machine, recessed speakers in the ceiling, and mirrors, but then I decided that would be douchey.

Any other tips from others that have done this?

I was going to do a home golf simulator, but don’t have the ceiling height I would like in the garage.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J Smesher of Dream
    First 100

Ratings:
    +27,713
    I just have a pull up rack with squats and bench capability...only doing squats and pull ups right now...I do dumbbell bench on the mobile bench
    Got ton of barbells...I collect old strongman looking dumbbells, I find a few each summer at old people estate sales...Old dumbbells feel so much better in the hand
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have heavy bag also...need to get back to giving some work(gotta clear out the garage a little more first)

Of course it really depends on what you like to do, sounds like you got that dialed in.

Check your Craiglist and stuff...Tons of great deals as people upgrade or sell off their shit...I am about to put a great Bench/multi purpose thing on craigslist for a screaming deal because I need the space so I can re-hang the heavy bag to practice my CroCop southpaw shit again

Mine Gym is Ghetto though...concrete floors and padding only in a square around the heavy bag...non heated area because it is part carport part garage...have boxed and pumped Iron in 25ish degree temps with many layers on

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. b00ts

b00ts Coonass
    Amateur Fighter

Ratings:
    +7,934
    I’ve got about $300 in Academy Sports gift cards I’ve saved up from Christmas and birthdays, so I’ll probably get a quality rack from there and then check sales there or Craigslist, Amazon, etc. after

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yossarian

Yossarian Posting Machine

Ratings:
    +18,370
    I do a lot with dumbbells as well. Takes a lot more work, stabilizing, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tuc Ouiner

Tuc Ouiner Active Member

Ratings:
    +790
    ab wheels are good/cheap

6. Tuc Ouiner

Tuc Ouiner Active Member

Ratings:
    +790
    jump rope, chin up bar, wrist roller-- a broomstick w/a hole drilled in it. stick about 1ft long. 550 cord about 3ft long with a plate10lb+.Roll it both ways. grip tape is good. great for forearms. foam on floor-- gotta do neck bridges.

7. RaginCajun

RaginCajun TMMAC Potentate

Ratings:
    +24,239
    Here's some good equipment...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted