ESPN lost 2 million subscribers this year

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017

We're getting a clearer picture of the devastation cord-cutting has wrought to cable with the release of Disney's annual earnings report. It shows that ESPN lost 2 million subscribers in the past 12 months alone, with its base declining from 88 million in 2017 to 86 million.

Though it wasn't the only Disney mainstay that took a hit this year -- the Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD all lost lost 3 million subs, while Freeform shed 2 million -- ESPN's decline is more of a metric of how many people have quit cable, since it's in nearly every package. As Variety notes, Disney isn't the only media behemoth to be burned by cord-cutting: the entirety of cable's leading lights have suffered subscriber losses.

But Disney already has a contingency plan in the form of ESPN+, which offers live and archived sports streams from regional networks, excluding any local blackouts, for a $5 monthly fee. The service nabbed 1 million subs in just five months, helping to offset some of Disney's cable losses. There's also NHL.TV (the online home of out-of-market ice hockey games) and skinny bundles that carry ESPN (like Disney's part-owned Hulu Live TV, and YouTube TV, Sling TV, and DirecTV Now, among others)

-

Subscribers in this context means the potential homes.

You see why they are going hard with ESPN+

-

Source - ESPN lost 2 million subscribers to cord cutting this year

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I don't even remember the last time I really watched anything on ESPN. I know it's part of my cable package but there's so much garbage on there now that I'm more likely to re-watch old episodes of Great British Baking whatever than watch the live content on ESPN.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
cable is a JOKE! Pay $100/month for shitty shows filled with commercials who are also paying to be played over top of what you are trying to watch. absolute JOKE