EURO 2016 is on

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Well, disappointing of course, but I am still proud how we played.

The better team lost. We played great, dominated the game completely for 80 minutes, and had a lot of big chances, the luck wasn't on our side. France had 10 good minutes and used it when we had two dumb individual mistakes, those things happen. We just weren't able to score. On a good day 1 or 2 of those chances go in, and then its a whole different game. Or on a good day, we don't have yet another idiot making dancing figures in the box and getting his hand on the ball in the process.
Yellow cards, injuries.. welp. Unlucky is a fair term I think.

Having said that, kudos to France, they did what they had to do, their defence was way better than I expected, very well organized, they were ruthless when they had to, and didn't make those mistakes. Out of the game they didn't create nothing though in 80 minutes, destruction was their goal.
Now we have two destructing teams in the final.. lets see how that goes.

For us, the only thing that is clear is that we lack on the 9. If Gomez is injured and Müller so severely out of form, we are fucked. Unless Löw gives Götze more chances (who wasn't in stellar form either though).., or someone else, but he didn't have the balls to bench Müller. Probably rightfully so.
Looking back on it, the big mistake was not to bring Kießling with us this tournament. We needed exactly him yesterday.
yeah Deutschland should go out with their head up high. that team will be in a position to win the next World Cup and the next Euro and every other tournament they play.

the second goal was huge fuck up but that happens from time to time it's all in the game. after that goal your #21 hit an awesome shot that should've tied the game and made it epic in the final minutes. anyway I'm now rooting for France I was only going to root for Portugal if they could win the whole thing by drawing all games.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
damn i was rooting for Icleand and Wales there in the end. (pun not intended)... .(actually yeah maybe pun intended)

Im hoping France wins it. It would be a good pick me up for the country given all the shooting in the region.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I think ronaldo would of scored by now if he wasn't injured griezmann might score in overtime.

diet butcher

Purple Member
Jan 19, 2015
was rooting for Portugal, but right now I don't care. Don't wanna stay up for extra time if its gonna be half an hour more of this!

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
C'MON PORTUGAL!!

My parents are Portuguese. If they win, I will be Portuguese today. If they lose, especially from here, I am Australian FOR-EV-ER!

*walks off Chael Sonnen style*

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Portugal Aleeeee!!!!!!!!!!

I guarantee the streets of Portugal are going to be oing off tonight. My dad's over there right now. Lucky bastard

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
C'MON PORTUGAL!!

My parents are Portuguese. If they win, I will be Portuguese today. If they lose, especially from here, I am Australian FOR-EV-ER!

*walks off Chael Sonnen style*
Just watched the game with my mom who's off the boat Portuguese (came here in the 60's). She nearly had a heart attack during the goal.

Not a pretty game but they got the job done and get to bring home the gold. :)

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Just watched the game with my mom who's off the boat Portuguese (came here in the 60's). She nearly had a heart attack during the goal.

Not a pretty game but they got the job done and get to bring home the gold. :)
True. Man I would have loved to have watched the game with some other Portuguese people instead of quietly in my room alone on a cold Melbourne morning at 6am.

Still worth it though!

Forca Portugal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Time for a little recap maybe.

Winner of the tournament: Portugal
Loser of the tournament: the fans

Best player: Griezman
Best young player: Renato Sanches

Top-team (4-2-3-1, only players with 5 games+, players like Chiellini or Hummels only had 4 for example)
Goalie: Neuer (GER)
Defenders: Pepe (POR), Boateng (GER), Bonucci (ITA), Koscielny (FRA)
Midfield: Kroos (GER), Renato Sanches (POR), Ramsey (WAL), Bale (WAL), Hazard (BEL)
Attack: Griezman (FRA)

Second team:
Goalie: Rui Patricio (POR)
Defenders: Barzagli (ITA), Guerreiro (POR), R.Sigurdsson (ICE), Hector (GER)
Midfield: Nainggolan (BEL), Allen (WAL), Blaszczykowski (POL), Payet (FRA), Özil (GER)
Attack: Giroud (FRA)

Lloris, Pogba, Sissoko, Krychowiak & G.Sigurdsson didn't make it razor-close here for me. Ronaldo and Nani close as well. Would have been in a third maybe. :p

Edit: put the countries behind the players.

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Now, regarding to the loser being the fans.
To be blunt, many games were boring and horrible, and the system asked for it and facilitated it. Scrap that shit immediately! Its not about it being 24 teams, but about the group-phase having no incentives to take any risks.

A buddy of mine proposed the following +1 teams (25!), make 5 groups with 5 teams, have the first place and the 3 best second places advance to a quarter-final. Boom. You will see teams actually having to go for 3 points now, with a good goal-difference being a big advantage!

Portugal.. 7 games, only won one normally, inside of 90 minutes. They played 720 minutes, of which they only had the lead in 73 minutes, not even a full game! Three draws in the group stages. They crawled through the tournament.
Not to say they didn't deserve to win the tournament, they did. They deserved to win this tournament, in fact, it is quite fitting.
Having said that, I was positively surprised when Fernando Santos made those very offensive substitutions at the end there, and I kinda knew (and won a bet with a buddy at that point) that this would win him the game and the guy is gonna become a legend. Hats off to their coach. Absolutely.

Now to the nutty business, to every top-eleven, the has to be a flop-eleven!
(4-2-3-1, at least 4 games):
Goalie: Hart (ENG)
Defenders: Ramos (SPA), Saevarsson (ISL), Djourou (SWI), Lichtsteiner (SWI)
Midfield: Ferreira-Carrasco (BEL), Götze (GER), Müller (GER), Adrien Silva (POR), Alli (ENG)
Attack: Kane (ENG)

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
And since I'm in the mood, a power-ranking going out on how I think the teams could be ranked according to what they showed us, all comments are imho:

1. Germany (best team, the best tactically all-around, with individual problems costing them)

2. Italy (fucking scary opponents for anyone, only lacking some individual class and tactical flexibility, very impressive)

3. France (great team, very flexible, managed to make up for their weak defence, sometimes with luck, best attack, but with execution-probs.. after all, their only impressive game was against Iceland..)

4. Croatia (were under my radar before the tournament, then came short fast, but potentially could have made huge damage, their players were on form mostly, good system..)

5. Spain (still have a great system with great players, just seem.. complacent?, if they are not executing fully, they are beatable, individuals out of form, coach with bad decisions)

6. Belgium (high, I know, but potentially such a great team, just need a good coach.. showed some very good tendencies, but of course disappointed result-wise and game-wise too often..)

7. Portugal (low for the winner, eh?, well, imho a good football-team has to be able to do everything, attack, defend, play with the ball, adapt.. defend?; check, adapt?; only defensive, otherwise?; not good compared to the players they posses)

8. Wales (impressed me no doubt, but left too much on the shoulders of Bale, he sometimes did so much, it was bad for the team.., still, very impressive)

9. Switzerland (hard to make a judgement here.. tried and failed? were fucked by individual problems as well, but, you know, I didn't expect much more anyway, a fitting result, best goal by Shaquiri)

10. Hungary (impressive until the point they weren't :D, a real team with a good system and big team-effort, keep it going!)

11. Poland (were my dark horse, I expected more result-wise, but, well, nobody was able to beat Portugal anyway, even though I do think Germany and Italy would have.., either way, they could not cope with Portugal at all, so they deserved to go out, other than that, solid)

12. Albania (punched above their weightclass, that's all I have to say.)

13. England (punched in their weightclass :D)

14. Iceland (impressive no doubt, but were a bit too hyped up, they had their solid system and a lot of heart, nice underdog story)

15. Ireland (I'll leave that to Sweets @Sweets!)

16. Ukraine (expected a little better results, but oh well, they got talented players)

17. Slovakia (the cogs didn't really fit together well, I was disappointed and wished more to Hamsik)

18. Romania (were there)

19. Austria (was the dark horse for many, believed in their own hype, and to be blunt, they failed miserably, very disappointing, have good players in good age.. lets see if they can get it together in two years)

20. Sweden (didn't see them doing much to begin with, but what they showed was crap, not a fitting end for Zlatan on the big stage)

21. Czech Republic (I expected them to disappoint.. so is it a disappointment anyway? dunno, they are not in good shape as they were once)

22. N. Ireland (I leave that to Sweets @Sweets as well. :D)

23. Turkey (I expected them to be at the bottom, they are one above, so there is that, coach had no balls to do the things needed)

24. Russia ( :speaknoevil::seenoevil::hearnoevil:)