Every single upcoming UFC PPV is weak, facepalm

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

CLINTK9

Oct 20, 2015
ufc146 was originally:

jds vs ubereem
cain vs mir
hunt vs struve
nelson vs bigfoot
del rosario vs gonzaga

Last edited:

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
I don't know what the fuck a number hater is. That sounds silly as fuck.

Stay on task a bit

Are you saying UFC 221 was a good PPV card. No real title fight just a fake interim belt. Absolutely horrible co main, terrible style matchup and illogical considering most knew blades would wrestle fuck Hunt and take all the steam out of the crowd going into the main event. Is Saberbek Saforov a PPV fighter to you? That guy would not even make Bellators top 15 at lhw and here he is on a UFC PPV LOL.

Are you saying UFC 222 is a good card? Horrible main event, Cyborg fighting some hot blonde who is not even a 145 er but a 135. Shit main card through and through when you consider its 65 dollars.

Are these good cards to you? Do you think rolling out card after card like this is good for the sport or the fighters? Do you think when its already proven that ppv went from 630 k to 310 K, meaning casuals are now being turned off, that it wont go down even further as these cards keep plummeting in quality?

These answers are pretty easy to me
Regarding "numbers hater"... Me & Frankie are quite often talking about the numbers involved in the UFC... such as PPV buys & stuff like that... & there's always a handful of people that roll into the thread just to post that they don't give a sh*t about the numbers... lol... those are numbers haters.

Actually 310k PPV is a little high. A typical sub-standard PPV card is right around 250 or less these days. I guess you're quoting yearly averages yeah? If so, you're comparing a year in which McGregor fought 3 times to a year that he didn't fight... so that's going to skew the numbers. 250 was the high end for those sub-quality cards during that year as well.

It's really strange you asking me "Are you saying?" ... & then you ak me about all these cards that I didn't bring up... & my post didn't have anything to do with me saying anything about whether or not PPV's are quality or not... but I'll comment. I can certainly understand you being cynical about the quality of some of the PPV cards we've been getting, but they're not all bad.

221 had a great Main event... you dissing it because of the belt issue doesn't take away from the fact that it was a great matchup & fight. Blaydes vs. Hunt is legit despite the wrestlers strategy to smother the opponent. Even though he kept him down a lot... I was on the edge of my seat when they were standing knowing that Hunt could put the lights out at any moment. All 3 fights under those I was stoked for... just because I knew they would be fireworks... & they delivered. So you got Saberbek Saforov who just got into the UFC & lost his debut against an OG... he still has all those first round KO's on his resume... & so it was an interesting matchup to me. KO artist vs KO artist. I enjoyed the other 2 fights too, so I'm pretty content with 221.

222... I tire of Cyborg fighting people everyone knows she will beat too. I'll still get some enjoyment from seeing her in the cage. Foxy got a lot of 1st round KO's though so you never know. Edgar & Cat fights are both legit & I'm looking forward to that. Struve/Arlovski... meh... I'm getting bored with Arlovski's chin being gone. I will casually enjoy watching Struve get a W though... & he's such a spectacle to watch with his height. Don't know the 2 in the other fight yet, but I'll dig into that during fight week. As it standz I'd say this would make a hell of a Fox Fight Night... but it's not up to PPV standards imo.

Do you think rolling out card after card like this is good for the sport or the fighters?
I agree they should stack the cards more on PPV & put the full force of WME's promotional engine into effect to bring the casuals back in. I'm not sure why they're not doing that. I hold out hope that maybe they're waiting for the 3 year plan Ari & Dana were talking about that would change the sport for the better. I have not lost hope they have some great things in mind... but I agree that they should at least be stacking the PPV's better in the mean time.

Last edited:

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yana has actually fought at featherweight for more of her career than bantamweight. CSAC also told her to move back up after last fight.

Of course we would be pumped for those cards...because they're unrealistic fantasy cards.

I love how you avoided the actual real card , ufc 146 he provided.

The fucking prelims on ufc 146 where better than these ,main card ufc ppvs

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Regarding "numbers hater"... Me & Frankie are quite often talking about the numbers involved in the UFC... such as PPV buys & stuff like that... & there's always a handful of people that roll into the thread just to post that they don't give a sh*t about the numbers... lol... those are numbers haters.

Actually 310k PPV is a little high. A typical sub-standard PPV card is right around 250 or less these days. I guess you're quoting yearly averages yeah? If so, you're comparing a year in which McGregor fought 3 times to a year that he didn't fight... so that's going to skew the numbers. 250 was the high end for those sub-quality cards during that year as well.

It's really strange you asking me "Are you saying?" ... & then you ak me about all these cards that I didn't bring up... & my post didn't have anything to do with me saying anything about whether or not PPV's are quality or not... but I'll comment. I can certainly understand you being cynical about the quality of some of the PPV cards we've been getting, but they're not all bad.

221 had a great Main event... you dissing it because of the belt issue doesn't take away from the fact that it was a great matchup & fight. Blaydes vs. Hunt is legit despite the wrestlers strategy to smother the opponent. Even though he kept him down a lot... I was on the edge of my seat when they were standing knowing that Hunt could put the lights out at any moment. All 3 fights under those I was stoked for... just because I knew they would be fireworks... & they delivered. So you got Saberbek Saforov who just got into the UFC & lost his debut against an OG... he still has all those first round KO's on his resume... & so it was an interesting matchup to me. KO artist vs KO artist. I enjoyed the other 2 fights too, so I'm pretty content with 221.

222... I tire of Cyborg fighting people everyone knows she will beat too. I'll still get some enjoyment from seeing her in the cage. Foxy got a lot of 1st round KO's though so you never know. Edgar & Cat fights are both legit & I'm looking forward to that. Struve/Arlovski... meh... I'm getting bored with Arlovski's chin being gone. I will casually enjoy watching Struve get a W though... & he's such a spectacle to watch with his height. Don't know the 2 in the other fight yet, but I'll dig into that during fight week. As it standz I'd say this would make a hell of a Fox Fight Night... but it's not up to PPV standards imo.

I agree they should stack the cards more on PPV & put the full force of WME's promotional engine into effect to bring the casuals back in. I'm not sure why they're not doing that. I hold out hope that maybe they're waiting for the 3 year plan Ari & Dana were talking about that would change the sport for the better. I have not lost hope they have some great things in mind... but I agree that they should at least be stacking the PPV's better.

What on earth are you talking about respectuflly, bottom line they plummeted over 50% in PPV sales, that is a fact and so far in 2018 its getting worse.

221 was trash, the fact you even try to justify to us that its not is a complete sham.
You lost me when you tried to tell us that ufc 221 is good.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
What on earth are you talking about respectuflly, bottom line they plummeted over 50% in PPV sales, that is a fact and so far in 2018 its getting worse.

221 was trash, the fact you even try to justify to us that its not is a complete sham.
You lost me when you tried to tell us that ufc 221 is good.

I was pretty stoked leading up to the 221 PPV because I had studied the fighters & knew it would be an exciting card. I was not disappointed. You seem to of been front loaded with disapointment about the belt thing & either not knowing about or not appreciating the other fights on the card. it's just opinions bro.

I'm not "justifying" anything. I'm telling you exactly the way I feel about it. I had a hell of a good time watching that PPV. I think you're just so cynical about it all that you weren't able to just sit back & enjoy a good night of fights. 2 first round finishes, the mathews fight was amazing... I enjoyed the Hunt fight more than you, & the main was a great match up & fight imo.

Well they had 3 McGregor fights, a Brock fight, & Rousey's last hurrah that year. Punk boosted PPV for that card he was on. If you take those out & average the remaining cards you get 282k

In 2017, we got DC/Jones & GSP/Bisping that had good numbers, but nothing like what Mac, Brock & Rousey brought in. What I'm saying is that they had mass star power... so the argument that the UFC is dying because those stars didn't fight in 2017 isn't quite accurate.

That said, I do agree that they should stack the PPV's more.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
MyrddinWild @MyrddinWild

Bro, there is a difference between a PPV card and a card that is not PPV worthy but fun to watch. I could go watch Titan FC, fighters I never heard of, could be entertaining, but that dont mean it is ppv worthy.

I was not entertained much that 221 ppv, maybe you where, but those are not PPV worhty fights, and you will never convince us it is.

UFC 221 is flat out one of the worst PPVs ever. Are you for real?

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
MyrddinWild @MyrddinWild

Bro, there is a difference between a PPV card and a card that is not PPV worthy but fun to watch. I could go watch Titan FC, fighters I never heard of, could be entertaining, but that dont mean it is ppv worthy.

I was not entertained much that 221 ppv, maybe you where, but those are not PPV worhty fights, and you will never convince us it is.

UFC 221 is flat out one of the worst PPVs ever. Are you for real?
Yes, I'm 100% real. I enjoyed the hell out of that card.

Quality fights are more valuable to me than top contenders flopping.

You want top contenders but you aren't happy with the Blaydes fight. On one hand you make it out like you have to have top contenders on a PPV for it to be valid... & then in the same breath you don't like the Blaydes fight for whatever reason. You discount the main because of the belt thing. These are secondary things to great fights.

I would much rather watch Mathews & Jing a ling throw down than I would to suffer through another Woodley vs. Wonderboy fight. But... but... Woodley is champ & they were going for the belt... & I know who Wonderboy is without having to look him up. I'd rather watch someone I never heard of before scrap & actually engage than to suffer through another fight like Woodley vs Thompson again. What I'm saying is that your concerns are not what makes great cards. Great matchups make great cards.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
MyrddinWild @MyrddinWild

Good for you. Not all of us how standards that low for a PPV. Let's see what the numbers are for UFC 221.

I say at most its 200 K buy, could be 100 k buys.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
Good for you. Not all of us how standards that low for a PPV.

I've been holding off saying this until now, but if you're going there... I'm going to go ahead & say that you are talking like a casual. you're interested in everything else it seems other than fights themselves. You're so worked up about the belt & star power that you're not even enjoying good fights.

/rant. :D

MyrddinWild @MyrddinWild

Let's see what the numbers are for UFC 221.

I say at most its 200 K buy, could be 100 k buys.
Meltzer's early estimates are usually in the ball park.
02/10/18 UFC 221 Rockhold vs Romero 130,000

Your point is correct regarding bringing in more casuals. I actually spoke up about this prior to the event. Someone was sh*tting on the card in a thread & I was like... hold on a minute... & I explained all the things to them about what I saw that made the card exciting. I then also said that this card would not bring in the casuals & would not do well on PPV buys. So we are in agreement there.

Where we are disagreeing is that you are saying it wasn't a good card because of the belt & star power etc... but you're completely missing the fact that the fights themselves were very entertaining. I'll give you Blaydes was a little slow, but I was still glued to the set knowing Hunt could put the lights out.

I think you went in so front loaded you didn't even notice the great night of fights that you were scowling at teh whole time.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

I've been holding off saying this until now, but if you're going there... I'm going to go ahead & say that you are talking like a casual. you're interested in everything else it seems other than fights themselves. You're so worked up about the belt & star power that you're not even enjoying good fights.

/rant. :D

Meltzer's early estimates are usually in the ball park.
02/10/18 UFC 221 Rockhold vs Romero 130,000

Your point is correct regarding bringing in more casuals. I actually spoke up about this prior to the event. Someone was sh*tting on the card in a thread & I was like... hold on a minute... & I explained all the things to them about what I saw that made the card exciting. I then also said that this card would not bring in the casuals & would not do well on PPV buys. So we are in agreement there.

Where we are disagreeing is that you are saying it wasn't a good card because of the belt & star power etc... but you're completely missing the fact that the fights themselves were very entertaining. I'll give you Blaydes was a little slow, but I was still glued to the set knowing Hunt could put the lights out.

I think you went in so front loaded you didn't even notice the great night of fights that you were scowling at teh whole time.

LOL at saying I am talking like a casual fan. You just make yourself sound silly when you say that. That's on you.

You also are not listening, a card can be entertaining does not mean its ppv worthy. there could be a card on paper where its a PPV and there are no title fights and the 10 people on the main card are not even top 20 in their weightclass. Now the fights coudl potentially be exciting, could be a fun card. But that don't mean its a good PPV.

Like I said, I could go watch a Titan FC card and be entertained, don't mean its PPV worthy.

If you are charging me 65 bucks for a PPV, you better damn sure how high ranking fighters all over that ppv. there are a ton of fights on prelims and fightpass every event that are fun, that don't mean that they where ppv worthy.

Also, 130 K buys is pathetic, the ship is sinking.

WME has done nothing but lower the quality of the product. People are talking with their wallets, that is the loudest action bro.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
You also are not listening, a card can be entertaining does not mean its ppv worthy.
Well, it seems we have gotten off of that subject a bit too... so it's not that I'm not listening... it's that we seem to be having 2 discussions going at the same time. When you said the card was trash...

I answered... not imo. It was not trash. I went in ahead of time very excited for a great night of fights & I was not disapointed. many others in the PbP thread commented about how much they enjoyed it as well so I'm not alone in that.

Now the other discussion we're having simultaneously it seemz... is that PPV should be designed to bring the casuals into the sport. On that... you & I are in agreement.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
The entire year of 2018 may not have a single PPV break 1 mill
Well, the UFC has had 15 PPV in its history go over a mill. out of the 89 PPV events they've put on... so it's not exactly a common thing.

Recently, McGregor, Brock, & Rousey are the only players at that level. GSP has come very close several times though , but interestingly, has never done it outside of UFC 100 that he shared with Brock.

I just point that out to say that the UFC can stack the cards all they want... but unless they get Mac, Brock or GSP on there... they ain't going to do it. They are the only players at that level.

not sure if they will even break 750 K on their best seller.
Well, that's also a pretty illusive number. Silva used to be one of the big players, but his drawing power is gone now. DC/Jones did it twice... & could likely do it a 3rd time if he gets cleared to fight next month. There's also talk of Brock coming back. Melzer said that McGregor is reported to be nearing a deal... & word is that he wants to fight twice this year. We will see... but there is some good superstar potential in the makings.

A well stacked card without one of them could possibly do 4 or 500k We have to go all the way back to UFC 181 in 2014 to see Hendrix vs. Lawler 2 break the low end without one of the superstars... & that just did 400k.

I just point this stuff out to say we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations. Throwing out PPV numberz of a million or even 750k & saying that the UFC is dying unless they match those numbers... is not very realistic when you consider that there are only 3 players (& possibly a rematch of DC vs Jones 3) in teh game right now who could possibly do it.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
MyrddinWild @MyrddinWild

Again, please listen to what I am saying. Have you ever seen a Titan or LFA or ROC or Cage Warrior card that was entertaining? I have and I am sure you have as well. But that don't mean it was PPV worthy.

Shoot, I could even go see a local smoker that is entertaing aint ppv worthy. Maybe UFC 221 was entertainign to you but that card is weaker than even most free fox cards.

Honestly, not only was the main card at ufc 146 better, if you look at the prelims, even the prelims on ufc 146 where more stacked. If you are gonna charge 65 bucks, you better not put Gian Villante, Franciar Barroso or Saberbek Saforov on there. No how no way man

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
I love how you avoided the actual real card , ufc 146 he provided.

The fucking prelims on ufc 146 where better than these ,main card ufc ppvs
What're you talking about? 146 wasn't in his post that I quoted. He made up three fantasy cards.

Even then, on paper 146 wasn't even close to one of the best cards of all time.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
What're you talking about? 146 wasn't in his post that I quoted. He made up three fantasy cards.

Even then, on paper 146 wasn't even close to one of the best cards of all time.

Not in his post but in the thread. Did you read only his post and none of the others?

The freaking prelims on UFC 146, prelims for crying out loud, where way stacked the UFC 221 main card LOL

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
Not in his post but in the thread. Did you read only his post and none of the others?

The freaking prelims on UFC 146, prelims for crying out loud, where way stacked the UFC 221 main card LOL
I've skimmed through from like the middle of page two to here.

But okay, sure. That's only one card though & it wasnt greater by a large amount. Maybe in name value. But facts are that Hardy was on a four fight losing streak at the time, Ludwig, journeyman. Varner was supposed to be a sacrificial lamb for Barboza & Elkins had yet to establish himself as anything more than a durable, grinding gatekeeper. CB vs Mayhem was the most legit fight on the prelims for that one.

You also have to look at it on paper when talking about PPV stuff, like i mentioned.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Drake @Drake ;

Wow, what up with the spin doctoring. You are trying to discredit guys like Varner, Bang and Hardy wtf. Are we not fight fans? Varner whatever you want to call him, sacrifical whatever, but that coming in was a great fight and proved to be PPV worthy through and through. That is a 100% no brainer.

Same for Bang Hardy and the rest.

Also, if you look at just about every card from 2015 and earlier, its beats these current PPV's every time out in 2018.

That UFC 146 card speaks for itself, that is a thing of beauty. These current PPVS are absolute shit, complete absolute shit. The peopel are speaking in the loudest way, more than 50% drop in PPV. Casuals are telling WME to fuck off, both in their wallets and even at watercooler talk at work, even casuals are talking about. I almost fell out of my seat laughing at work when the heavy lady at my work who loves MMA talking about the bs going on, and a dude, these people are casuals. Trust me they ain't going on any MMA forum.

It is actually still trending downward and not even flattening out. There are only so many Gegard's and Rory's, you let them walk and you will hurt. There are only so many casuals you can count on when even they are turning off to your product.

It's gotten to the point that a halfway decent PPV with Khabib vs Tony will be talked about like it's stacked when it woudl not even hold a canlde to many pre UFC 200 cards.

It's no accident that a buy rate drops by 50% in PPV sales. Uggh, we get to see Cyborg destroy some hot blond now in a soon to be coming PPV main event, Cyborg coming in at line of 14 to 1. Think about that. Shit main event.

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
Drake @Drake ;

Wow, what up with the spin doctoring. You are trying to discredit guys like Varner, Bang and Hardy wtf. Are we not fight fans? Varner whatever you want to call him, sacrifical whatever, but that coming in was a great fight and proved to be PPV worthy through and through. That is a 100% no brainer.

Same for Bang Hardy and the rest.

Also, if you look at just about every card from 2015 and earlier, its beats these current PPV's every time out in 2018.

That UFC 146 card speaks for itself, that is a thing of beauty. These current PPVS are absolute shit, complete absolute shit. The peopel are speaking in the loudest way, more than 50% drop in PPV. Casuals are telling WME to fuck off, both in their wallets and even at watercooler talk at work, even casuals are talking about. I almost fell out of my seat laughing at work when the heavy lady at my work who loves MMA talking about the bs going on, and a dude, these people are casuals. Trust me they ain't going on any MMA forum.

It is actually still trending downward and not even flattening out. There are only so many Gegard's and Rory's, you let them walk and you will hurt. There are only so many casuals you can count on when even they are turning off to your product.

It's gotten to the point that a halfway decent PPV with Khabib vs Tony will be talked about like it's stacked when it woudl not even hold a canlde to many pre UFC 200 cards.

It's no accident that a buy rate drops by 50% in PPV sales. Uggh, we get to see Cyborg destroy some hot blond now in a soon to be coming PPV main event, Cyborg coming in at line of 14 to 1. Think about that. Shit main event.
I'm not really disagreeing with you that they aren't as good as they used to be. I think you're just overexaggerating the difference. For a recent example, 218 > 146.

There are even better examples than 146 to use. Why not 148 or 144? There are actually many examples. Again, not disagreeing with you. Just don't think...specifically, that the 146 prelims were way more stacked that 221's main card. If you took away the main event though, then I'd probably be more inclined to agree with that.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not really disagreeing with you that they aren't as good as they used to be. I think you're just overexaggerating the difference. For a recent example, 218 > 146.

There are even better examples than 146 to use. Why not 148 or 144? There are actually many examples. Again, not disagreeing with you. Just don't think...specifically, that the 146 prelims were way more stacked that 221's main card. If you took away the main event though, then I'd probably be more inclined to agree with that.

Well I think that's a happy medium wen can come too. I still believe very strongly in the topic of how shitty the product has become, but I respect how you feel.

I still feel the same though about my point LOL

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
Well I think that's a happy medium wen can come too. I still believe very strongly in the topic of how shitty the product has become, but I respect how you feel.

I still feel the same though about my point LOL
It has definitely lowered. It's nearly impossible to argue that it hasn't.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hi loser, please keep stalking me. It gives you something to do with your life. Seems like you nothing going on.

Maybe if you stalk me enough you can get that pink name you had yesterday

It suits you

Suits you better bro

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
When did this place become the negative zone???

We have never had it so good . We’re spoilt for events. It’s not the uFC’s fault their top stars can’t control themselves and used PEDs or a coke heads.