General Everything is alright.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
As some of you know my wife and I are expecting. We went for a doctors appointment a couple of weeks ago and they asked if we wanted a genetics test. We said sure and they took some blood and ran the test. Last week the lab called us and said there was an abnormality and we had to go to the hospital and see the doctor. It turned out that we had 1 in 32 chance of having a downs syndrome baby. The only way we could know for sure was to have a amniotic test, which has a .5% chance of causing a miscarriage.

That was 5 days ago. In the last five days my wife got a red light ticket (camera thing about 300 bucks), I touched the corner of a cement parking block and broke the bumper on my car and we found out that we owe 5 grand on our taxes.

I've been stressed the fuck out for the last few days but it all went away when we found out today that everything is all good and we are having a girl. Life is alright.

Last edited:

Poor girl is having a baby pony...All the best to you both mate. As You said...Life is good. :)

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
Good man, you will be a great dad.

Get some sleep while you can and practise walking in and out of the front door carrying next to nothing as you won't be able to do either soon ;)

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You'll have to induce her, which should be fun ;)

Congrats :cheers:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Double post. My phone must not have been awake yet.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
We went for a doctors appointment a couple of weeks ago and they asked if we wanted a genetics test. We said sure and they took some blood and ran the test. Last week the lab called us and said there was an abnormality and we had to go to the hospital and see the doctor. It turned out that we had 1 in 32 chance of having a downs syndrome baby. The only way we could know for sure was to have a amniotic test, which has a .5% chance of causing a miscarriage.

First off man, congrats on the upcoming kiddo!
First or...?

Not to beat up on your Doctor, but that test can often have false positives and you end up with the potential of running down this stressful chain of workup. I wish they have given you those pros and cons ahead of time just so you would have known.

A lot of patients feel it'll just stress them out and won't change their plans for the baby anyways. So they skip the testing to not even have the chance of making that decision. I don't envy such a difficulty choice you had to make!

Glad it all worked and especially that you can breath easy now!

Shoot me your address in PM before the baby is due. I wanna send you a baby shower gift on behalf of the site :)

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
First off man, congrats on the upcoming kiddo!
First or...?

Not to beat up on your Doctor, but that test can often have false positives and you end up with the potential of running down this stressful chain of workup. I wish they have given you those pros and cons ahead of time just so you would have known.

A lot of patients feel it'll just stress them out and won't change their plans for the baby anyways. So they skip the testing to not even have the chance of making that decision. I don't envy such a difficulty choice you had to make!

Glad it all worked and especially that you can breath easy now!

Shoot me your address in PM before the baby is due. I wanna send you a baby shower gift on behalf of the site :)
I have a son who'll be ten by the time the girl arrives. This one was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't trying not to have a kid but I wasn't really trying to have one either. After almost ten years (it only took two weeks for the first one) I kind of figured we wouldn't have another.

My wife's OB was upfront about how the test wasn't needed and some people don't get it but there was a higher chance of issues when you are over 40. Belle and I wanted to get the test done since we would want to know if there was going to be an issue. It was the 1 in 32 chance that got us worried since they pull you in to tell you there might be a problem at 1 in 250 and the only group lower than ours was 1 in 8. It sure was nice when she got the call saying things were all good.

Thanks for the gift offer. I'll let you know my address before the baby shows up in august.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Congrats! Our second and third babies had that same thing happen. We were waiting for the results to come back and we went to the zoo. We must have seen a dozen adults with down syndrome with their elderly parents with them. My wife totally broke down. It was a mess. Thankfully, our kids turned out fine.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Congrats! Our second and third babies had that same thing happen. We were waiting for the results to come back and we went to the zoo. We must have seen a dozen adults with down syndrome with their elderly parents with them. My wife totally broke down. It was a mess. Thankfully, our kids turned out fine.
Thank sucks bro, the waiting suckes. I'm glad things were ok for you in the end.

My wife was upset while they did the test. We were watching the ultrasound and you could see the needle right in front of the baby. She was crying trying not to move, it was pretty shitty. We didn't go anywhere that had kids while we were waiting for the results. Just stuck around the house.