FACT: Jack Dempsey would have wiped out today's UFC HW division

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

^Jack Dempsey mercilessly pummelling a man who is 6'7", 245lbs

Lets look at the facts

-chewed pine tar gum to strengthen his jaw and soaked his face in brine to toughen his skin.
-pimped his wife out for $$$ when the economy was bad
-beat up two young muggers when he was in his 70s

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
bit small right?

maybe in his own weight class I could agree with 6 months sprawl training
6'1" with 77" inch reach, which incidentally is the exact same as Cain

He was 190-195 but that was with 1920's nutrition. I reckon Jack would have been a solid 230 with today's diet. We're talking about a guy who spent a good portion of his adulthood as a hobo hitching rides on the back of trains.

NHBStriker

Posting Machine
Sep 5, 2015
My avatar appreciates your confidence, but against even modern day heavyweight Boxing champions, much less UFC champions, he would have gotten his ass whooped.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
My avatar appreciates your confidence, but against even modern day heavyweight Boxing champions, much less UFC champions, he would have gotten his ass whooped.
Half these fellas can't take a punch (overeem), and the other half can't seem to throw a few punches without having a heart attack (ngannou).

Jack hit like a mack truck and was used to fighting for 15 rounds

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016

^Jack Dempsey mercilessly pummelling a man who is 6'7", 245lbs

Lets look at the facts

-chewed pine tar gum to strengthen his jaw and soaked his face in brine to toughen his skin.
-pimped his wife out for $$$ when the economy was bad
-beat up two young muggers when he was in his 70s

Obviously an all time great but too small to deal with the best heavies since the Lewis era
If talking just today, he might be able to take some of them but guys like Lewis and both Klitchko take Dempsey

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Obviously an all time great but too small to deal with the best heavies since the Lewis era
If talking just today, he might be able to take some of them but guys like Lewis and both Klitchko take Dempsey
Oh yeah he'd get smoked by the giants in boxing today, I'm talking about the bums in the UFC

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jesus if he can't Bisping's power hows he gonna handle the Manassa Mauler?
Bisping would embarrass Jack on the feet unfortunately.

FACT: Combat athletes who were in thier prime pre 1980s would get shit kicked by todays gatekeepers.

The average CrossFit dad has a better diet and S&C routine then the legends of the past. Single discipline strikers are useless by todays standards in a fight.

#justthefacts

M

member 1013

Bisping would embarrass Jack on the feet unfortunately.

FACT: Combat athletes who were in thier prime pre 1980s would get shit kicked by todays gatekeepers.

The average CrossFit dad has a better diet and S&C routine then the legends of the past. Single discipline strikers are useless by todays standards in a fight.

#justthefacts
Did you just say Derrick Lewis has better conditioning than old school boxers? Or anyone that has conditioning?

The skill with which today's fighters use their weapons would be unlike anything Dempsey had faced.
But, had he access to today's coaches...

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Did you just say Derrick Lewis has better conditioning than old school boxers? Or anyone that has conditioning?
Yes. I put FACT first so you can't really debate it.

Jack Dempsey would KO Bisping or submit him... what ever he felt like at the time

Which one is Jack? Either way that's poor hand positioning and other guy isn't defending properly. Grimacing while doing a push up will never stop a sub.

M

member 1013

Yes. I put FACT first so you can't really debate it.

Which one is Jack? Either way that's poor hand positioning and other guy isn't defending properly. Grimacing while doing a push up will never stop a sub.
FACT I have been pwnt

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
WHo did Jack Dempsey fight in his day that was on the skill level of a Stipe or a Lennox or Anthony Joshua or Mark Hunt in terms of pure striking and being able to take a punch.

Not hating just asking. Dempsey would be a better technical boxer than hunt, but in a mma fight all Hunt needs to do is land one, could Dempsey take that kind of strike. Could he deal with the jab of Lennox. Or even the power of Rumble Johnson.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
Fact. When you say something that isn't a fact, followed by the word fact, it makes you a freeking childish moron. That's the fact, Jack.

The Sound of Violence

Host of a podcast about mma podcasts
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah...Jack somewhat ducked Ed Strangler Lewis back in the day so I'm not real confident in him having any success. Plus there's this quote, which sounds like some Floyd Mayweather levels of optimism

"Even the proposed participants joined the fun, each outlining his view of the probable outcome and the tactics he would employ. Dempsey, in a story in the Rochester (N.Y.) American of Dec. 10, 1922, noted that "if the match ever went through, I think I'd be mighty tempted to try to beat that wrestler at his own game. I've done a lot of wrestling as part of my preliminary training and I think I've got the old toehold and headlock down close to perfection. If I can win the first fall from him, I'll begin to use my fists. But I've got a funny little hunch that maybe I can dump him without rapping him on the chin." This declaration was not just publicity talk, according to persons who knew Dempsey. He really had done some wrestling in his younger days, and though he was not very successful at it, he firmly believed he could lick anyone on the mat."

And Ed sounding like just about every modern grappler when talking about a crossover fight

"...I could cover up long enough to get hold of him, and once I got hold, he would not have a chance, because he does not know how to break wrestling holds and I am stronger than he is. Of course there is one chance in a thousand that he might hit me with a punch hard enough to knock me out before I could get hold of him, but that is only one chance. I am sincere about the match and will put up $25,000 in real money to bet that I can beat him."

The Strangler vs. The Mauler

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Sounds like a bunch of B.S.

Dempsey had the balls to fight black fighters back then (something that can't be said for guys like Tunney). Dempsey was all man

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Half these fellas can't take a punch (overeem), and the other half can't seem to throw a few punches without having a heart attack (ngannou).

Jack hit like a mack truck and was used to fighting for 15 rounds
Curtis Blaydes would spear him through the cage...Rumble would decapitate him with a head kick or uppercut