Familial High Cholesterol?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Mine has been creeping up from 219 when I was in my 20s to 254 now. My whole family has shit cholesterol, but I recall when my gall bladder was going, it went down to 170 because I wasn't digesting fat, so I probably COULD lower it again just by avoiding meat, I guess.

Anyone beat familiar high cholesterol without meds?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Yeah i used to have High cholesterol also genetically. My diet is lets say bodybuilding specific so its tough because of what i eat but i spent a lot of time and changed things up to fix it. Veggie juicing really helped.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah i used to have High cholesterol also genetically. My diet is lets say bodybuilding specific so its tough because of what i eat but i spent a lot of time and changed things up to fix it. Veggie juicing really helped.
what else did you change besides juicing? I tend toward an "indulgent" diet and cheese and meats are highly represented...

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
what else did you change besides juicing? I tend toward an "indulgent" diet and cheese and meats are highly represented...
I dont eat cheese, and i only have red meat every so often. I have egg white shakes that i make with 2 cups of egg whites, 2 tbsp of organic PB and a banana, i also do lots of organic chicken, sweet pototoes. You have to be careful with simple carbs and complex carbs here is something i wrote on my PT facebook page
View: https://www.facebook.com/newimagetraining/photos/a.360684620699060.1073741826.360681684032687/634301363337383/?type=1&theater
. Also water with lemon will help, as well as throwing some apple cider vinegar in there, just make sure you really dilute it with water. Fruits are good but not in abundance, very specific times of the day berries are great antioxidants. Its just a matter of really tightening it up. Doesnt mean you cant have fun meals, i still had fun meals before i started my specific diet im on now. Just make sure you are about 90 percent clean 10 percent fun, which will give you a cheat meal once or twice on the weekends thats it. Stay away from sugar that is a killer.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Agree with pitbull 100%.
Refined food, processed, sugars, non-organic....it's killing the world.
An abundance and propagation of enriched breads and booze is creating a diabetic species, and prediabetic in the mix with a casual diet combines for high cholesterol.

My triglycerides have routinely been around 800 forever.
I juice at least a few times every week, eat less, etc.
Juicing has saved my life, that I'm sure of. At least it's saved me from myself.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I think I might ditch meat in favor of fish and lose the cheese altogether.

...although, I hear total cholesterol isn't as bad as they made it out to be years ago. It's more about the ratio of HDL to LDL?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
threads like this scare the shit out of me as I don't have health insurance :/

I'm 35 and not overweight but I have bad eating habits but have started exercising again. My insurance is crossing my fingers.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
threads like this scare the shit out of me as I don't have health insurance :/

I'm 35 and not overweight but I have bad eating habits but have started exercising again. My insurance is crossing my fingers.
Well, if you already know your habits aren't the best, change them. I wouldn't count on great genetics, although my wife eats the same way I do and her Cholesterol is like 150, so go figure. a LOT has to do with genetics, but I believe through drastic measures you can usually overcome them.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
man I'm trying to change my habits, i really am. unfortunately i had a slip up last night. I had been real good the last 10 days or so in terms of not late night eating, but last night I finished what was left on the potato chips, ate about 3-4 m and m cookies, then made two sandwiches, all after 11:30pm.

I also have shit sleeping habits and SO much throughout the day I tell myself, "go to bed earlier tonight, go to bed earlier tonight", but then night comes and my mind just wants to watch tv shows or fuck around on the internet. Rinse and repeat.

(i threw up this morning which is fairly normal when i eat late at night. i was doing this regularly until i realized it was my late night eating that was giving me problems in the morning. i thought it was stress)

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015

...although, I hear total cholesterol isn't as bad as they made it out to be years ago. It's more about the ratio of HDL to LDL?
Correct it is about hdl and ldl. Red yeast rice can also help lower bad cholesterol and raise the good.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Correct it is about hdl and ldl. Red yeast rice can also help lower bad cholesterol and raise the good.
i heard that was a scam- it USED to work, but was too close to a pharmaceutical that was patented, and the FDA made the manufacturers take the active ingredient out.

I am totally open to suggestions, tho.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015

i think maybe changing the type of meat you eat could make a difference? I believe fish and poultry are healthier than red meat and pork.

Transfat is the one thats bad for you. Hydrogenated oil. Stuff in processed food. I think the unsaturated natural fat stuff like extra-virgin olive oil is supposed to help with cholesterol and flax seeds and things.

I think red meat, dairy, cheese, eggs, are part of the saturated fat. Which is supposed to be in the middle. like not terrible but no that great either.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
i think maybe changing the type of meat you eat could make a difference? I believe fish and poultry are healthier than red meat and pork.

Transfat is the one thats bad for you. Hydrogenated oil. Stuff in processed food. I think the unsaturated natural fat stuff like extra-virgin olive oil is supposed to help with cholesterol and flax seeds and things.

I think red meat, dairy, cheese, eggs, are part of the saturated fat. Which is supposed to be in the middle. like not terrible but no that great either.
Extra virgin olive oil is good just beware of the brand as some are not exactly what they say they are. Berio is a good brand. Also coconut oil is good as well as avocado oil. Organic peanut butter is good for good fats as well as almond butter.

Peter I didn't hear that about RYR but you never know these days lol

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Extra virgin olive oil is good just beware of the brand as some are not exactly what they say they are. Berio is a good brand. Also coconut oil is good as well as avocado oil. Organic peanut butter is good for good fats as well as almond butter.

Peter I didn't hear that about RYR but you never know these days lol
yeah i heard about that. Some brands lie or something right? like it turns out they pretend they came from italy but it turns out they were from china and lied on their labels about what they were really made of.

or were you referring to another thing?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
yeah i heard about that. Some brands lie or something right? like it turns out they pretend they came from italy but it turns out they were from china and lied on their labels about what they were really made of.

or were you referring to another thing?
Pretty much this.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
this was pretty interesting Cholesterol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the table of study results contradicts what the article actually says, which is that sat fats leads to high cholesterol leads to CAD leads to higher mortality. I don't get it. Coconut oil, for example has the highest sat fat content of all the oils, per Saturated fat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so what is the REAL culprit? More and more, it seems to be genetics...
There are so many different studies done that say coconut oil is good and some say it's bad it's crazy lol. Me personally I stick with extra virgin olive oil. I also use coconut oil but not a lot of it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Correct it is about hdl and ldl.
Kind of. But not really anymore.
We are learning that non-HDL is highly important and probably as important as LDL in poor outcomes. So those triglycerides that don't mean anything on their own ( in the 150-500 range) result in a higher non-HDL and has been proven to increase atherosclerotic cardio vascular disease (ASCVD)

Red yeast rice can also help lower bad cholesterol and raise the good.

True. It's well proven but effect is minimal. It should be added to anyone that is only mildly elevated along with more lifestyle options. 3-6 months later get checked again. Still high? Go get a statin drug and swallow your pride. Most new studies are showing that you can't personally control a majority of your cholesterol profile. It might just happen in spite of your best efforts. Your effort might still be worth low dose drug vs no drug. Or low dose drug instead of high dose drug. So still try, but the reality is that if you are not obese and you are moderately active, you don't have a lot more control over your cholesterol (exception be damned! We are talking population level).

I see a lot of confusion in this thread? I am pretty swamped but if you have specific questions I'll answer things. This is NOT medical advice! :)

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Kind of. But not really anymore.
We are learning that non-HDL is highly important and probably as important as LDL in poor outcomes. So those triglycerides that don't mean anything on their own ( in the 150-500 range) result in a higher non-HDL and has been proven to increase atherosclerotic cardio vascular disease (ASCVD)

True. It's well proven but effect is minimal. It should be added to anyone that is only mildly elevated along with more lifestyle options. 3-6 months later get checked again. Still high? Go get a statin drug and swallow your pride. Most new studies are showing that you can't personally control a majority of your cholesterol profile. It might just happen in spite of your best efforts. Your effort might still be worth low dose drug vs no drug. Or low dose drug instead of high dose drug. So still try, but the reality is that if you are not obese and you are moderately active, you don't have a lot more control over your cholesterol (exception be damned! We are talking population level).

I see a lot of confusion in this thread? I am pretty swamped but if you have specific questions I'll answer things. This is NOT medical advice! :)
Not confusion at all just things change all the time. When it comes I nutrition new things and studies come out all the time. That's why its important to stay current. I recently got certified in sports nutrition and even since then some new textbooks I read have different suggestions and "facts". What is funny is the people who have the least amount of knowledge about exercise and nutrition are doctors lol.

Statins can be worse then anything have some studies have shown they do more harm then good especially Lipitor and Crestor. Yes some people will just not have good cholesterol no matter what but if your diet is on point and you are exercising you can at least ensure you will be in good health to spite the numbers.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Veggie juicing really helped.
whats a good juicer?

ive been seeing these infomercials with nutri bullet and nutri ninja and stuff. Im wondering if its all a gimmick or this stuff is legit.

Is it much better than using a normal blender?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
whats a good juicer?

ive been seeing these infomercials with nutri bullet and nutri ninja and stuff. Im wondering if its all a gimmick or this stuff is legit.

Is it much better than using a normal blender?
I have the Omega Vrt and it's great.