Fantasy/SciFi novels

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So I'm pretty new to the genre and honestly not an avid reader but really enjoy these books. I was told to start off with The Legend of Drizzt so I did and I love it. I'm at book 9 Starless Night and its still keeping my interest which is what I struggle to find with many books. I also started The Way of Shadows trilogy by Brent Weeks which I liked and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss which is pretty cool too.

You guys read any fantasy? If so could you recommend me some more please?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Edited to include Sci-fi as I'm wanting to get into some good space shit as well

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
I'm more of a horror guy, but for sci fi I do love me some Dick, Philip K. I have a couple Heinlein books on my kindle I'm excited to try as well.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm more of a horror guy, but for sci fi I do love me some Dick, Philip K. I have a couple Heinlein books on my kindle I'm excited to try as well.
Never even tried or know of a horror novel. Tell me your top 3 or so and I'll have a look. The more I look into fiction it's crazy how many sub genres are out there. What does it take to be considered a horror? Same as a movie I assume?

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Some SF Classics off the top of my head:

Robert Heinlein: Starship Troopers; Stranger in a Strange Land; Friday... loads more

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

Alfred Bester: The Stars My Destination; The Demolished Man

Joe Haldeman: Forever War

Frank Herbert: Dune series

Next few are subgenre of SF called 'Cyberpunk'

William Gibson:

Neuromancer; Count Zero; Mona Lisa Overdrive ... he has more but Neuromancer put him on the map and with the other 2 me to bed makes up the Sprawl Trilogy

Rudy Rucker: Ware Tetralogy (Software, Wetware, Freeware, Realware)

Philip K Dick mentioned already ... a few of his books were made into movies... Blade Runner, Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, The Adjustment Bureau

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Steve Perry (not the forner lead singer of Journey) ... The Matador series, start with The Man Who Never Missed and not The 97th Step which is prequel... read it in published order

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Some SF Classics off the top of my head:

Robert Heinlein: Starship Troopers; Stranger in a Strange Land; Friday... loads more

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

Alfred Bester: The Stars My Destination; The Demolished Man

Joe Haldeman: Forever War

Frank Herbert: Dune series

Next few are subgenre of SF called 'Cyberpunk'

William Gibson:

Neuromancer; Count Zero; Mona Lisa Overdrive ... he has more but Neuromancer put him on the map and with the other 2 me to bed makes up the Sprawl Trilogy

Rudy Rucker: Ware Tetralogy (Software, Wetware, Freeware, Realware)

Philip K Dick mentioned already ... a few of his books were made into movies... Blade Runner, Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, The Adjustment Bureau
Thanks for these. I've read Neuromancer and thought it was pretty cool especially for when it was written. Fahrenheit 451 wasn't for me but I'd like to read Starship troopers. Dune I find rather intimidating ;)

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Fantasy classics

JRR Tolkien ... The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Terry Brooks ... Shannara series. His first book The Sword of Shannara is very similar to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

Dragonlance series - iirc set in the same milieu of Drizzt... speaking of Drizzt, author R A Salvatore has other books set in same world

Thieve's World series ... multiple authors share the same world

Fritz Lieber ... Fafhrd and Gray Mouser series... if you like the interplay between Tolkien's Legolas and Gimli, you should like this

Robert E Howard - Conan and many more

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just for my own curiosity how do you geeks view or rate the Drizzt series?

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
I loved the Drizzt series

Did you start with his own series or the trilogy he first appeared in?

It's been ages, don't recall exact names and order in which they published

The Crystal Shard, The Halfling's Gem and last book

Will Google

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I loved the Drizzt series

Did you start with his own series or the trilogy he first appeared in?

It's been ages, don't recall exact names and order in which they published

The Crystal Shard, The Halfling's Gem and last book

Will Google
I started with Homeland and fucking loved it. I googled the chronological order and chose that of date of publication. I find the books read like action movies with some cool lessons learned stuff like his journal entries or whatever they were. When I play game Skyrim and Oblivion I can't help but chose a dark elf. Fuck the Spider Queen.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Can somebody recommend me some fantasy or SciFi books that are more adult? I mean like lots of cursing, major descriptive violence, sex or anything else similar.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
SF

Orson Scott Card... Ender's Game and a few more in the series

David Drake ... Hammer's Slammers

Don't recall author offhand ... the Stainless Steel Rat books

Fantasy

Glen Cook ... The Black Company books

Last edited:

El_Varaco

Apr 15, 2015
If you like cyberpunk then try the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan

it starts with Altered Carbon

(from wiki)
In the novel's somewhat dystopian world, human personalities can be stored digitally and downloaded into new bodies, called sleeves. Most people have cortical stacks in their spinal columns that store their memories. If their body dies, their stack can be stored indefinitely. Catholics have arranged that they will not be resleeved as they believe that the soul goes to Heaven when they die, and so would not pass on to the new sleeve. This makes Catholics targets for murder, since killers know their victim will not be resleeved to testify. A UN resolution to alter this legal position forms one strand of the novel's plot, to allow the authorities to sleeve a deceased Catholic woman temporarily to testify in a murder trial.

While most people can afford to get resleeved at the end of their lives, they are unable to update their bodies and most go through the full ageing process each time which discourages most from resleeving more than once or twice. So while normal people can live indefinitely in theory, most choose not to. Only the wealthy are able to acquire replacement bodies on a continual basis. The long-lived are called Meths, a reference to the Biblical figure Methuselah. The very rich are also able to keep copies of their minds in remote storage, which they update regularly. This ensures that even if their stack is destroyed, they can be resleeved.

The Subterrene War series by TC McCarthy is good too

it starts with Germline but peaks at the third book Chimera

(from Amazon)
Germline (n.) the genetic material contained in a cellular lineage which can be passed to the next generation. Also: secret military program to develop genetically engineered super-soldiers (slang).

War is Oscar Wendell's ticket to greatness. A reporter for The Stars and Stripes, he has the only one way pass to the front lines of a brutal war over natural resources buried underneath the icy, mineral rich mountains of Kazakhstan.

But war is nothing like he expected. Heavily armored soldiers battle genetically engineered troops hundreds of meters below the surface. The genetics-the germline soldiers-are the key to winning this war, but some inventions can't be un-done. Some technologies can't be put back in the box.

Kaz will change everything, not least Oscar himself. Hooked on a dangerous cocktail of adrenaline and drugs, Oscar doesn't find the war, the war finds him.

If you want something with a more Trekkie vibe you can try The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell

Starts with Dauntless:

(from wiki)
he Alliance has been fighting the Syndicate Worlds (a union of planets under a tyrannical, corporate-like government) for a century. The Alliance, however, has obtained a "hypernet key" from a Syndic traitor, allowing them to send a large fleet through a hypernet gate to directly attack the Syndic homeworld. This turns out to be a trap and the remnants of the Alliance fleet find themselves at the mercy of overwhelming Syndic forces.

During the approach to the Syndic homeworld, the fleet had discovered the escape pod of Captain John Geary in an abandoned star system. Known as "Black Jack" in the present, his legendary exploits are taught to every schoolchild and he is revered for his heroic last stand in the early days of the war. The Black Jack Geary legend includes the expectation that one day he will return from the dead to lead the Alliance fleet to victory. Awakened from hibernation, the posthumously-promoted survivor still sees himself as a regular and all-too fallible naval officer, one who could not possibly live up to his flawlessly heroic legend. After an act of Syndic treachery during surrender negotiations, Geary, as the most senior captain, is left as the de facto fleet commander and with great reluctance takes it upon himself to lead the fleet to the safety of Alliance space. Geary does this in the knowledge that the survival of the hypernet key, the fleet, and of the Alliance itself, all depend on him.

NOTE: It's not as well written as the first two but it's a good read, and really explores how battleships battles in space (using ships that are capable of FTL travel).

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Ah yeah, you reco'd the Takeshi Kovacs to me earlier, didn't read yet, on my To Read list

Thx for reminder!!